Trading in my 2012 Focus... - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83605
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Ingot Silver HB

FF Reputation: 1 sirhawkeye Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Trading in my 2012 Focus...

I've finally reached a point, after letting a few of my auto tech friends drive my car, that I have to trade in my 2012 Focus. From what I've been told by many is that there is a constant clutch issue, where they feel the car is trying to drive in 1st and 2nd and the same time when shifting.

Unfortunately, the car has been back to dealer regarding this at least 3 times. And none of those times, was the transmission ever removed to check. They only looked at the fluid, reprogrammed it, and then drove it. They dismiss the issues as being "normal". OK, so if that's normal, is it supposed to break/crack a motor mount too. Because that's what's happened I'm sure, because during acceleration, there is a loud knocking sound from the engine compartment, but only when accelerating and when the engine is running 1000+ RPM.

I'm putting this out because of my frustration with this car. I was hoping this car would live up to the hype that everyone thought it was going to. Apparently not, even according to major sources such as Consumer Reports.

So, unfortunately, tomorrow it gets traded for a truck (I need AWD/4WD anyway, as I'm starting to realize from where I live--roads aren't always plowed every time it snows so I get stuck a lot) but want to put this out there. Pretty much all of my cars for the past ten years (3 vehicles) have all been Fords (not including the 2012 Focus), so I've been an avid loyal Ford customer, but unfortunately (for Ford) that's going to change... AT this point, I won't even consider any of their trucks because I don't want to risk have issues again and having to deal with the same dealers again and again. I think Ford would have benefited from waiting another year or two before introducing the DCT in its cars. I think they have thrown away the progress they had made in customer loyalty and trust with the DCT in the Focus.

Sad thing is that everyone whose looked at my car says that it will more than likely need a new trans before 100k, so I'm getting rid of it before the standard warranty runs out so I can still get something for it. I'm just a bit frustrated with Ford at this point. Sometimes being one of the early adpoters on a new technology isn't always the best or more beneficial, and can sometimes hurt in the long run...

I see now that the Dodge Dart has a DCT, and I think that they saw what happened with the Focus DCT and were able to adjust to it. I haven't drive one yet, but from all of the reviews I've read, it's a better dual clutch. I'm not buying another car, so I don't really care about the Dart, but it just goes to show that sometimes the first one (or early one) out isn't always the best.

The one sad thing is that the car gets great fuel economy, but in my opinion, if the car is needing constant work done, I'd much rather have a vehicle that gets less MPG but doesn't have issues like the Focus does. There's a point when reliability and not having a car be a constant headache that outweighs the high fuel economy...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
thejordan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107706
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Focus 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 3 thejordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Old 03-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
Indy'sexclusiveZx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 65419
What I Drive: 2013 tuxedo black st

FF Reputation: 7 Indy'sexclusiveZx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Ditto ^ what this guy said. If you we're a true ford guy you would never give up on them
Old 03-06-2013, 06:08 AM   #4
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
I'm more interested in a detailed explanation of how Focus DCT issues translate to potential problems with Ford trucks.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #5
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy'sexclusiveZx3 View Post
Ditto ^ what this guy said. If you we're a true ford guy you would never give up on them
I'm ready to give up on them.

They've given up on (helping) me, so why exactly should myself or the OP remain loyal to them?

I still think they make the best cars/trucks of any domestic maker... but after the treatment I have received after one of their dealerships ruined my car, they'll never get another dime from me.

Sirhawkeye, I am so jealous that you will soon be rid of your 'normal' Focus.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
ShoOff
Focus Addict

Fan#: 109590
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 15 ShoOff Great Standing Member
wait wait wait................ they checked your fluid? On a DRY clutch? Should i be confused?
Old 03-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoOff View Post
wait wait wait................ they checked your fluid? On a DRY clutch? Should i be confused?
They probably checked his blinker fluid, too.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoOff View Post
The gearbox itself does have fluid, which is what I expect the dealer checked. The fluid in the gearbox is supposed to stay there, though. It probably didn't and is causing the OP's problems. Sounds like another dealer service issue.

Wonder what kind of trade-in value a car that behaves that badly will command?
Old 03-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
Indy'sexclusiveZx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 65419
What I Drive: 2013 tuxedo black st

FF Reputation: 7 Indy'sexclusiveZx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
I'm ready to give up on them.

They've given up on (helping) me, so why exactly should myself or the OP remain loyal to them?

I still think they make the best cars/trucks of any domestic maker... but after the treatment I have received after one of their dealerships ruined my car, they'll never get another dime from me.

Sirhawkeye, I am so jealous that you will soon be rid of your 'normal' Focus.
But if its the dealer giving you crap then go to a diff dealer so on and so forth
Old 03-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy'sexclusiveZx3 View Post
But if its the dealer giving you crap then go to a diff dealer so on and so forth
This.

Go to the dealer with the best service you've experienced [if possible]. Because once you buy the car, that's the only department you'll be dealing with from that point forward.

This was my first car purchase, so I bought from a random dealer. I had no idea at the time, but now I feel bad that I have given so much money to a dealer that doesn't deserve any of it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks