2012 focus SE - Stereo compression? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
PTL5spd
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107081
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red Focus SE hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 PTL5spd Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 focus SE - Stereo compression?

I have a 2012 focus SE with the standard radio. I have noticed that at moderate volume there is a very noticeable compression applied to the sound. I have turned off all audio processing and it is still there. At lower volumes it doesn't seem to be there, though I haven't tested this extensively.

Does anyone else have this issue? Is there anything I can do to disable this, or work around it? I was planning on installing some aftermarket speakers, but if I can't turn off this compression I'm not going to bother until I can fit an aftermarket head unit because it can be pretty annoying.

I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to car audio, but I know the basics of audio from the studio side of things. Any help would be appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
nseah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101824
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 nseah Good Standing Member
My SEL with the 10 speaker sony system doesn't compress anything at all until it's cranked all the way up (then it distorts).

Stupid question but are you sure your music files aren't compressed?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
PTL5spd
Focus Rookie

I just checked, and no the audio files themselves have not been run through any sort of compression, and my iPhone does not have any sort of compressor/limiter/eq set on it. Everything sounds good through headphones or desktop speakers.

This is the base stereo, and it seems to only happen at the high end of the volume spectrum. When cruising I've usually got the system at about 10-18 (out of 30) but sometimes I like a little more volume and bump it up to 22-24. At this point it seems to hit some sort of limiter or compressor that tries to flatten out the volume. Do you think this may be a function of the amp itself, trying to protect speakers?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,948, Level 33
Points: 2,948, Level: 33 Points: 2,948, Level: 33 Points: 2,948, Level: 33
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTL5spd View Post
Do you think this may be a function of the amp itself, trying to protect speakers?
If the Ford engineers wanted to keep their jobs, yes - I presume so.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 4,219, Level 41
Points: 4,219, Level: 41 Points: 4,219, Level: 41 Points: 4,219, Level: 41
Level Up 35% Completed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTL5spd View Post
This is the base stereo, and it seems to only happen at the high end of the volume spectrum. When cruising I've usually got the system at about 10-18 (out of 30) but sometimes I like a little more volume and bump it up to 22-24. At this point it seems to hit some sort of limiter or compressor that tries to flatten out the volume. Do you think this may be a function of the amp itself, trying to protect speakers?
I don't know the specifics of your system but what you describe is not so uncommon, especially for class D amplifiers. Compression (limting) occurs to prevent (or at least minimize) clipping.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
Roadworthy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109039
What I Drive: 2012 SGM MK3 Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Roadworthy Good Standing Member
A lot of factory sound systems ala Bose will use variable compression on different frequencies at higher spl. The whole idea is to cut out, roll off the frequencies that will make the speaker(s) distort in an unwanted fashion. Bass, very low frequencies will be the first to go.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
detonator555
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93875
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sedan, Candy Red

Points 51, Level 1
Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 detonator555 Good Standing Member
Take your bass down to -5 and see if you still get as much compression.

The reason I say that is that I installed a subwoofer, and the regular speaker bass sounds much better around -5 or -6. I used to have the same complaint you did, but it sounds better now. Plus, 22 to 24 is LOUD. Maybe your MP3 player has a different output, but that would be unpleasant with my setup.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
PTL5spd
Focus Rookie

Thank you all for your replies.

I now believe this is a protection mechanism, as that seems to be what most everyone here is saying. I will try to roll of the bass and see if there is still a lot of compression. I have the highs set at +7 and mids at +3 and bass -1 to counteract this very bass heavy system.

I just tried rolling off the bass and leaving the highs/mids near stock, and there is less compression but at the same time a little less volume. I will give this a test on my drive home to see how things work out.

and to Detonator555, yeah, 22-24 is pretty loud. After going out to the parking lot and testing my new settings, I am amazed I listened at that volume this morning. I'm guessing between the rain and rolling noise I didn't notice :D
Old 01-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #9
Roadworthy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109039
What I Drive: 2012 SGM MK3 Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Roadworthy Good Standing Member
lol Blowing eardrums in 4,3,2,......
Old 01-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #10
felixdd
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105655
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White SE sports

FF Reputation: 1 felixdd Good Standing Member
Wow. I have my system set at 7-9, even on the highway =\. Source is iPhone, through bluetooth or through USB.

What's your source?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.