Battery Issues - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-13-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
blksheep
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 120020
What I Drive: 2013, Titanium grey, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 blksheep Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Battery Issues

Sorry this post is so long, but I have had a very frustrating time with my NEW car purchase and am still not satisfied with the outcome!!!!

I purchased a 2012 Ford Focus in June of 2012 & loved it. Then about 2 weeks after purchasing it I started having problems with my navigation system freezing up. Then I went to shut my car off and the SYNC system wouldn't turn off, even after opening and closing my door several times. I started & shut off my car several times before the SYNC system finally shut down. Unfortunately I was out of town when all this happened.

I took it back to my dealership when I got back home and they ran a diagnostic but found nothing wrong.
About a month later my SYNC system started flashing off and on and then the little screen where the speedometer is started having lines run through it like a TV screen when you have lost your signal. I took it back to the dealer and still nothing wrong with it. This has gone on for several months, problems with navigation, screen flashing, little screen rolling, kept taking it back and still nothing showed up on the diagnostics.

I left and went on vacation in November of 2012 and was gone about 1 week, when I returned home my battery was dead. I called the dealer and told him about it and he told me to just jump start it and get it to them and they would check it out. NOTHING!!!!

I went out of town for a few days in April of 2013 and again my battery was dead, again called the dealer and again they couldn't find anything.

Then this started happening more and more. If my car sat for more that 2 to 3 days without being driven my battery was dead when I went to start my car. I was even stranded at the Salt Lake City Airport with a dead battery, after being there for 3 days!!!!

So I started searching for answers to my problem because it was obvious that the mechanics at the dealership had no idea what was happening & as long as my car was running they weren't going to. I found what I thought it was and called the dealership, they told me that I could bring my car in and let the battery drain and then they could hook it up to their diagnostic and possibly locate the problem. However, they weren't willing to give me a loaner while they found and fixed the problem. My dealership is 45 miles from where I live!!!

Well, after a long Labor Day weekend and not driving my car, I woke up to another dead battery. My husband called the dealership and told them they were going to come and pick up this car and bring me a loaner to drive around until they fixed the problem.

They did, and they had my car for over 9 weeks, yes, 9 WEEKS!!!!! They put in two modulars and finally pulled them and put in the old one. They called FORD and were working with someone there. They supposedly had a ticket put in about my problem. They even had a FORD tech coming to look at my car. Then one of the mechanics decided to check my headliner for some reason and found a wire that had never been attached to anything. He attached it, they charged my battery and called me to tell me my car was fixed.

When I went to pick up my car I asked them if they had changed my oil since it was about due. They had not. So I waited for them to do that. When the mechanic came back to tell me my car was ready, he also informed me that my transmission was leaking, something that is prone to this model. WHAT!!!! FOR REAL!!!!

It has been three weeks since I have gotten my car back. I am still having some electrical issues, and my transmission is still leaking, because the parts are on back order and it my be until the later part of December or the first part of January 2013.

I have asked FORD to buy my car back because it is a lemon and they denied it, they said the best they would do is pay for the two car payments I made while it was being fixed. SERIOUSLY!!!! Idaho has a lemon law and I have checked into it. Just don't know if it is worth fighting FORD. I know that I will NEVER buy another FORD and I will NEVER do business with that dealership.
I did check into trading it off on something else and it doesn't even book for half of what I bought it for.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
Woggy64
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104328
What I Drive: '12 Ti 5dr with sport pkg & sunroof

Points 726, Level 14
Points: 726, Level: 14 Points: 726, Level: 14 Points: 726, Level: 14
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 2 Woggy64 Good Standing Member
Dealer sounds worthless. I would not buy anything from them either but you don't name them.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

Points 528, Level 10
Points: 528, Level: 10 Points: 528, Level: 10 Points: 528, Level: 10
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Another potentially happy customer soured by Ford's dealership failures. If their car had been fixed promptly and professionally, they probably wouldn't be complaining.

I wonder if anyone at Ford is paying attention.

I doubt it.

OP, sorry to hear that you bought a Ford Focus. I made the same mistake, too, so I feel your pain.

Years ago, I bought a new car (not a Ford). It came with a nice warranty. When I would have a problem with it, I would take it to the dealership and they would fix it at no charge to me and it stayed fixed and I was happy.

Sadly, Ford doesn't seem to operate that way.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
blksheep
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 120020
What I Drive: 2013, Titanium grey, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 blksheep Good Standing Member
I didn't want to get in trouble by naming them. They are the only Ford dealer in Burley, Idaho.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,142, Level 34
Points: 3,142, Level: 34 Points: 3,142, Level: 34 Points: 3,142, Level: 34
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by blksheep View Post
I didn't want to get in trouble by naming them. They are the only Ford dealer in Burley, Idaho.
Hello blksheep,

I'd like to document this feedback. Please know that you're not causing trouble for the dealership. By providing details about your experience, you'll help ensure better service in the future across the board.

If this is something you're interested in, let me know.

Todd

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 12-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,833, Level 32
Points: 2,833, Level: 32 Points: 2,833, Level: 32 Points: 2,833, Level: 32
Level Up 56% Completed
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
There have been just a few people on the forum with bad batteries. I suspect that could be your problem unless you're using a scangauge or have some type of modification that's draining it (which I doubt). wouldn't think an unattached wire in the headliner would cause the battery to die in 3 days... but I'm no electrical engineer.

There is a TSB (12-1-7) fix for the lines on your dash screen and several updates to the problems with MFT or the radio freezing/stuck on after exiting the car.

I can't imagine that you still have MFT issues with the latest revision of MFT unless you have some kind of weird phone incompatibility. If your dealer couldn't figure out how to update MFT, I'd say it's time for another dealer because the bugs were quite obvious before the updates and Ford even sent out flash drives to every owner. Hell, you can update it yourself at: http://support.ford.com/media/syncmyride/intercept.html (formerly syncmyride.com)

As for the leak, you can technically still drive your car, it won't hurt anything except maybe the clutch... but they'll be replacing that anyway. Be happy that they found it and are going to fix it - I had to fight for 2 years before they finally replaced my clutch.

I realize you're frustrated to have so many issues with what should be a problem-free new car, but these things happen. If I were you, I'd try another dealer before trying to lemon the car.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

Points 528, Level 10
Points: 528, Level: 10 Points: 528, Level: 10 Points: 528, Level: 10
Level Up 56% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Be happy that they found it and are going to fix it - I had to fight for 2 years before they finally replaced my clutch.
No kidding. I'm on 14 months bitching about clutch #2, about which I immediately contacted Ford Customer Service. Over a year later I have gotten nowhere. Many dealership visits later, my car still vibrates. Taking it in is just a waste of time. Ford's warranty is worthless.

So I've given up on trying to get it fixed, and I'm opting to continue pissing and moaning about it instead.

As I've said before: Posting complaints on a forum won't get my car fixed... but then, neither will taking it to a Ford dealership.

Bookmarks & Social Networks