Chevy Cruze Diesel on the way.... - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94835
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Chevy Cruze Diesel on the way....

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...source=twitter

Now Mazda and Chevy have new "oil burning" offerings in the compact segment, one wonders if Ford will bring the Focus diesel over here? Use a conventional 6 speed manual and I think they would have a winner (in Canada at least, since everyone up here loves the TDI VW/Audi's... )
I miss my old TDI Jetta sometimes, the nice thing about diesel cars is the consintency of the milage returns... city or highway, easy or hard driving, I always got over a 1000km to a tank (or 50-52 mpg), even winter driving was around 48mpg minimum...

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Ford has some of the best diesels in the industry so if competitors begin to make money on diesels in North America, Ford could very easily come in with a sure winner.

I still don't see the diesels being popular enough to sway Ford's decision though.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
gondorian
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105695
What I Drive: 2002 wgn (Selling) 2004 2.3 wgn 5sp

FF Reputation: 7 gondorian Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Our emissions and fuel tax structure tend to be skewed against diesel. Not to mention all the tax incentives for hybrids that tend to pop up.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
YesMAN
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102901
What I Drive: '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 1 YesMAN Good Standing Member
The Cruze diesel will get the same mileage as the Eco version but go longer between fuel stops? How is that possible? They're putting in a larger fuel tank as a marketing gimmick?

The trouble is they'll probably charge $1-2k for the diesel, and diesel fuel costs $.40 more than gas, and diesels cost more to maintain, all for what? Some more torque? If it doesn't significantly help acceleration it won't matter much. It'll be a poor value proposition for the masses.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
Bogey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104241
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 Bogey Good Standing Member
I'd buy one. In a heart beat
Old 01-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
YesMAN
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102901
What I Drive: '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 1 YesMAN Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey View Post
I'd buy one. In a heart beat
In a "heart beat of America"?
Old 01-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
scott7278
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100021
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 5 scott7278 Good Standing Member
I would love for Ford to come out with a diesel, but they only make sense for people who actually care about their cars...otherwise, everything else around the engine will be rusted and broken while the engine will go strong.

Sign me up!
Old 01-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

FF Reputation: 8 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
My mother has a Cruze. She likes it fine except the low end, I tend to agree. More low end torque would make that car much better. The gas engine they have in them doesn't like to stay running at parking lot speeds. A diesel would be worth checking out
Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
Supernaut
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85958
What I Drive: '99 Kawasaki Ninja EX500

FF Reputation: 1 Supernaut Good Standing Member
I can't see diesel making much sense around here at least. In Edmonton, AB diesel currently costs about 15% more than gas does and has been that way for a while. With the extra initial purchase cost its kind of hard to imagine the diesel ever paying off even if the fuel price were equal. Plus there is DEF to deal with these days, yet another extra cost.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:46 AM   #10
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Math is beyond most people. Here's a 300 mile comparison between a car that gets 30 mpg and a turbo diesel car that gets 40 mpg

3.20/gal
300/30= 10 x 3.20= 32.00
32/300= $.1067 per mile.

3.80/gal diesel
300/40= 7.5 x 3.80= 28.5
28.5/300= $.095 per mile

10k/yr
Gas: 10k x .1067= $1067
Diesel: 10k x .095= $950

Nah, diesel is more expensive- right? Those figures aren't even real world (more than 15% diff). Let's assume that the gas car gets somewhere realistic like 32-35 mpg, and the diesel gets what VW TDI owners report: 48-50 mpg. The stretch widens. There are places in the USA where diesel is as cheap as regular gas. If our oil companies weren't making a mint selling diesel to South America, the price would be lower. The price stretch widens further when you compare biodiesel blends to 100% petro diesel. Why our manufacturers- especially hybrids like the Volt- didn't combine diesel and electric, I'll never know. Especially since Clinton and Gore had a cooperative with the Big 3 building diesel electric hybrids that were reported to get 72 mpg - without batteries! Those cars were all built on the same principle that trains run on- diesel engines running generators powering electric motors. That's basically how the Volt runs also- except with a gasoline engine, and that the gasoline engine has the ability to drive the wheels whereas in the PNGV vehicles, the cars were specifically series hybrids where the engine isn't connected mechanically with the transmission.

Where's that tech today? Buried in an America that can only see what's in front of their face.

And Ford? Ford NA is so stupid that in spite of requests they still don't believe that a TDCI Transit Connect will sell to business owners. People who have vehicles used for making money know that the diesel fuel economy is affected less by a load than gasoline.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks