So I broke the locking clip on my MAF Sensor wiring harness... - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #11
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Um, so again, what exactly is your problem?

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #12
lawdogwes
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109472
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 lawdogwes Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Basic problem is rough idle and then it shuts off. When driving it runs fine but coming to a stop or slowing down in a curve it shuts off.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #13
JakeTheSnake
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97620
What I Drive: 2004 Twilight Blue ZTS, 2.3L PZEV

FF Reputation: 1 JakeTheSnake Good Standing Member
IMRC and/or IAC valve on a 2005 whynot?
Old 02-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #14
sam fisher
I hate dents!

Fan#: 103137
What I Drive: 2006 silver zx4 ses

FF Reputation: 3 sam fisher Good Standing Member
Hmm , for some reason , the clips on my turn singal bulbs have both broken , and the plugs keep slipping off . How did you repair your maf clip?

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using FF Mobile
Old 02-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #15
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Rough idle, I will assume is low idle. This is most likely your idle air control valve. It is located near the throttle body, but you should check other things also. Is this car new to you, or have you been the owner for a while? If so, have you done regular routine maintenance? To make a point, the 05 has a lifetime air filter that can be tested via a procedure described in the owner's manual. You should test it, and if it fails, then you need to replace it with either another lifetime filter, a simple cone filter, or a CAI setup.

More routine maintenance that is often overlooked is the fuel filter. This should be changed every 20-30k miles. I doubt that a clogged fuel filter is the problem, but your fuel pump will last much longer if you change your filter regularly.

This is a pictorial of your idle air control valve. Remove it- there won't be a gasket, but that's ok as long as the mating surfaces are clean. Now clean the inside part of the IACV, and push on the plunger with a Q-tip. It should move freely. You can clean it with anything like carb cleaner, but I'd use spray MAF cleaner or electrical parts cleaner afterwards to clean out any residue.

Quote:
Old 02-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #16
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

OH, and yes, it wouldn't be a bad idea to change the plugs and boots at this mileage if those are still OEM. If you do it yourself, use anti-seize on the plug threads- just a little dab will do ya. I purchase that stuff on the aisle where you get RTV, it should be in a grey bottle by Permatex about 3" tall and say "nickel anti-seize". Do not use copper anti-seize- the temp rating is too low. This is very important to keep your spark plugs from tearing the threads out of the aluminum cylinder head. Always use anti-seize on spark plugs in aluminum heads. I use it in other places too- like on my axle shafts, those were totally seized when I finally removed them.

We have an FF who never used it on his 09 and kept swapping plugs out, now he's leaking combustion gasses into the top of the valve cover that keeps popping his temp sensor seal up. Then he always finds his spark plugs loose. Don't let that happen to you!!

Quote:
Old 02-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #17
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam fisher View Post
Hmm , for some reason , the clips on my turn singal bulbs have both broken , and the plugs keep slipping off . How did you repair your maf clip?

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using FF Mobile
Please start your own thread because your problem is not the same, however, you can search for "turn signal lamp pigtail connector" and then replace it with one that will work. You can also search online for "Doorman electrical connectors" and eventually you'll find someone that sells whatever you need.

Quote:
Old 02-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #18
lawdogwes
Focus Rookie

By rough idle I do mean low idle. I have owned the car since new and I have not done any "regular" maintenance beyond oil, tires, brakes. I am not mechanically inclined but decided to try to learn. I will check out the air filter test. Will also clean the IACV tomorrow. Thanks for your quick responses and tolerating my novice questioning and answers.

Just saw your other post. I will not attempt to mess with the plugs at this point until I've tried the other. Thanks for the info and warning.

Last edited by lawdogwes; 02-02-2013 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Fully answer question
Old 02-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #19
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

I also have an 05. I have changed my fuel filter regularly, and now have 150k miles on it. I would've expected to put a fuel pump in the car 100-120. I'm curious to see how long it will last with regular fuel filter changes.

You should start a thread. The fuel filter is easy to change if you have rudimentary tools- actually, a 1/4" ratchet, 5/16 or 8mm socket, and an extension is what I use. A properly sized nut driver might do it also if it's not too tight. The rest is procedure. I've written enough already, start another thread on that.

We'll be happy to help you figure out how to work on your own car. It will save you money eventually.

Quote:
Old 02-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #20
lawdogwes
Focus Rookie

Many thanks! I'm also going through the "How To Archive." Good stuff.

Bookmarks & Social Networks