smacked a 90 something miata - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > General Racing Chat

General Racing Chat Use this Forum to discuss everything from launching off the line and four wheel drifts, to telling your favorite race tale. (Posting Rules)

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-22-2004, 05:16 PM   #1
yellowzx3R
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3167
What I Drive: 03 focus 2.3, 66stang, 84 AE86

FF Reputation: 1 yellowzx3R Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Talking smacked a 90 something miata

This saturday I was coming home from college with 2 of my friends in my car. I was trying to look for a race and I spotted this 92-95 civic hatchback and I was going to follow him to have some fun, i know I was going to lose because it looked moded and I had 2 more people in my car. anyway he took another lane and I decided not to follow him because I was going to deviate from my path. Then at the same light where the civic had just turned there was this white, 90 something Miata, convertibe and stick shift (i saw it) he was reving his engine because he was adjusting the rev in a Monster Auto Meter tachometer, so he had a tach. Anyways from this light we were not going to race because we had traffic infront of us.Anyways the light turned green, i passed the car in front of me he passed the car infront of him and now with no traffic he floored it and I did the same. at first i tought he was going to pull but no he stayed behind and i shuttit at 80. Then this time we get another red light this time was going to be from a stop. Now he starts revving, me too and the light turned green so off we go and I left him behind since first gear. this was a good race because he was alone and I had 2 more people and my car is stock. He just passed me with a flyby. the next light he talked to me and said that my muffler was moving too much and that he was getting rid of that car and buying an STi or S200 and was just laughing all the way home.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2004, 05:50 PM   #2
pocketlion
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 15748
What I Drive: 2000 autumn orange zx4

FF Reputation: 1 pocketlion Good Standing Member
The S2000 is a sweet car... for Japanesecrap anyway. You're muffler is probably moving around because the rubber hanger in the back that it hangs on came out. Turn the rubber piece until you can squeze it back up into the frame, and then twist it back. You'll probably need a screwdriver and some pliers to manipulate the rubber piece. Miatas and Mr2's are way too slow for what they are. How about a Focus convertible? I'd be interested.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:53 AM   #3
CivicHatch+SVT-F
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 4136
What I Drive: Chris=96 Civic Hatch

FF Reputation: 4 CivicHatch+SVT-F Good Standing Member
lol... Japanesecrap... thats... cute

good kill man

Ek hatch
- JDM b16 (SiRII) swap, Kaaz 1.5 way LSD, Evo2 exhaust, shorty intake, hi-flow cat, B&M 2-bend shifter, gutted, lightweight bucket CF seats, weighs in @ 2250lbs
Old 11-23-2004, 11:02 AM   #4
bwojdyla
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 3589
What I Drive: Red 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 bwojdyla Good Standing Member
yes, you smoked him.... but it would be no contest on twisties. As much as I am in awe of the ability of my focus on twisties, the Miata is in another league of handling. The genII miata would likely smoke you straight line too so don't get too big for your britches.

I want a mazdaspeed miata to play with. I want a Miata drivetrain to build a caterham 7 around.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:09 PM   #5
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
So glad somebody else knows about Caterham! I have been in love for years after I got a ride around Brands Hatch in the EVO magazine R500 Superlight. Let me tell you how friggin incredible that was. EVERYTHING got out of our way. 355 Challenges, Lotus 340Rs, TVR Tuscan, etc. Ok, I guess the Radicals didn't get right out of our way....

There's much better drivetrains than the Miata's though. The stock one they use in the US is a Zetec, so a 200BHP SVT motor would fit right in with no extra engineering, and I think a NA engine is the only way to go with these. They are all about response...

My evil plan, if I were to put a different engine in, would be to use a Porsche 968 motor. 3.0L four with 240 BHP and a huge amount of torque stock. It'd be nothing to tune it to 300/300 and scare the living crap out of myself in a 700 pound sportscar.

www.caterhamusa.com
Old 11-28-2004, 05:47 PM   #6
bwojdyla
Focus Fanatic

The trouble with fitting up a Zetec engine is getting a Ford Type 9 transmission over here. $$$$. The miata powertrain is ready to go. add 1 JRSC and blamo, tire scorching 1300 lb racer. (I have no idea how you'd get one down to 700 lbs). This car was my mechanical engineering capstone project and let me tell you, it made lambo's look like BIT(HES!
Old 11-29-2004, 08:49 AM   #7
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Oops, I meant 700 Kilos...
Did you guys make a Superlight? Tell me more!
Old 11-29-2004, 09:16 AM   #8
bwojdyla
Focus Fanatic

We "made" one. all digital. We used I-DEAS, CARSIM, and Excel to digitally create and test a mathmatical model. It was based on a tubular spaceframe similar to the original design. The rear was updated with a independat rear suspension instead of the solid axle. the structure was improved by optimizing the frame for torsional and flexural rigidity, and crash intrusion. We also incorporated a roll bar and removed the windshield. The engine was a genII miata with beefed up internals, ported intake, bigger valves, revised exhaust, a JRSC. I think it made about 200 or 225 whp. The transmission was upgraded with a multplate clutch. Rear end gearing was altered to 4.11. I believe it did 0-60 in about 2.9 seconds and breaking was something like 100-0 in 150 ft. skid pad around 1.1 g. simulated track times were out of control.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:04 PM   #9
yellowzx3R
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3167
What I Drive: 03 focus 2.3, 66stang, 84 AE86

FF Reputation: 1 yellowzx3R Good Standing Member
That's a cool car. and fast too.

Bookmarks & Social Networks