Stroker Crank / Kit Co-Op? - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #21
DarwinSays
Focus Addict
 
DarwinSays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Fan#: 35941
Location: I75 & M59, MI
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Silver / EAP / CWP

Posts: 621
FF Reputation: 2 DarwinSays Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
LAST CALL.

If these get ordered, it will be at the end of next week (Mar 29th-ish) unless/until I attempt the co op again at a later date, or someone expresses an interest in picking one of these kits up before this fall/next spring.
__________________
User Gallery
#include 'brain.h'
DarwinSays is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #22
blanezx3
Focus Addict
 
blanezx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Fan#: 764
Location: Roanoke, VA
What I Drive: 03 twi-blue zx3

Posts: 1,444
Points 2,401, Level 29
Points: 2,401, Level: 29 Points: 2,401, Level: 29 Points: 2,401, Level: 29
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 blanezx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
What is included in the kit?
__________________
performance?

FR stg 2 cams, UR cam gears, FC 65mm TB, ported 2k manifold, 50lb injectors, FC race header, Bosal flex, Borla catback, Zex, Procharger, Xcal2
blanezx3 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #23
DarwinSays
Focus Addict
 
DarwinSays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Fan#: 35941
Location: I75 & M59, MI
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Silver / EAP / CWP

Posts: 621
FF Reputation: 2 DarwinSays Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I don't have a specific parts list yet, but here is what I could find, which are the details of the kit from when Tom still openly offered it on his site:

2.3 billet stroker crank
custom Rods
Custom Forged pistons
Rings
New rod and main bearings
Bal Assy
ARP Main studs

This may not be entirely accurate though; similarly, some of the cost of the kit may be for installation labor. I'll talk to Tom and see if I can get him to chime in with a confirmation of this list, or to provide an accurate list of parts.
I need to talk to him anyway to see how using one of these kits would impact the cost of a freshly built motor from him anyway, since obviously some of the parts he would otherwise use won't be going into the motor, etc.
__________________
User Gallery
#include 'brain.h'
DarwinSays is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #24
Rudel
FF's Quadriplegic!
 
Rudel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Fan#: 13465
Location: Tampa, United States
What I Drive: 2.3 ATX-RSVT

Posts: 2,882
Points 9,909, Level 66
Points: 9,909, Level: 66 Points: 9,909, Level: 66 Points: 9,909, Level: 66
Level Up 65% Completed
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 15 Rudel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Since I'm drag racing mine, it wouldn't hurt to have extra parts. Hmmmm
__________________
513whp on Race Gas; Tuned by Fernando@RacingPartsSolution.com
Pump gas? Ppffff!

Part III: Install Handicap Driving Controls
Ma Cah: http://imgur.com/a/TuyYL
Rudel is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #25
shadowzx3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
shadowzx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Fan#: 55333
Location: Ontario, Canada, Canada
What I Drive: 2001 Black ZX3

Posts: 34
FF Reputation: 1 shadowzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I would seriously be interested but this will be by july/august, currently building the savings account to put towards parts. I am planning to rebuild the bottom end myself minus the machine work.
shadowzx3 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #26
sdaddy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
sdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Fan#: 105173
Location: El Sobrante, CA
What I Drive: Green 2002 Birkin w/2L Zetec

Posts: 36
FF Reputation: 1 sdaddy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinSays View Post
I don't have a specific parts list yet, but here is what I could find, which are the details of the kit from when Tom still openly offered it on his site:

2.3 billet stroker crank
custom Rods
Custom Forged pistons
Rings
New rod and main bearings
Bal Assy
ARP Main studs

This may not be entirely accurate though; similarly, some of the cost of the kit may be for installation labor. I'll talk to Tom and see if I can get him to chime in with a confirmation of this list, or to provide an accurate list of parts.
I need to talk to him anyway to see how using one of these kits would impact the cost of a freshly built motor from him anyway, since obviously some of the parts he would otherwise use won't be going into the motor, etc.
I'd be interested in this combination.
Would also be best if timing was late summer so work could be done over next winter.
sdaddy is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #27
DarwinSays
Focus Addict
 
DarwinSays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Fan#: 35941
Location: I75 & M59, MI
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Silver / EAP / CWP

Posts: 621
FF Reputation: 2 DarwinSays Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudel View Post
Since I'm drag racing mine, it wouldn't hurt to have extra parts. Hmmmm
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowzx3 View Post
I would seriously be interested but this will be by july/august, currently building the savings account to put towards parts. I am planning to rebuild the bottom end myself minus the machine work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaddy View Post
I'd be interested in this combination.
Would also be best if timing was late summer so work could be done over next winter.
I need absolute confirmation if any of you intend to purchase one of these kits. I can push the window back a little if you're serious about picking up a kit, but I would really like to have the new motor installed and operating before this summer if at all possible.
__________________
User Gallery
#include 'brain.h'
DarwinSays is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #28
sdaddy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
sdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Fan#: 105173
Location: El Sobrante, CA
What I Drive: Green 2002 Birkin w/2L Zetec

Posts: 36
FF Reputation: 1 sdaddy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Here are the options I'm seeing for bottom end. Do they sound correct??

1) Stock - cost: nothing - advantage: nothing
2) 2.0L parts as noted in post #9 ~$1,800 + assembly - advantage: smoother and spin to about 7,700 RPM (~5% more HP on top with right top end)
3) 2.0L assembled short block with parts from above ~$2,200 - advantage: as above plus "plug and play"
4) 2.3L parts as noted in post #9 plus forged crank ~$3,700 - advantage: same as point 2 but (guessing here) ~10% bump in HP and Torque
5) 2.3L assembled short block ~$4,000(?) - advantage: same as point 4 but "plug and play"

Are people thinking the same? And, to Tom's question, are there three people (me probably being one and DarwinSays being another) that would spring for option 4 or 5??
__________________
Weight: 1200 lbs ...and planning to add more lightness.

Last edited by sdaddy; 04-02-2013 at 09:09 PM.
sdaddy is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #29
DarwinSays
Focus Addict
 
DarwinSays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Fan#: 35941
Location: I75 & M59, MI
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Silver / EAP / CWP

Posts: 621
FF Reputation: 2 DarwinSays Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Dammit, you had me scratching my head with your reference to post #5...haha.
You meant post #9, I believe.

1) Correct.
2) 7700RPM might be a bit of a stretch, since the performance up that high would depend on cams; even the SVT cams start to taper at ~6500RPM, and tuning can only do so much.
3) More or less; see above.
4) The 2.3L build - assuming the parts listed in post #23, as you more or less described - would be a 15% increase in displacement. If you optimize the ports and cam to make best use of this, I would think you could see most if not all of that 15%. Otherwise I would agree that 10% is a safe estimate.
5) If memory serves, Tom's assembled 2L long block runs in the vicinity of $3600. So if you figure that plus $3700 for the stroker kit, less any redundant parts (pistons, rods, bearings, main studs, etc.)...you could probably figure a ballpark estimate, but I'd prefer to wait til we hear from Tom himself, whom I haven't contacted yet.
Yeah, I've been slacking a little, lol.

It's a bit late for tonight, but I'll try to catch him in the next day or two.
__________________
User Gallery
#include 'brain.h'
DarwinSays is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #30
sdaddy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
sdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Fan#: 105173
Location: El Sobrante, CA
What I Drive: Green 2002 Birkin w/2L Zetec

Posts: 36
FF Reputation: 1 sdaddy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinSays View Post
Dammit, you had me scratching my head with your reference to post #5...haha.
You meant post #9, I believe.

1) Correct.
2) 7700RPM might be a bit of a stretch, since the performance up that high would depend on cams; even the SVT cams start to taper at ~6500RPM, and tuning can only do so much.
3) More or less; see above.
4) The 2.3L build - assuming the parts listed in post #23, as you more or less described - would be a 15% increase in displacement. If you optimize the ports and cam to make best use of this, I would think you could see most if not all of that 15%. Otherwise I would agree that 10% is a safe estimate.
5) If memory serves, Tom's assembled 2L long block runs in the vicinity of $3600. So if you figure that plus $3700 for the stroker kit, less any redundant parts (pistons, rods, bearings, main studs, etc.)...you could probably figure a ballpark estimate, but I'd prefer to wait til we hear from Tom himself, whom I haven't contacted yet.
Yeah, I've been slacking a little, lol.
You're right... sorry. Time to put on my old-folks glasses. Any news on the actual cost of the 2.3 kit, what's included and what's not?
__________________
Weight: 1200 lbs ...and planning to add more lightness.

Last edited by sdaddy; 04-03-2013 at 07:40 PM.
sdaddy is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.