12 Focus Depreciation That Bad? Really? <DATA ANALYSIS INCLUDED> - Page 8 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-14-2013, 12:37 AM   #71
thejordan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107706
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Focus 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 4 thejordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)

you can't go off of MSRP, you have to go off what someone actually paid. 40% doesn't sound right. a lot of the higher packages are overpriced anyway and shouldn't be considered imo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #72
Rogerschro
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90661
What I Drive: '12 frosted glass SEL '67 Gal vert.

FF Reputation: 3 Rogerschro Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
if it will make people feel better, keep the car 30+ years and it could be worth more than you paid for it as a classic! My $4000 67 Galaxie is worth $8000+ now! (granted, I have probably $15000 invested in it but........ LOL! I never consider depreciation on a car I buy. I look at what I want to drive and what I want to pay for it. Depreciation is a fluid sum on any car and one year might be better than another for any model depending on popularity and reliability issues and just plain fickleness of used car market. There is no guarantee of any good return on any model and a low depreciation number is meaningless if the cars sell for less than stated value, rather like MSRP, it is always at best a guess. Some areas are selling a certain car for a lot more than another area based only on local demand. That is how cars get sold, new or used.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #73
asting
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98342
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerschro View Post
if it will make people feel better, keep the car 30+ years and it could be worth more than you paid for it as a classic! My $4000 67 Galaxie is worth $8000+ now! (granted, I have probably $15000 invested in it but........ LOL! I never consider depreciation on a car I buy. I look at what I want to drive and what I want to pay for it. Depreciation is a fluid sum on any car and one year might be better than another for any model depending on popularity and reliability issues and just plain fickleness of used car market. There is no guarantee of any good return on any model and a low depreciation number is meaningless if the cars sell for less than stated value, rather like MSRP, it is always at best a guess. Some areas are selling a certain car for a lot more than another area based only on local demand. That is how cars get sold, new or used.
You're completely neglecting to account for the change in relative value of a dollar. Your car is worth a tenth of what it was new.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #74
Rogerschro
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90661
What I Drive: '12 frosted glass SEL '67 Gal vert.

FF Reputation: 3 Rogerschro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by asting View Post
You're completely neglecting to account for the change in relative value of a dollar. Your car is worth a tenth of what it was new.
HA! True, true......
Old 03-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #75
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Geographical locations make a difference too. I bought my STI for $32k with only 3800 miles on the odo and could've sold it for $3000 more easily once I brought it back to Colorado and the same will hold as the Subi ages since 2001 WRXs still command a bit of a high price in Colorado. My 4Runner was $33k when new in '99 and I can still get a little over $7000 (have had a couple offers) for it even with 177k miles on it but say down in Florida I probably wouldn't even see near $5000 for it.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #76
asting
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98342
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
Geographical locations make a difference too. I bought my STI for $32k with only 3800 miles on the odo and could've sold it for $3000 more easily once I brought it back to Colorado and the same will hold as the Subi ages since 2001 WRXs still command a bit of a high price in Colorado. My 4Runner was $33k when new in '99 and I can still get a little over $7000 (have had a couple offers) for it even with 177k miles on it but say down in Florida I probably wouldn't even see near $5000 for it.
Regional differences definitely occur. The thing I think of most is body shape and salt. Southern regions that don't have salt will have more cars on the market that aren't rust buckets, which would command a premium in other regions.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #77
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
I continue to be concerned with the depreciation on the new Focus. I spotted a 2012 Focus SEL today for $13,995. I think it had a fair number of miles on it, around 25,000. But my oh my, that's a lot of depreciation in one year. Makes me wonder what the seller got on trade-in, around $12,500???
If it's an early SEL, it maybe a 4/11 build, so that's really two years of depreciation.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #78
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by asting View Post
Regional differences definitely occur. The thing I think of most is body shape and salt. Southern regions that don't have salt will have more cars on the market that aren't rust buckets, which would command a premium in other regions.
Oh yeah,rust belt cars look so different than how they age out here in our very dry climate plus we don't salt our roads in Colorado but we do use sand and mag-chloride but the mag stuff is much easier to clean off the car vs actual salt which gets stuck in places on the frame and propogates rust.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #79
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
You guys think you're mad - think of how gap insurance companies must feel!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #80
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerschro View Post

I paid $1500 for a 1971 Mustang Mach I back in 1978 and sold it a year later for about $1000 because it was a maintenance pig. The body was great and looked amazing which is why I bought it. Had I kept it and fixed it up it could be worth 10X or more of what I paid for it.

Ya never know...

Brian

Bookmarks & Social Networks