changing my spi to zetec - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic Fanatics

Mid Atlantic Fanatics Serving the Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virginia, and Washington DC regions.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-06-2013, 02:30 AM   #1
custer3_5
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109457
What I Drive: 2008 jeep liberty dark blue

FF Reputation: 1 custer3_5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
changing my spi to zetec

I am in the process of looking for a totaled focus. If I can't find one I will probably go to a junk yard for all the things I need. My biggest fear in doing all of this is the wiring. For the people that have done this did you go off of a diagram or did you make one? Any help on this would be great.
And once I get to doing this I will be posting lots of pictures of the process

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 02:48 AM   #2
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296946

A entire parts car is a must, you will need a lot. Make sure the donor car is the same year yours is and pull the entire harness from the engine to the fuel pump. minus the dash harness. Keep in mind the harness forks off just under the passenger door over to the center console for the shifter. You can splice into the spi harness just before that fork. But I would recommend getting the entire harness from the zetec to be on the safe side.

Also be sure if your car is auto get a auto zetec donor car, vise versa if it's a manual. Yes you can swap from a auto spi to a manual zetec, in which case you would need the manual zetec donor car.

The engine itself has a harness, then it connects to a large harness that runs along the fire wall through the passenger side wheel well, then into the fire wall down under the glove box to the ecu. It then continues down to the floor board and runs along the inner rocker panel to up under the back seat then down to the fuel pump.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:03 AM   #3
custer3_5
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

When I splice into the wires do I do it color for color or is there something special that ill have to do? And it's an automatic transmission. So it should be easier to find one. And is there anywhere online that I can find one that's been totaled? I have found a few near me but they said they wanted them to go to junkyards.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:16 AM   #4
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Yes color for color. The harnesses are the same from the shifter back. I have a local yard that sells engines, and parts. I would look around for someone that does the same. I recommend finding some one who does warranties too.

Here is who I used.

http://www.carconnectionohio.com
Old 02-06-2013, 03:22 AM   #5
custer3_5
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

There are a few places a few hours away called pull a part. The only problem with that is that you never know what the cars have or what motors are in them. But you can buy a warranty on most things there.
When I was looking at some online I went to register with the site and they wanted my drivers license number. That's something I really don't like giving out. And if they didn't want that they wanted an annual fee. If I'm only gonna use it once I don't wanna pay that
Old 02-06-2013, 03:29 AM   #6
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Yea I hear yea on that I don't like giving out my personal info either. I have a pick-n-pull near me as well I would agree usually the cars are already picked clean before you get to them.

I would guess your best bet is to find a wrecked or rusted out cheapo on craigslist or or local classifieds. Wouldn't hurt to look on the classified here either. I know there was a sedan 5 speed for sale had a ruff body in michigan for $900 but that was months ago.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:54 AM   #7
custer3_5
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Ok thanks for the heads up. I'd like to pay less than 1000 for either parts or another car to make mine. I've already got too much money tied up in the car as it is. If I do the switch and drive a few years I'd at least feel like I did something right
Old 02-06-2013, 04:11 AM   #8
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

I ended up paying about $1300 all together, but 500 was for the use of a garage. I spend 500 on the engine, harness, ecu, alternator, engine mount, intake tube. The rest was bought new/used.

I already have a few mods, drop, wheels, svt stuff.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:13 AM   #9
custer3_5
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

That's not bad at all. I was thinking about building a shed that I could park it in while I change everything. That way when winter comes around ill have somewhere to park so I don't have to get snow off the car before going to work
Old 02-06-2013, 04:22 AM   #10
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Yea garages are nice, I live in a apartment complex and they shy upon working on the cars but if they are garaged they don't really care. But I had a co-worker that had all the tools and hoist and such to get the job done so I paid to use his garage for a couple weeks.

I was lucky enough to get two garages side by side for both my ranger and focus, my poor mazda has to park out side.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->