Focus 6 speed - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-09-2013, 04:42 AM   #1
blub61
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111063
What I Drive: gto

FF Reputation: 1 blub61 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Focus 6 speed

I can't seem to find anything relating to the discussion/possibility of a 6 speed manual for the focus (besides St). I'm in the market for a new compact but the 5 speed is an absolute deal breaker for me. Surely I can't be the only one who feels this way. What benefit could there possibly be for using a 5 speed over 6? Why would you not want an extra long gear for highway driving? I think Ford is the only one still utilizing this crap. Is there any chance of a 6 in the future?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #2
BrApple
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95810
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 BrApple Good Standing Member
Yes you are not the only person that feels this way.

However the 5-spd gearing is well matched to the 2L engine. Another gear would make for alot more shifting to get up to speed and would put the rpm to low on the highway to be usable.

A 6-spd would be cool to say that one has one, but I just don't see it being well placed in this car.
- 2k Contour SVT - #2137
- 12 Impreza 2.0i Premium - CVT
Old 03-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
StingRay
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67421
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver ST

FF Reputation: 4 StingRay Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
65mph is damn near 3k rpm on the 5 speed. My 6th gear is around 2400. To say 6th gear would be too low is just not true. The mk3 would benefit greatly from a 6th gear for highway driving if the ratio was the same as the DCT.

BUT, I think Ford is stuck in the mindset that only performance models need 6 soreness manuals, which I really don't get.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
Focus_Happy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 62197
What I Drive: 2 SVTs & 1 Electric

FF Reputation: 2 Focus_Happy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
A Car & Driver article I read a few months ago stated that the new 1L Ecoboost coming to North America later this year will be paired with a 6 speed.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Happy View Post
A Car & Driver article I read a few months ago stated that the new 1L Ecoboost coming to North America later this year will be paired with a 6 speed.
That's going to be for the Fiesta 1.0t

The 5spd in the 2012 Focus is one of the best transmissions I've ever been able to drive. Don't discredit it because of having one less cog than an ST.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34077
What I Drive: Gen Coupe Rspec

FF Reputation: 4 FLYLOW Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Funny all my cars have been 6 speed... And ive hated 1-2 gear on all of them, especially on my first 2. They were so modded that 1st and 2nd gear came and went so fast and short i would just get wheel spin and lose time shifting through them... But when i got to 3rd-4th i would kill anything. Now if ur keeping ur car stock then its a little better but not enough to justify a swap or paying more for a car with it. Mpg while cruising on 6th? Maybe 1-2 extra if any
Old 03-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
Supernaut
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85958
What I Drive: '99 Kawasaki Ninja EX500

FF Reputation: 1 Supernaut Good Standing Member
Ford isn't the only 5 speed out there. Mazda 3 and Subaru Impreza (regular and WRX) come to mind. Fiat 500 is a different class altogether but its also 5 speed. There may be others if one were to dig deep enough

In addition to what other stated. Think of it as less clutch usage as well that may possibly extend the clutch life somewhat. Depending on the car and the power band and so on, the time taken for the extra shift could possibly hinder rather than help acceleration. Of course to prove that you would probably have to set up 2 identical cars but one with a 5 speed and the other a 6.

I prefer 6 but 5 speeds wouldn't be a deal breaker to me.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
RedComet
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99232
What I Drive: TB '14 Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 7 RedComet Good Standing Member
I wouldn't worry about it.
Kay - HN#79
'14 Fiesta ST Tux. Blk. 6MT, COBB Stg. 1
Gone: '12 Hatch SE Sport MTX75

V - Power* Junkie
Old 03-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
Deesiel678
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105147
What I Drive: 2013 white SE hatch

FF Reputation: 3 Deesiel678 Good Standing Member
Why is it a deal breaker? The 'crappy 5 speed' equipped Focus gets the same gas mileage on the highway as the 'state-of-the-art six-speed' equipped Cruze (non ECO model, according to the EPA).. And the Focus has more HP too. It also gets the same or better gas mileage than the 6 speed equipped Scion TC, Mazda 3s (2.5l engine), VW Golf, Kia Forte Koup, and Dodge Dart. In fact, there are only a few vehicles in this class that get a significant MPG advantage with a 6 speed manual, like the Cruze ECO. Also, there are several vehicles in this class that still use 'crappy 5 speeds', like Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla to name a few.
Don't miss out on a great car simply because it lacks a 6th cog. MPG performance is right in line with it's 6 speed competitors.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #10
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
My beef would be more akin to...

Why is Ford still using the MTX75? The design is twenty years old, and there's really no reason to NOT have one of the Euro six speeds in there...except to encourage customers to go for the DCT.

Bookmarks & Social Networks