Can I remove the ignition key Tumblers. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
Edgenet
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106043
What I Drive: 2002 Wagon with Zetec, Auto

FF Reputation: 1 Edgenet Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Can I remove the ignition key Tumblers.

Can I remove the ignition key Tumblers and make the ignition key work. The key will not turn the ignition at this point. If I were to remove the ignition assembly and is there a way to simply remove the tumblers and be done with it. I have read on other postings that dealers want around $600++ to replace the assembly.

This is 2002 Ford Focus.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
TerryB
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34559
What I Drive: Red '01 ZX3

Points 5,164, Level 46
Points: 5,164, Level: 46 Points: 5,164, Level: 46 Points: 5,164, Level: 46
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 68 TerryB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I haven't use my tumblers since I replaced my ignition cylinder. It seemed like a PITA to set them. I just left them out. I'm not sure if that would solve the locked up ignition though. I have the updated version. You can replace the cylinder yourself.
http://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-SW6...ition+cylinder
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

Points 13,561, Level 75
Points: 13,561, Level: 75 Points: 13,561, Level: 75 Points: 13,561, Level: 75
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgenet View Post
Can I remove the ignition key Tumblers and make the ignition key work. The key will not turn the ignition at this point. If I were to remove the ignition assembly and is there a way to simply remove the tumblers and be done with it. I have read on other postings that dealers want around $600++ to replace the assembly.

This is 2002 Ford Focus.
$600!?!? now thats highway robbery. Call around to local locksmiths they should be able to sell you a new ignition and key it for you, for around $100 or less.
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums
Old 01-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,546, Level 98
Points: 27,546, Level: 98 Points: 27,546, Level: 98 Points: 27,546, Level: 98
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The ignition lock cylinder is a well known problem on this board.

Here's what I would do if I was in your situation:
First, purchase a new, improved style lock cylinder from your local Ford dealer, or an online Ford parts dealer. The difference between the 2 lock cylinders (so you don't purchase an old faulty lock cylinder on Ebay) is that the key hole is in the center of the lock cylinder on the improved version. The old, busted, style has the key hole off center of the lock cylinder- like the one in your car now. Once you change to the improved style, there will be no more ignition lock cylinder problems. Once you have your new lock cylinder, take it and your other key to a locksmith and have the new lock cylinder keyed to your key. This is important because Ford keys contain an RFID chip that is linked to your ECU. If you don't use that key, then you'll need a Ford dealer to reprogram a new key for your new lock, and that would cost USD$100 or so. Don't make that mistake. Now that you have a new lock cylinder ready to be installed- try the last resort before drilling. Remove the plastic surrounding the console so you can see the base of the lock cylinder. Spray some WD40 in the key hole, insert your key, tap on the end of the key with a screwdriver handle like the key was a nail and you were driving it into the console. Try to turn the key while you are doing this. I would try doing this for about 15 mins. If the key turns- you want the key in the ACC position or "Position I"- if I recall correctly, in order to remove the lock cylinder. Your new lock cylinder should come with directions. If it turns, then all you have to do is press in on the detent that pops out at the base of the lock cylinder and remove the old lock cylinder. Hopefully you can get your key out. Now install your new lock cylinder, replace the plastic, and you're good to go.

If you can't get the key to turn, you must drill out the old lock cylinder in order to remove it. This is why we beg people to replace the old lock cylinder before it locks up. Yes, damage to the steering column is possible if you are not careful and use too much force drilling the lock cylinder out. The shop you use will probably tell you this also, and they will not replace a steering column for free if they screw up. Your car is in jail until you pay what they say you have to pay. Here is how you can drill out the lock cylinder for yourself if you have a drill, are careful, and can follow directions.

Drilling out Lock cylinder after lock-up and replacing

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
tjboston5676
Focus Addict

Fan#: 71200
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue ZX5 SVT

Points 2,167, Level 28
Points: 2,167, Level: 28 Points: 2,167, Level: 28 Points: 2,167, Level: 28
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 3 tjboston5676 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Set it up on a push button start and be just remove the cylinder and be done with it
HATCH NATION #56

2004 Sonic Blue SVT!!! 2.5" orp and flex and trubendz catback, toms tune, steeda sts, custom intake, good ol motocraft copper plugs!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
gondorian
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105695
What I Drive: 2002 wgn (Selling) 2004 2.3 wgn 5sp

Points 1,466, Level 21
Points: 1,466, Level: 21 Points: 1,466, Level: 21 Points: 1,466, Level: 21
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 7 gondorian Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Pounding on the key as whynotthinkwhynot suggested is a good idea but you may want to make a dumb key first to avoid messing up your PATS key.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,546, Level 98
Points: 27,546, Level: 98 Points: 27,546, Level: 98 Points: 27,546, Level: 98
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I don't mean pound--- tap lightly!!

And use Aero-kroil if possible.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:17 AM   #8
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,196, Level 34
Points: 3,196, Level: 34 Points: 3,196, Level: 34 Points: 3,196, Level: 34
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 53%
Activity: 53% Activity: 53% Activity: 53%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If any help, the actual key in the cylinder faces almost straight down into its' slot. Key itself must move UP a slight amount while exerting a small amount of twist on the ignition key. I've lightly hammer tapped and used an engraving tool both to move the key enough to clear the slot.

The way they wear without any warning at all before won't turn on suggests that if you just take patience in hand, you can repeatedly attempt to turn it on, one time in there it can work but may take a hundred times. Do NOT use any force on key, that only makes key lock tighter in keyway to not come out.

I remember sitting outside work one night when mine quit, it took 45 minutes to hit it right..........

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.