Never done timeing before - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #11
SrDudley
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100058
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZX5 EAP SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SrDudley Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Another one for doing the timing bet your already that deep if you don't do it it's bound to go a couple weeks later lol.

And stick with motorcraft parts idk why people keep straying away from them they're not that bloody expensive order from tousley ford ask for Steve he's a great guy and will get you going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53637
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I don't know why you guys are pushing the new water pump. My dad drives an '05 ZX3 with 250K miles with no problems there, my brother has a '01 ZX3 with 220K miles and no problems with it. I'm going to say it again, the water pump is not prone to failure in my experience, and I can't recall a single instance of it coming up on this forum. You could do it for peace of mind but it would be probably be a waste of money.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #13
SrDudley
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100058
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZX5 EAP SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SrDudley Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SPD_soul View Post
I don't know why you guys are pushing the new water pump. My dad drives an '05 ZX3 with 250K miles with no problems there, my brother has a '01 ZX3 with 220K miles and no problems with it. I'm going to say it again, the water pump is not prone to failure in my experience, and I can't recall a single instance of it coming up on this forum. You could do it for peace of mind but it would be probably be a waste of money.
Idk why you'd be so cheap as to not replace a $50 part compared to a couple hundred dollar engine again your choice... As I always say on here each to their own
Old 03-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #14
lilfocusfreak
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100585
What I Drive: 04 sonic blue svt

FF Reputation: 1 lilfocusfreak Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SPD_soul View Post
A lot of people say to change the water pump when doing the timing belt since you have easy access, but I don't think it's worth the time and money, I don't hear about water pump failures here very often (ever) as the water pump is not driven by or related to the water pump. It is iimportant that you change all the timing belt related pulleys and idlers. You can get a timing belt kit from Gates (TCK294B) that has the belt, idler and tensioner pulleys for like $90 if not less, Rockauto is generally the place to get it. You also want to get the cam timing tools, it's just a flat bar to hold the cams in place an a screw/pin that holds the crankshaft when you find TDC compression on cyl. 1. The company OTC probably sells the most inexpensive set of these timing tools but you can find other vendors, just google it. They are necessary in my opinion.

Also buy a decent repair manual to walk you through it, they're cheap and worth they're weight in gold when it comes to this. They don't mention how to position the VCT when setting the timing, you want to make sure it's rotated fully towards the front of the car before you put the belt on, of course it does move independently of the camshaft and it'll help you understand it's operation when you get the belt off. A lot of people also caution against loosening the cam gear pulleys even though it's called for in the published instructions, the cam position sensor is apparently overly sensitive about this.

There's a ton of previous discussions on this and you'll find more info if you experiment with the search function on this site (although the search function kind of sucks).
I would do the water pump if you have the extra cash... My pump went out on my way to work and car over heated without registering it on the temp gauges (i think due to air pocket in cooling system) n i almost muffed shit up... So if you can do it while your in there and you have timing,cover, moter mount n everything else off..
Old 03-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #15
BlkNite713
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88254
What I Drive: 2002 Viper Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 BlkNite713 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Agreed^^^ Replace and forget about the headache later. Rock auto is very reasonably priced, or contact Tousley Ford Part Depot, there prices are unbeatable for OEM motor craft parts:)
-Semi Built Tranny(Torsen/Clutchmaster)
-Triplex Comp CT2 Billet HF-X

Bookmarks & Social Networks