12 Focus Depreciation That Bad? Really? <DATA ANALYSIS INCLUDED> - Page 9 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-16-2013, 05:17 AM   #81
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 10 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Apparently this site replaces your cuss word with 5 smiley faces no matter how long, or offensive, your cuss word was. Wierd.
Maybe it makes sense to do it that way. Keeps people from knowing for sure what the original word was, which is the reason for the smiley faces in the first place. (Kind of like passwords being harder to crack if the length can vary and is not displayed.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #82
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 10 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Condescending?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
Could you possibly be any more condescending with your comments on this subject?
That was not my intent. But if that's a request, I could give it a try. "Condescending" implies a "superior attitude". If you were bothered by the Benjamin Franklin quote about fools learning only from their own experience then you must have missed the part where I said that applied to me at least three of the four times I've been through this kind of thing. Or the part about me having been a fool so long I've gotten good at it? Hardly a superior attitude.

Quote:
People who don't do as you would are foolish children?
How did you get that from what I've said? Some owners with problem cars have have mentioned that they are young or that their 2012 Focus was their first new car purchase. Discovering that a new car isn't always trouble-free just because it is new (just the opposite if it's half-baked) feels like losing a bet (on the resale value) they didn't even know they were making. That's the second part of flyboyike's comment that I said they might disagree with, even if they don't keep it for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyike View Post
Then they're gambling. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
It's one thing to have problems with a new model in its first year (as all manufacturers have had at one time or another), but Ford seems to be making it worse in too many cases with poor service on top of that. There IS something wrong with that.

Quote:
Stupid kids... they should follow the sage advice of their wise and all-knowing Uncle Arco-Zakus. LOL
Could you possibly be any more condescending? If you had followed the advice I have mentioned, would you be going through the grief you are now with your 2012 Focus? I'm sincere in saying it is painful for me to read about what you and others are going through because I've had similar experiences myself. The first time I could blame my inexperience at buying new cars, but I had to face up to my having been fooled as being the reason after that. I'm not making any judgement about which is true in anyone else's case. That's up to you.

Quote:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...32#post4587632
... Part of the reason all my posts are so pissy and sour is because I'm always in an extremely bad mood after driving my dealership-ruined piece of junk home from work.
Maybe that explains a lot.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #83
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco-Zakus View Post
If you had followed the advice I have mentioned, would you be going through the grief you are now with your 2012 Focus?
I'm not normally one to disagree with Mr. Franklin, but I don't necessarily believe that experience is the best teacher.

In my experience, the worst advice one could receive regarding a 2012 Focus is to take it to the dealership if there is a problem.

I know that's not exactly true, and it doesn't make much sense, because the dealership service department is supposed to fix your car, not ruin it... but that hasn't been my experience.

My point is that everyone's experience is different. Your personal experience hasn't made you as wise as you think. Nor is your personal experience guaranteed to be applicable to the people you are giving (unsolicited) advice to.

I get it. You made some bad decisions regarding new car purchases when you were young and now you're trying to 'help' by clucking your tongue and quoting Ben Franklin and telling all the youngsters how foolish they've been. And you think you should be allowed to do this because you were a foolish youngster once, too! LOL

Some of us, however, are not young and made very informed decisions about what we were purchasing, and how much it was going to cost us in both interest and depreciation. So your Monday morning quarterbacking and 20/20 hindsight is neither useful nor appreciated.

I didn't purchase a house in the great real-estate bubble of the 2000s. I could easily go into home-owners forums and gloat about how clever I am for not being upside-down on a home with an expensive mortgage. I could tell them that their problems are all their own doing and offer 'advice' that was not only never asked for, but that is completely useless to them.

But that would make me a bit of a wanker, don't you think?
Old 03-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #84
RedComet
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99232
What I Drive: TB '14 Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 7 RedComet Good Standing Member
Not too worried about depreciation on my Focus. When it's paid off + I'm done with it, I know exactly how much it's going to be worth: not much. A few grand, like any half decade+ old domestic. Maybe a little more to the right buyer/enthusiast, with a good history and build. Otherwise...good luck.

Cars are inherently a losing proposition.
Kay - HN#79
'14 Fiesta ST Tux. Blk. 6MT, COBB Stg. 1
Gone: '12 Hatch SE Sport MTX75

V - Power* Junkie
Old 03-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #85
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedComet View Post
Cars are inherently a losing proposition.
Apparently that's a fact known littler than previously believed.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->