Is this still normal? driving in sport mode select shift from 2-3 issue. will 1st oil change help? - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
k1ngkev1n1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103124
What I Drive: 2012 ford focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 k1ngkev1n1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Is this still normal? driving in sport mode select shift from 2-3 issue. will 1st oil change help?

So i took my car when it had about 2000 miles on it because when i drove the car in sport mode and used select shift it always had a delay when shifting from 2-3rd gear. every other shift was instant. also of course the rattling i heard while driving around usually at low speeds. Of course dealership said nothing could be found, and that the car needs to be driven more. So now i have 7000 miles on the car and still have the same shifting problem from 2-3 when im in sport mode and using select shift. Also the rattling is still there as well. I still havent gotten my first oil change yet will this help you think? or will it even matter?

Like to hear your guys thoughts thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
hooligander
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103250
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus SEL MT

FF Reputation: 1 hooligander Good Standing Member
Oil Change wont help

Try another dealership possible when you do your oil change
Old 03-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
k1ngkev1n1
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligander View Post
Oil Change wont help

Try another dealership possible when you do your oil change
Yea I'm going to try another dealership when I get my first oil change. Honestly if it shifting correctly from 2-3 in sport mode I would be a lot happier driving in sport is fun, but when it lags from 2-3 your only speedy up to a point then you have to wait for it to shift... Annoying. The rattling sucks as well, but I can deal as long as the car drives correctly. Just not sure what it could be causing it to happen only from 2-3 gear.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
hooligander
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103250
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus SEL MT

FF Reputation: 1 hooligander Good Standing Member
I dont want to offend but typically most cars suck in this "sport" or "manual" mode

I remember the old tiptronics were the same deal

At what RPM are you shifting from 2nd to 3rd? You really shouldnt be shifting under 3k because you will probably get some of this shudder
Old 03-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
k1ngkev1n1
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligander View Post
I dont want to offend but typically most cars suck in this "sport" or "manual" mode

I remember the old tiptronics were the same deal

At what RPM are you shifting from 2nd to 3rd? You really shouldnt be shifting under 3k because you will probably get some of this shudder
It's definatly above 3k. I just don't think it should delay 2-3 when every other shift is fine.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ngkev1n1 View Post
So i took my car when it had about 2000 miles on it because when i drove the car in sport mode and used select shift it always had a delay when shifting from 2-3rd gear. every other shift was instant. also of course the rattling i heard while driving around usually at low speeds...
Hi k1ngkev1n1,

As others have suggested, you're welcome to get a second opinion at a different Ford dealership. Also, I'm happy to get your case in the hands of your regional customer service manager. Send me a PM with your info (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, full name) and I'll get to work.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 03-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
k1ngkev1n1
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi k1ngkev1n1,

As others have suggested, you're welcome to get a second opinion at a different Ford dealership. Also, I'm happy to get your case in the hands of your regional customer service manager. Send me a PM with your info (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, full name) and I'll get to work.

Crystal
Just sent the message. Ill wait for a response than kyou.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
sogosu
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104452
What I Drive: 2012 white platinum titanium hatch

FF Reputation: 1 sogosu Good Standing Member
Hey k1ngkev1n1 - I remember the same thread you created a few months ago.

I'm still experiencing the same thing after 7k kms on my '12 Titanium.
It's gotten so annoying that I don't use selectshift anymore :(

I've taken it to a couple of dealers and they've both given me the "it's normal" excuse.
It's too bad beacause I like everything else about the car (so far) but the customer experience at the service departments I've been to have not been great. I will probably trade it in after a couple of years for something other than a Ford.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
k1ngkev1n1
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogosu View Post
Hey k1ngkev1n1 - I remember the same thread you created a few months ago.

I'm still experiencing the same thing after 7k kms on my '12 Titanium.
It's gotten so annoying that I don't use selectshift anymore :(

I've taken it to a couple of dealers and they've both given me the "it's normal" excuse.
It's too bad beacause I like everything else about the car (so far) but the customer experience at the service departments I've been to have not been great. I will probably trade it in after a couple of years for something other than a Ford.
Did you drive it with a technician? Yea I'm really thinking about trading it in and going back to Honda accord. I'm gonna see how this next visit goes hopefully something is fixed or atleast they change some parts or acknowledge its not right.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
sogosu
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104452
What I Drive: 2012 white platinum titanium hatch

FF Reputation: 1 sogosu Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ngkev1n1 View Post
Did you drive it with a technician? Yea I'm really thinking about trading it in and going back to Honda accord. I'm gonna see how this next visit goes hopefully something is fixed or atleast they change some parts or acknowledge its not right.
No I didn't go on a ride with a technician. Both times I took it in they acknowledged the behaviour and said others have experienced it but they are still attributing it to the normal driving characteristics of the car. When I asked why others weren't experiencing the same things I was told the transmission could still be breaking in.

I feel like they are just reciting excuses from a script when something can't be explained. I don't have the time or energy to go visit multiple dealers all over the city when I know I'm going to get the same scripted answer.

Bookmarks & Social Networks