Mk3 - Does a baby seat fit? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
cowdog360
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85467
What I Drive: 2007 CRV

FF Reputation: 1 cowdog360 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Mk3 - Does a baby seat fit?

Hello,

We're thinking about buying a 2012 hatch (downsizing from a '07 crv) and have heard that the rear seats are a tight fit for things like a baby seat (more specifically a rear facing infant seat). We plan on having kids in the next few years and would like to know how it would work out. I'm 5'10" and my wife is right about 5' so most of the time she'd be the passenger in the front.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
FocusSTHopeful
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85667
What I Drive: 2008 silver g35x

FF Reputation: 1 FocusSTHopeful Good Standing Member
my daddy used to put me in a milk crate in the back seat.

from what I've read, the focus rear seats are pretty terrible, size wise. I'm sure there is room for a baby seat, but I wouldn't want to sit back there.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
Ohuigin
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83056
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Metallic Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 Ohuigin Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog360 View Post
Hello,

We're thinking about buying a 2012 hatch (downsizing from a '07 crv) and have heard that the rear seats are a tight fit for things like a baby seat (more specifically a rear facing infant seat). We plan on having kids in the next few years and would like to know how it would work out. I'm 5'10" and my wife is right about 5' so most of the time she'd be the passenger in the front.

Thanks!
I test drove one of these things, and am in a similar position to yours (expect kids in the next year or two). I'm 99% sure that you can fit a baby seat back there. The rear-seat issues are always about legroom, which, of course, is not so much of an issue when it comes to babies. I've never read a review of any rear-seat that summed up to "my ass didn't fit because the seat was too narrow..." That's usually a passenger problem, not a seat problem.

-B

2012 S. G. Metallic Titanium Hatch - Born on 5/10/11
Options / Customizations:
-Handling Package
-Debadged
Old 05-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
Riverdome
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 84916
What I Drive: Kona '12 Ford Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Riverdome Good Standing Member
Can't help with a rear-facing but I put one of the largest front facing models in a hatch and it fit but barely. My kids are almost ready to move into booster safety seats so I'm buying a hatch knowing that they will be kicking the seats for awhile. Once in boosters and their legs can more or less hang down they will have enough room.

The question also really depends on how far back the front seats are. At 6 foot tall I was able to test drove a hatch with the seat pushed forward a few notches. That helped the rear space issue a lot.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdome View Post
Can't help with a rear-facing but I put one of the largest front facing models in a hatch and it fit but barely. My kids are almost ready to move into booster safety seats so I'm buying a hatch knowing that they will be kicking the seats for awhile. Once in boosters and their legs can more or less hang down they will have enough room.

The question also really depends on how far back the front seats are. At 6 foot tall I was able to test drove a hatch with the seat pushed forward a few notches. That helped the rear space issue a lot.

Posted via FF Mobile Yup I noticed that when I was driving. Seat all the way back, there is so much front leg room, at least compared to the previous gen foci. I had to put the seat a few notches forward as well because I felt my foot wasnt in the right place. That should leave alittle extra leg room back there.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
usapatriot
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73594
What I Drive: 09' Black SE Coupe

FF Reputation: 0 usapatriot Newbie
A baby seat should fit.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
gab13
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85779
What I Drive: Candy Blue

FF Reputation: 1 gab13 Good Standing Member
Test drove with baby seat

I'm 5'8 and had the baby seat behind me. Behind passenger is more pratical but salesman was 6'3 so he needed to be back further.
This is my dd and won't usually have baby along, but its possible.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
LostContrails
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83543
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Sedan

FF Reputation: 2 LostContrails Good Standing Member
I am 6'3 and I had to move the seat up a few notches to get into my comfort zone, and I drive a Caravan.

One of the main reasons the rear quarters is so tight is the fact that the 12' Focus has what is most likely the longest driver and passenger seat tracks in the segment. This means lots of room available up front, but when all the way back the rear seat becomes quite tight.

I would like to say that at least in the Focus, the comfortable seats help out in making the tight space a bit cozier. The Chevy Cruze gets really tight in the back also, and the leather seats were so thin, I could feel bolts and bars.
6 Speed Auto
Old 06-08-2011, 09:59 AM   #9
350sexZ
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86593
What I Drive: 12 taxedo black hatch

FF Reputation: 1 350sexZ Good Standing Member
sure does, i have my sons rear facing right behind the driver seat. and still have room to move back. the only thing ive found is when putting it in you kind of have to tilt it to get pass the top of the door jam.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
lscrx
Focus Addict

Fan#: 41668
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE hatch 5mt

FF Reputation: 2 lscrx Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350sexZ View Post
sure does, i have my sons rear facing right behind the driver seat. and still have room to move back. the only thing ive found is when putting it in you kind of have to tilt it to get pass the top of the door jam.
Glad to hear, we have a rear facing (4 month old) and a convertible forward facing (2.5 year old), they both fit in our Saab 9-3 so I'm pretty sure they'll fit ok in the Focus. Our older boy is almost ready for a booster seat (big for his age) so that'll open up some space, and our younger boy will probably move into a forward facing at 8-10 months if he's like his brother.

Bookmarks & Social Networks