2005 ZX4 running rough - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
danielbstone87
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111872
What I Drive: 2005, Silver, ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 danielbstone87 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2005 ZX4 running rough

so i've got a few weird problems that i have a feeling are somehow connected.

the short and sweet of the situation is i have a 2005 ZX4 thats running really rough. just got this car at an auction and it was repo'ed about 3 months before that. not knowing the state of anything, i did a poor man's tune up on it. (changed oil, trans filter, spark plugs, and seafoamed the fool out of it).

the battery was completely dead. we could jump it off, but as soon as we disconnected the cables, it died. so i also replaced the battery and the alternator (what a joy that was).

to my dismay, when i cranked it up, it still ran really rough. then about 30 seconds after cranking, the battery light comes on. i had the people at oreilly's test it and he said he was getting power coming from the alternator (thank God). but the batt was only at 50% charge. it also had a P0102 error code (but no check engine light).

i know the code is in reference to the mass air flow sensor, so i'm going to get MAF cleaner and clean it later today. i saw a posting where someone mentioned a faulty alternator causing problems with the MAF sensor. has anyone else heard of that, or know of anything else that would cause this???

additional info: i did a vacuum leak check with carb cleaner and didn't find anything. and the engine seems to run rough at idle, or when driving.

Thanks for any help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
bile0026
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97349
What I Drive: 2009 Amber Gold Metalic Focus

Points 380, Level 7
Points: 380, Level: 7 Points: 380, Level: 7 Points: 380, Level: 7
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 7 bile0026 Good Standing Member
I would start with cleaning the MAF. Also make sure a mouse didn't crawl in somewhere and make a nest which could be blocking airflow. In guessing it sat for a while so that's where I would start.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
danielbstone87
Focus Rookie

Thanks for replying. I'm doubting it's a mouse. If I disconnect the main air flow tube just above the throttle body, it has no affect. If a mouse is in the system below the throttle body, I guess I would buy a cat and hope for the best
Old 03-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
matmatician
Cars&Corgis

Fan#: 81361
What I Drive: A ONE COLOR FOCUS, Ducatis

Points 7,115, Level 55
Points: 7,115, Level: 55 Points: 7,115, Level: 55 Points: 7,115, Level: 55
Level Up 83% Completed
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 matmatician Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Check your battery cables maybe. If they arent secure enough or have a fault somewhere along the line, it may cause symptoms similar to what you're experiencing. Although I'm not sure where the MAF sensor would fit into the equation if that were the case. The MAF needs a good cleaning every once and a while anyways though.

Sounds like you know enough to have probably already checked that though.
ROTM June '13, PNW Crew #42, SR #245, Rally Rev #02
Old 03-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,353, Level 98
Points: 27,353, Level: 98 Points: 27,353, Level: 98 Points: 27,353, Level: 98
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If your mileage is over 100k or you have oil in the spark plug tubes, then that can cause the problems you're having. Mileage over 100k means that the coil boots are probably worn. You can purchase replacements (look for plug wires) at parts stores for $5-8 each. Mine went out at 80k, car started "not running right", so I changed the boots, and that solved the problem. Oil in the spark plug tubes will do the same thing- oil itself doesn't conduct, but the minute particles in the oil do.

The fuel filter might need to be changed. That's a $7, 20-30k mile part. Whatever you do, don't look at the prices for thermostats. Worry about it when you have to replace it.

You can test the effectiveness of your charging system using the electronic odometer trick. Key off, press and hold the odo reset button. Turn the key on, continue to hold the odo reset button until the odo reads [test]. Release the reset button, now you're in test mode. You will remain in test mode until you turn the key off. Each time you press and release the odo reset button, you'll scroll through one of 30 test functions. Look for the one that reads [bat 12.1] or whatever your battery voltage is at the time. When you start the engine, you can read the alternator voltage. Typically these readings are about .2v less than a reading taken at the battery posts. It will give you an idea of how well your alternator is working.

I personally don't like parts store alternators. I've seen plenty of problems with cheap voltage regulators, and prefer to use local rebuilders who use quality parts because returns are not part of their business model.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
danielbstone87
Focus Rookie

Thanks again for the replies guys

yeah i cleaned the battery terminals and posts already. i also charged it up and cranked it again, light still on.

I hosed that sensor down with MAF cleaner. no change. i kinda had a feeling that it wasn't going to change much once i was looking at it.

to that last reply about the test mode... woah, i had no idea you could do that. i'm gonna try that for sure tomorrow morning, along with changing those boots.

I did also have oil in with the plugs when i changed them.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:26 AM   #7
Mrs.Pika
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110711
What I Drive: 2006 white zx4

FF Reputation: 1 Mrs.Pika Good Standing Member
Hi! I have a 06 zx4 my car was running really rough and engine was loud and vibrating hard I changed the passanger side motor mount which stopped my engine from vibrating then I bought a new mass air flow sensor and my car is now running smoothly I have another new mass air flow sensor I accidently bought two new ones off ebay so if u need one ill sell it to u cheap :)
Good luck with you car!
Old 04-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
danielbstone87
Focus Rookie

ok, new update. new boots went on and it seems to run a little better (maybe just in my head) but not 100%. there might be a vac leak that my super accurate carb cleaner test didn't find.

and as for the whole test mode thing... woah. i had no idea there was this kind of magic and it was awesome. the reading for the batt was 11.3 and when cranked it read 11.1. still getting a battery light though after about 30 seconds of being cranked. any ideas on whats causing this devil problem?
Old 04-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #9
danielbstone87
Focus Rookie

ok problem has been solved! just thought i would sum it up for the sake of people on google that find this in the future. after changing the plugs and boots, it really did run better, but there was still a hard vibration. it turns out what the remaining problem was a bad front engine mount. after changing that, runs smooth as silk. thanks again for yalls help!
Old 04-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,068, Level 34
Points: 3,068, Level: 34 Points: 3,068, Level: 34 Points: 3,068, Level: 34
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 52%
Activity: 52% Activity: 52% Activity: 52%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
Uh, new motor mounts do not fix battery lights...............missing something there. You'll mis-steer every one on google now..............

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.