p2004 code--anyone have manifold/solenoid photos? - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace



Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
fearfeasog
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Fan#: 122137
Location: Northampton, MA
What I Drive: Silver (grey) 2004 Focus ZTW

Posts: 35
FF Reputation: 1 fearfeasog Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
p2004 code--anyone have manifold/solenoid photos?

Hi all,

I recently have been gifted the famed p2004 code--Intake Manifold Runner Control stuck open.

I am honored.

I've found the many threads already devoted to this award, and have lots of ideas about how to troubleshoot this--so I won't trouble you with questions--except to ask if anyone has good clear pics of the manifold, solenoids, etc, to guide me on my magical adventure in exploring parts of a car I never dreamed I would see.



Appreciate any help! ff


fearfeasog is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
fearfeasog
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Fan#: 122137
Location: Northampton, MA
What I Drive: Silver (grey) 2004 Focus ZTW

Posts: 35
FF Reputation: 1 fearfeasog Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Here are a few pics of my own engine. This first is a diagram of the parts I THINK are in question:



are these parts as follows?
a--intake manifold
b--solenoids
c--IMRC

Where is the lever arm? I read it's a good idea to check it still moves.

Next is a series of close-ups



above--solenoids?


above--IMRC?


above--some random thing I thought I'd include in case something important broke off here.

Are the solenoids often the culprits? Expensive? How would I find those to buy them?
fearfeasog is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
fearfeasog
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Fan#: 122137
Location: Northampton, MA
What I Drive: Silver (grey) 2004 Focus ZTW

Posts: 35
FF Reputation: 1 fearfeasog Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have come to understand that the 'b' parts in the diagram above are the IMRC's and I'm wondering now if 'c' is the throttle body?

ff
fearfeasog is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
Marde
Focus Enthusiast
 
Marde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Fan#: 115991
Location: Mesa, AZ
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

Posts: 418
FF Reputation: 7 Marde Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yes. "C" is a plastic cover that is hiding the cable connections of the throttle body (TB).

Like you, I have a 2004 2.3L ZTW PZEV. Yes. Those "B" are the solenoids for the IMRC (aka tumble flaps) and IMTV (changes runner length) systems. The use of these two acronyms (IMRC and IMTV) has a history of misuse and confusion.
I am using these acronyms as identified in this thread (see post #5, #6, #7) ->
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s....php?t=274420\

The IMRC (aka tumble flaps) solenoid is the one on the right side (drivers side). The IMRC Actuator is located behind the throttle body (TB).

The IMTV solenoid is the one on the left side (passenger side). The IMTV Actuator is located underneath the TB.

I can NOT tell you if code P2004 is the IMRC or IMTV.

The solenoids can be purchased at Ford or Junk Yard.
Here is a thread where someone replaced an IMRC or IMTV solenoid and fixed his car. See post #9.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259965

I have never heard of someone replacing an IMRC or IMTV actuator.

Last edited by Marde; 11-15-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Marde is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
Marde
Focus Enthusiast
 
Marde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Fan#: 115991
Location: Mesa, AZ
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

Posts: 418
FF Reputation: 7 Marde Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
BTW
Find each actuator and make sure that each is (1) electrically connected (2) connected to a vacuum hose.

The solenoids are identical and can be swapped around for troubleshooting purposes.
Marde is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
fearfeasog
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Fan#: 122137
Location: Northampton, MA
What I Drive: Silver (grey) 2004 Focus ZTW

Posts: 35
FF Reputation: 1 fearfeasog Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marde View Post
Yes. "C" is a plastic cover that is hiding the cable connections of the throttle body (TB).

Like you, I have a 2004 2.3L ZTW PZEV. Yes. Those "B" are the solenoids for the IMRC (aka tumble flaps) and IMTV (changes runner length) systems. The use of these two acronyms (IMRC and IMTV) has a history of misuse and confusion.
I am using these acronyms as identified in this thread (see post #5, #6, #7) ->
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s....php?t=274420\

The IMRC (aka tumble flaps) solenoid is the one on the right side (drivers side). The IMRC Actuator is located behind the throttle body (TB).

The IMTV solenoid is the one on the left side (passenger side). The IMTV Actuator is located underneath the TB.

I can NOT tell you if code P2004 is the IMRC or IMTV.

The solenoids can be purchased at Ford or Junk Yard.
Here is a thread where someone replaced an IMRC or IMTV solenoid and fixed his car. See post #9.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259965

I have never heard of someone replacing an IMRC or IMTV actuator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marde View Post
BTW
Find each actuator and make sure that each is (1) electrically connected (2) connected to a vacuum hose.

The solenoids are identical and can be swapped around for troubleshooting purposes.
Great detailed info, thanks very much! Gonna hit up the local salvage soon. Never done that, should be fun.

Edit: Went out at lunchtime to check the solenoid connections. 2 hoses and a wire harness each.
fearfeasog is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
Marde
Focus Enthusiast
 
Marde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Fan#: 115991
Location: Mesa, AZ
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

Posts: 418
FF Reputation: 7 Marde Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marde View Post
BTW
Find each actuator and make sure that each is (1) electrically connected (2) connected to a vacuum hose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearfeasog View Post
Edit: Went out at lunchtime to check the solenoid connections. 2 hoses and a wire harness each.
Please note that I suggested that you do this check (Elect and Vac connections) at the actuators; not the solenoids. It is possible to see some (not all) of this from the top of the car and reaching into and down, but you might also consider jacking up the front of the car and getting under it for a better perspective on "seeing it".

Each solenoid has a vac hose that connects to the respective actuator. Each of these Vac hoses "pulls off" easy.
Marde is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
Marde
Focus Enthusiast
 
Marde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Fan#: 115991
Location: Mesa, AZ
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

Posts: 418
FF Reputation: 7 Marde Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Fur-got to mention that if you go hunting in a junkyard... Most Focus duratec's are 2.0L and have only One solenoid and may not be located in the same spot as yours. I have little mech experience on these, but I saw a 2006 with the solenoid located different than ours; was tucked away under the TB.
Marde is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
fearfeasog
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Fan#: 122137
Location: Northampton, MA
What I Drive: Silver (grey) 2004 Focus ZTW

Posts: 35
FF Reputation: 1 fearfeasog Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marde View Post
Please note that I suggested that you do this check (Elect and Vac connections) at the actuators; not the solenoids. It is possible to see some (not all) of this from the top of the car and reaching into and down, but you might also consider jacking up the front of the car and getting under it for a better perspective on "seeing it".

Each solenoid has a vac hose that connects to the respective actuator. Each of these Vac hoses "pulls off" easy.
ohhhh, I get it. Had to google to get a clue what the actuators look like (I did manage to find an actuator lever--white with a black rod attached that moves with the lever when it is pressed. The lever made a little hissing sound when pressed.)

Thanks for the tip on the 2.0 solenoid location.
fearfeasog is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
fearfeasog
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Fan#: 122137
Location: Northampton, MA
What I Drive: Silver (grey) 2004 Focus ZTW

Posts: 35
FF Reputation: 1 fearfeasog Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So I tackled the strut issue and that fixed THAT problem. Now back to this...

I got one of those little bluetooth dongles you can use to read and clear your OBD codes. So I confirmed that the firestone people actually gave me the right code, then I cleared it. CEL off--QUESTIONS--

If it doesn't come back does that mean the problem is gone?

If I bring it back to get it reinspected (get the rejected sticker replaced), will the techs there see I cleared it and wonder--and fail me?

ff
fearfeasog is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.