Going back to Sport Automatic mode - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 12:33 AM   #21
Monkeygrits
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Fan#: 47691
Location: SW PA
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Hatch

Posts: 109
Points 466, Level 9
Points: 466, Level: 9 Points: 466, Level: 9 Points: 466, Level: 9
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Monkeygrits Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Guess we will have to agree to disagree. Driving in the mountains of PA, WV I was not impressed by the DCT. 5th gear goes anywhere here on the freeway holding it's speed with the cruise set while the DCT searched for a new gear on the hills. I did t think the DCT felt refined at all. Shifts are slushy and obviously geared for fuel economy. I think the 5 speed is better geared for the power and torque this car has. And you have to agree those little buttons on the shifter of the DCT are a joke.
__________________
2013 Ruby Red Focus SE Hatch
2009 Vivid Red Mercury Mariner Premier
2003 Azure Blue Mustang Mach 1
Monkeygrits is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #22
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic
 
RonMaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Fan#: 99230
Location: Littleton, CO
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

Posts: 4,107
Points 4,098, Level 40
Points: 4,098, Level: 40 Points: 4,098, Level: 40 Points: 4,098, Level: 40
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The power runs I've seen in a few car rags had the manual running 15.8-16 flat in the 1/4 and the few numbers I've seen run with the DCT have been no better than a 16.3. I test drove 3 DCTs before I bought my 5 spd and none of them really responded well to WOT acceleration.
__________________
'12 Focus Red Candy SE Sport 5 spd
'99 Toyota 4Runner Sport
'11 Subaru WRX STI Hatch
RonMaiden is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #23
spiderpig
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Fan#: 107025
Location: Telford, PA
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Focus Titanium

Posts: 126
FF Reputation: 2 spiderpig Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Are you guys able to shift better with the powershift in manual mode? I haven't really used it yet.
spiderpig is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #24
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88299
Location: Torrance, CA
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Posts: 3,066
Points 3,767, Level 38
Points: 3,767, Level: 38 Points: 3,767, Level: 38 Points: 3,767, Level: 38
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
The power runs I've seen in a few car rags had the manual running 15.8-16 flat in the 1/4 and the few numbers I've seen run with the DCT have been no better than a 16.3.
For 1/4 mile runs, the manual may have an advantage in that it is easier to control the launch.

Again, where exactly is the power loss in the DCT relative to the 5 speed?

If the DCT is "slower", why would that be so?
__________________
I am Kabigon and I approve this message.
Kabigon is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #25
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic
 
RonMaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Fan#: 99230
Location: Littleton, CO
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

Posts: 4,107
Points 4,098, Level 40
Points: 4,098, Level: 40 Points: 4,098, Level: 40 Points: 4,098, Level: 40
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The extra 100lb weight disadvantage isn't helping.

Herer's a review of the SE Sport with the 5 speed and they do make some comparisons to the DCT.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ck-test-review
__________________
'12 Focus Red Candy SE Sport 5 spd
'99 Toyota 4Runner Sport
'11 Subaru WRX STI Hatch
RonMaiden is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #26
suss6052
Focus Addict
 
suss6052's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95752
Location: ..., MI
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Posts: 12,572
Points 9,563, Level 65
Points: 9,563, Level: 65 Points: 9,563, Level: 65 Points: 9,563, Level: 65
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 36%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
The extra 100lb weight disadvantage isn't helping.

Herer's a review of the SE Sport with the 5 speed and they do make some comparisons to the DCT.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ck-test-review
There is only about 12 lbs difference between the dct and the 5 mt cars at the base curb weight from the spec sheets. If the one car weighed 100 lbs more then the heavier car has about 88 lbs more equipment on it.
__________________
Moderator for: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus
suss6052 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #27
raptor1956
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97725
Location: Taylorsville, UT
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

Posts: 1,220
Points 3,967, Level 40
Points: 3,967, Level: 40 Points: 3,967, Level: 40 Points: 3,967, Level: 40
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeygrits View Post
Guess we will have to agree to disagree. Driving in the mountains of PA, WV I was not impressed by the DCT. 5th gear goes anywhere here on the freeway holding it's speed with the cruise set while the DCT searched for a new gear on the hills. I did t think the DCT felt refined at all. Shifts are slushy and obviously geared for fuel economy. I think the 5 speed is better geared for the power and torque this car has. And you have to agree those little buttons on the shifter of the DCT are a joke.

The DCT, when operating under the control of the computer, is operated as an auto so it tends to shift more than needed. When I'm cruising in hilly areas I put it into "S" mode then manually put it in 6th and the car will stay in 6th until the speed drops by about 10mph from setpoint or below about 35mph. If it's steep enough that the speed begins to drop more than a couple I manually drop it into 5th. I've driven this way even on mountainous roads and in those cases may have to drop it down to 4th or even 3rd if it's really steep...


Brian
__________________
2012 FF Ti HB Sonic Blue, Built 5/7/12, 401A + Parking Technology Package and MFT w/NAV 3.0.2 -> 3.2.2 -> 3.5.1 -> 3.6.2
raptor1956 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #28
InfinityCubed
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 95846
Location: Houston, TX
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Metallic SE-Sport

Posts: 151
FF Reputation: 1 InfinityCubed Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
The DCT, when operating under the control of the computer, is operated as an auto so it tends to shift more than needed. When I'm cruising in hilly areas I put it into "S" mode then manually put it in 6th and the car will stay in 6th until the speed drops by about 10mph from setpoint or below about 35mph. If it's steep enough that the speed begins to drop more than a couple I manually drop it into 5th. I've driven this way even on mountainous roads and in those cases may have to drop it down to 4th or even 3rd if it's really steep...


Brian
Fun tip; If you hold the up-shift button on the lever as you shift it into sport mode, it stays in 6th gear.
InfinityCubed is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #29
raptor1956
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97725
Location: Taylorsville, UT
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

Posts: 1,220
Points 3,967, Level 40
Points: 3,967, Level: 40 Points: 3,967, Level: 40 Points: 3,967, Level: 40
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityCubed View Post
Fun tip; If you hold the up-shift button on the lever as you shift it into sport mode, it stays in 6th gear.

Yep, I do that all the time...


Brian
__________________
2012 FF Ti HB Sonic Blue, Built 5/7/12, 401A + Parking Technology Package and MFT w/NAV 3.0.2 -> 3.2.2 -> 3.5.1 -> 3.6.2
raptor1956 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.