knocking noise after timing belt - SPI - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
rachel4291
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 108796
What I Drive: 2003 silver se

FF Reputation: 1 rachel4291 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
knocking noise after timing belt - SPI

I replaced the timing belt on my 03 2.0 spi, after about 200 miles started to hear a knocking noise when at idle, would go away as soon as I let out the clutch. Lifted the car removed splash shield, found the harmonic dampener with a little bit of a wobble. Bolt was tight and rubber is in good shape. Took it off and found evidence of it hitting on the back side. So this is the source of the noise, so my question is what did I do wrong? The key way does appear to have a little damage and a new dampener from autozone is less than $40 so I was planning on one of those but I don't want to put this back together until I know what the cause was. I will admit I didn't use a torque wrench when putting the dampener on but I did use an impact, and a breaker bar when I took it off a second time and it seemed plenty tight. Was this just a torque issue or am I missing a spacer that goes between the timing sprocket and dampener? Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Moved to "General Technical Chat". Also I notice that you are from Winchester which means you are close to a lot of other members as well. Introduce yourself in Focus Factor which is a bunch of us southwestern Ohio members >>Click Here<< We have occasional meet ups and new people are always welcome.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
NO, when dampers go bad, they wobble. That was probably the source of your noise also, at any rate, it's bad, and the only way to make it better is to replace it.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Can't see it too well from here, so I'm wondering whether the whole thing was "wobbling" and loose on the shaft, or just the outer part - which would mean it's worn out as whynot guessed from your description....

When an assembly of that type goes together, the face of the damper where the washer of the bolt contacts SHOULD be a little bit further out than the face of the end of the crank in the center of the hole in the damper. It should slide on fairly easily, and bottom against the belt sprocket. When you slide it on you should feel a nice solid metallic contact as it bottoms, leaving the crank end maybe 1/8" (or so) recessed - that lets the bolt draw the whole assembly tight, and is the reason for a "torque spec." since the bolt's tension is determined by that torque. Overdo it TOO much, and the bolt could break - too little and it'll back off by itself.

What was hitting "on the back side"? For example, was the back of the weight hitting the belt cover?

Let us know some more details, and we'll keep up the long distance diagnosis. (grin)

Cheers!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
rachel4291
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I replaced dampener clicked off with torque wrench went back into timing cover clicked off everything else. (Cam and tensioner) reassembled everything. There was no sound and everything was great for about 50 miles until a new tapping noise from within timing cover or so it seems. I plan to investigate tomorrow to see if its the same problem or one that may have just appeared
Old 01-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Let us know what you find....

And if you can remember any of the answers to my last post tonite....

BTW, when you disassemble tomorrow, look for any marks on the inside of the belt cover - they would indicate if the belt tension is an issue (flopping against the cover).

Luck!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Have you done anything about the valve seats?

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
rachel4291
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

The answer I was looking for was the dampener directly contacts the belt sprocket. I was afraid something had been lost which would make the sound. My boyfriends Volvo had the washer so we were sure. As far as what was hitting what I believe it was the dampener scrapping the timing cover. And as far as the valve seats I'm at 181,000 with no major issues so I'm shooting for 200,000 and or a zetec. I'm pushing my luck but its going to be an option down the road.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
rachel4291
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Hey guys this is JC I'm Rachel's BF thanks for the quick responses once the moderators got us in the right forum. So swapped the balancer, had been scrapping on the backside due to bolt torque. New balancer was clicked off w trq wrench to 95 iirc, 100 miles noise came back sounding a lil different. Went back in found the balancer with a slight wobble, and blot not as tight as I left it.....so bright light and closer inspection found the balancer sits nearly flush with the crank! So I would just like some else to confirm along with sailor that balancer does seat directly against the timing belt sprocket, there is no additional washer between the two? If that is the case then what am I seeing? Was the replacement balancer a defect? Has the cranked walked out? A friend of mine with ricer experience has seen Mitsubishi drop a thrust washer inside the engine (sometimes he can be full of info and sometimes full of it). I am becoming tempted to find a thin washer to put between balancer and sprocket but don't really want to offset the serp belt grooves if this is isn't right. Greatly appreciate any more help.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->