head temperature sensor oil over it! - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #11
Focuslu86
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109201
What I Drive: 2001,yellow, zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Focuslu86 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
thanks for all the messages!
I have tested my resistor and motor fans and they work perfect! my cluster gauge works, but sometimes it takes a couple of mins to work....can a bad head temperature sensor affect the functionality of the fans? like making them not to come out? i mean i have the wiring and diagram from ford, and I checked all the component: engine cooling fan relay, high speed engine cooling fan relay, fan resistor, motor 1&2. There are 2 more left: dual pressure switch and cylinder-head temperature pressure...idk if these 2 control the fans directly? or if they can make the fans to work or not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #12
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

Points 7,787, Level 59
Points: 7,787, Level: 59 Points: 7,787, Level: 59 Points: 7,787, Level: 59
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Are you overheating? Perhaps its just could enough outside that your fans rarely turn on? If you turn the AC on does the aux (2nd) fan turn on?
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 01-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #13
Focuslu86
Focus Enthusiast

my car only overheats when I am stuck in traffic...the car starts acting weird, but as soon as i hit the gas...the gauge goes down to normal. I have turned on my A/C to see if the fans would work, but nothing at all (i put he knob to 3 with cold all the way, turned on A/C switch, recirculation switch)...and my fans wont move! i have used a master probe 3 to test the fan motor and both work (its like using jumper wires from the batt to the fan motor). It is a very annoying issue since the car would show that it over heats...i have replaced hoses, water pump, thermostat housing (with thermostat) since the heat to the parts would damage them completely...
Old 01-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #14
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

Points 7,787, Level 59
Points: 7,787, Level: 59 Points: 7,787, Level: 59 Points: 7,787, Level: 59
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Then just replace the head temp sender and while your at it replace the valve cover gasket. its $15....

But if your temp is getting up to the red and your fans are not working then you have something going on. So you have verified that the relay does work and have by passed the relay?

No I do not have either of the scanners you have asked about.

Have you tested conductivity? Test from Battery to Relay, relay to fans, relay to control module. If you have the wire diagram then at what point if you apply 12V do the fans no longer turn on? When you hit the gas and your temp goes down do the fans turn on? Perhaps a stuck thermostat is also in your problem? would not be the first time a new thermostat was stuck. did you get Ford OEM or buy some aftermarket part from a chain store?
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 01-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #15
Focuslu86
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
Then just replace the head temp sender and while your at it replace the valve cover gasket. its $15....

But if your temp is getting up to the red and your fans are not working then you have something going on. So you have verified that the relay does work and have by passed the relay?

No I do not have either of the scanners you have asked about.

Have you tested conductivity? Test from Battery to Relay, relay to fans, relay to control module. If you have the wire diagram then at what point if you apply 12V do the fans no longer turn on? When you hit the gas and your temp goes down do the fans turn on? Perhaps a stuck thermostat is also in your problem? would not be the first time a new thermostat was stuck. did you get Ford OEM or buy some aftermarket part from a chain store?
I replaced the thermostat recently and used and aftermarket part from advanced autoparts...did some research with that water pump and it seemed to be of good quality! I took it to an car electrician, like a week ago...he told me that the fans were working...that he tested the relays, fuses, everything! and supposedly was fine. I checked the temperature level of my car with a scan tool (the fans were supposed to kick in at 225 farenheits), but the fans didnt go on! i even turn the A/C on, and the fans dont work at all...this cooling system garbage is driving me nuts...btw, I have change water pump, thermostat housing and thermostat, radiator top hose since they were leaking coolant....
Old 01-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #16
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 2,935, Level 33
Points: 2,935, Level: 33 Points: 2,935, Level: 33 Points: 2,935, Level: 33
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 45%
Activity: 45% Activity: 45% Activity: 45%
FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Turning on the motor and then a/c or defrost on may not work to test fans in very cold weather. Even though fans switch on with a/c, they often don't in the cold based on PCM control.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #17
Focuslu86
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
Turning on the motor and then a/c or defrost on may not work to test fans in very cold weather. Even though fans switch on with a/c, they often don't in the cold based on PCM control.
i do live in miami, and its not cold at all! i just got the ford focus 2001 diagram and am tracing all the components, relays, and connectors to the cooling system! when the engine gets hot, it turns on one fan or both to keep it under 225 F? or just one fan turns on? I am checking the diagram for engine cooling system for a zetec-e without air conditioning, meaning thats the one that cools down the engine, correct?
Old 01-31-2013, 03:53 AM   #18
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Points 2,935, Level 33
Level Up 24% Completed
Forum Activity 45%
Uh, if you can read the electric schematic then you don't need to ask how many fans come on, it is evident.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:51 AM   #19
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,103, Level 97
Points: 27,103, Level: 97 Points: 27,103, Level: 97 Points: 27,103, Level: 97
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If you're hitting your gas and the temp changes, then yes you have some sort of issue with the temp sensor. However, your fans should come on if your AC comes on. Now the question is- does the AC work? If the AC doesn't work- like from low pressure- then the circuit isn't complete, and the fans aren't turned on.

Fix your valve cover gasket and replace your temp sender- see what happens. It doesn't seem like you're figuring anything out from all this testing and questioning.

If you still want to test stuff, then if I were you I'd do a continuity test on the negative to make sure it's connected somewhere. You should show .1 ohms if it doesn't read 0.0 ohms. You can also test the fan diodes which are in the fuse box. That's the backwards arrow symbol on your schematic. You should get continuity with one polarity, and open circuit with the other polarity. I would think that the ground connection was lost before you lost both diodes.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:34 PM   #20
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Points 2,935, Level 33
Level Up 24% Completed
Forum Activity 45%
'your fans should come on if your AC comes on'

I have recently discovered that is not necessarily true. If cold during winter the fans OFTEN do not come on with a/c , it will work by itself. The PCM regulating something there. After putting LEDs on low and high fan and a/c compressor itself I found that out, same on both my focus cars. Now, during summer, fans do pretty much come on with the a/c.

Bookmarks & Social Networks