Are new 2013 Focus's having same issues as 2012? - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #61
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
This is true. Even if we're blowing the issues out of proportion (which we're not. lol) Dealers are turning away complaints without even looking for an oil leak. Is that also "normal"?
Praton, how many dealers have you gone to? I don't remember you saying...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #62
Jim_J
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109775
What I Drive: 2013 Silver SE with a shudder trans

FF Reputation: 1 Jim_J Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Regular manual clutches? average is probably 90k miles, but I've hear people saying they've hit nearly 300k miles. I don't see why a computer-controlled clutch can't have 1/10 the life of a manual clutch...
You would think with two clutches splitting the load and a nice robot to shift crisply without slipping, it would last longer than the car would hold together if designed correctly.

I've abused clutches in manuals heavily with oversized tires and intentional slipping and still got over 100k.

What I wonder is if ford or getrag has published an expected clutch life metric.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #63
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_J View Post
and what does ford do? Send the dealers a memo telling them to tell the customer that transmission drivability issues are normal operation, which is happening even in cases where the clutches are ruined.

Are you referring to this one? This does not say that extreme grinding or shuddering is normal. Some unscrupulous dealers may be using this as an excuse to get out of unprofitable (to them) warranty work.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...75&postcount=1
Old 02-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #64
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Praton, how many dealers have you gone to? I don't remember you saying...
Umm 3-4? But it's probably been over 10 DCT-related visits counting all of the TSB re-flashes before 12B37 came out

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Are you referring to this one? This does not say that extreme grinding or shuddering is normal. Some unscrupulous dealers may be using this as an excuse to get out of unprofitable (to them) warranty work.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...75&postcount=1
Well they say the shuddering is normal because it's not a regular automatic and they say "Oh, that metallic grinding noise? Here it is - 'metal double-clicking' - normal."

EDIT: I'm still planning on trying another dealer in Illinois when it gets warm out. It's just harder to convince the dealer that there's an issue when it grinds less because it's cold, my 15" tires are less of a load on the clutch and it's hard to hear it driving over ice. And who wants to drive with the windows down right now?
Old 02-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #65
13Titanium
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109547
What I Drive: 2013, Silver, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 13Titanium Good Standing Member
When did they have the 12B37 flash? Would the 13's already have this? Are a lot of you still having problems after this flash?
Old 02-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #66
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Titanium View Post
When did they have the 12B37 flash? Would the 13's already have this? Are a lot of you still having problems after this flash?
It only affected the 2012 model year. Some are, some aren't.

Last edited by PratoN; 02-25-2013 at 01:48 PM. Reason: typo >.<
Old 02-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #67
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Titanium View Post
When did they have the 12B37 flash? Would the 13's already have this?
12B37 defines a service campaign and procedure to update firmware on certain 2012 Focuses. It is N/A for 2013 models.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:51 AM   #68
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110640
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium Hatch 18" Plat White

FF Reputation: 2 PandT Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
It's a Dual-Clutch Automated Manual transmission. Low-speed shudder is normal for automated-manuals on ANY car, ANY make.
I hope this quote works...
Ah, the low speed shudder explained, I was worried a bit, just passed the 200 mile mark and now at 318, the initial banging or mush shifting went away just as the manual and dealer explained but the low speed shudder remains and I am getting used to the what I called poor response from the tranny when powering through corners after slowing down, some learning curve involved here.

The more I drive it the better I like it but there is a substantial learning curve as to throttle position and expected response from anything that I have driven before. The tranny does NOT act as I expected but from everything that I have been voraciously reading for the last several days it is normal operation and takes some getting used to. I am still learning the quirks in a mix of "Eco" driving and "Spirited" driving, the shifting is Not the same as it has been on any previous car that I have owned.

I like this car and I expect that I will like it even more when I learn how to properly drive it in both modes since it does Not act the same from my perspective in tame and spirited driving but discovery can be a good thing and I am having a great time learning...
Old 03-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #69
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandT View Post
just passed the 200 mile mark and now at 318, the initial banging or mush shifting went away just as the manual and dealer explained but the low speed shudder remains and I am getting used to the what I called poor response from the tranny when powering through corners after slowing down, some learning curve involved here.
If it's normal for all DCTs, the part that I don't understand is why turning off traction control eliminates the low-speed shudder.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #70
vacman
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107472
What I Drive: '13 5M white Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 vacman Good Standing Member
Go drive an M3 or M5, or even a Golf tdi and you will quickly realize that it is not endemic to all DCTs, just this one.

Bookmarks & Social Networks