Ignition cylinder disassembly - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-10-2008, 05:21 PM   #1
focusfocus2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 53498
What I Drive: 2002 ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 focusfocus2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Ignition cylinder disassembly

Greetings, I need some help. Recently our Ford Focus had the 'classic' problem with the ignition switch.
Put the key in and it won't turn. I managed to find enough info online to successfully, and without-drilling, remove the ignition lock cylinder.

I would like to just remove the tumblers, and i have seen mehtion it doing that in numerous places, the problem in, I don't know how to even get the cylinder open.
Any help/suggestions?
THANKS!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008, 10:50 AM   #2
GZetec
Focus Addict

Fan#: 36463
What I Drive: 01 White SE 4dr

FF Reputation: 1 GZetec Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
its a little tricky, but i just replaced the whole cylinder.
on the back of the cylinder is a cotter pin thats almost a complete circle, remove that with a pair of needle nose pliars and the rest should literally fall apart.
let me know if this works!
Currently cruising with: AEM CAI. Shorty header. FC HF Cat. CatBack 2.25" & Flex. FC UDP's. Euro Upper and Lower grill and clear corners. Halo Headlights. Tune by Turbo Tom. SVT Struts, Eibach Springs. Ported TB.

Television. Rules the Nation.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
focusfocus2
Focus Rookie

Oh, Thank you SOSOSO much!! That thing WAS pretty hard to get off, but once I did, with the key out, the lock just slid right apart. It's funny, that was the piece I was looking at to begin with, then I decided I must be wrong because it won't come apart with the key in and turned to anything but off. Anyway, successful disassembly, reassembly, and reinstalation. Even did a test start of the car, and it works fine. SO again, thank you!
Old 02-11-2008, 01:46 PM   #4
nacnudv8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52725
What I Drive: former owner:Pitch Black '03 SVT 3D

FF Reputation: 7 nacnudv8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
so if I'm right - you can (if key key can turn to Accessory position) take all the springs and tabs out and put the lock back in place an it will work? Does that mean any key will work on it and is this just a temp fix?
Old 02-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #5
GZetec
Focus Addict

Fan#: 36463
What I Drive: 01 White SE 4dr

FF Reputation: 1 GZetec Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
no problem man! send some rep points my way (*cough cough*)

glad i could help! this was such an aggravating problem with my car especially in a huge snow covered parking lot at 3am lol. that sucked.
Currently cruising with: AEM CAI. Shorty header. FC HF Cat. CatBack 2.25" & Flex. FC UDP's. Euro Upper and Lower grill and clear corners. Halo Headlights. Tune by Turbo Tom. SVT Struts, Eibach Springs. Ported TB.

Television. Rules the Nation.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:03 PM   #6
focusfocus2
Focus Rookie

As for the key, yeah, If you can get it to the accessory position, (I did it with a little banging after a couple tries) It can be taken out easily.

http://forums.focaljet.com/team-tech...nder-help.html

The little pin ONLY goes down when the key is in the accessory position. Once out, I opened it up, then opened the little silver colored side panel. The springs took themselves out (lol) and I took the tumblers out. I put it back together, including that cotter pin, and put it back in.

Now, as I understand, the the anti theft system is not in the ignition lock cylinder, but in the area it fits into, so replacing the cylinder idoesn't change that (getting one set to your key will make things simpler, there are several threads here about that).

Even with no tumblers, though, I have to have my 'special' key to start the engine. Any key or screw driver or pretty much anything can turn the accessory power on, but the anti theft device will not let the car start the engine unless it senses the right key.
(an added odd thing, the key now can come out, even with the car started lol)

As for how permanent the fix is, That depends. It probably isn't great it the car is a lease, or if you want to resell it, but it does not effect the running of the car, It may be a little easier to steal(it the thief maybe knew how to disable the passive anti theft thing), but then again, a thief would have no way of knowing there were no tumblers, and the wheel lock and everything still works.

GZetech, rep-points, allready done ;) TY again!
Old 02-11-2008, 06:04 PM   #7
FiaCobra
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53289
What I Drive: Ford

FF Reputation: 1 FiaCobra Good Standing Member
ok, let me ask this. I have a '02 SE sedan i picked up 2 weeks ago. The key works just fine however, how can i tell if this hasn't been replaced before? The key cylinder face is aluminum/chrome in color.
ZETEC CREW #225
Old 02-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #8
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Member penguin Excellent Standing Member
> how can i tell if this hasn't been replaced before?

do a message search. There is a thread which contains photos of the old and new types so that you can identify them visually.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:11 PM   #9
drjkel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34025
What I Drive: 2001 Amazon Green ZTS, 2012 SE Seda

FF Reputation: 9 drjkel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The following thread has pictures of old and new lock cyliders:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...ition+cylinder

b16sir1991 can set you right up with a new ignition cylinder. The replacement is straightforward if you take your time.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #10
Zagor
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109254
What I Drive: 2003 Red SE

FF Reputation: 1 Zagor Good Standing Member
I have the ignition out, but I just can't figure out how to take it apart. Any pictures or more specific directions? Any help is appreciated.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.