GPS and Nav question... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
cwmehring
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105016
What I Drive: 2012 Black Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 cwmehring Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
GPS and Nav question...

I see that there are a few eBay sellers who have GPS and the Nav SD cards for sale. Does anyone know if its possible to add the GPS to my current MFT w/o Nav?

I have a 2012 FF HB Ti with MFT and Sync.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
It's possible, but not just with adding an SD Card. It's purely a software change, but Ford won't do it. The only way it's currently possible is replacing the 3 main units in your car with ones that have previously been provisioned in a car made for Nav.

It should be easily done, but it's not.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
lddavis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104180
What I Drive: 1997 Red Outback

FF Reputation: 2 lddavis Good Standing Member
Do they install and wire the GPS antenna in all the cars, as well as the electronics?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

Points 750, Level 14
Points: 750, Level: 14 Points: 750, Level: 14 Points: 750, Level: 14
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
All the cars with Sync have a GPS receiver and antenna.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
OakvilleFocus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108912
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 OakvilleFocus Good Standing Member
Given the GPS receiver is built into the ARM processor, it would only need an antenna.

I don't see how it would make sense to leave out the antenna, I imagine retooling the assembly line to exclude the functionality would actually cost Ford more then including it. Not to mention lost potential accessory sales in the future.

My guess is its some kind of firmware setting, or they're using some kind of PSK / Key system on the Nav SD cards to enable it. I tried my Edge SD card in my Focus and it did not accept it.

That means there's more to it then a simple SD card.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

All of the hardware is there. It's a few switches in the firmware that need to be set, but they can't be set on the hardware unless they're in a car that can support the features. When the techs connect to set all of the switches it checks the VIN and downloads the switch settings from the Ford database. There's no way to "bypass" this unless you can find a way to alter the firmware yourself.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
danno428cj
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 38992
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium 4dr. Silver

FF Reputation: 1 danno428cj Good Standing Member
I have added NAV to my car. I had a 12 TI with MFT but no NAV. I found a smashed up 12 focus with NAV, took the APIM out (behind the screen) and the nav card. I changed the APIM with the one in my car, slammed the nav card in and bingo, I now have NAV.

Even did the 3.5.1 update on it, put in the new A4 sd card in, not a problem. It only takes 30 minutes to change an APIM max.

The only issue i have is that the doner car had a backup camera, so when in reverse the car show camera error and the screen goes blank. As soon as i go back to drive everything returns to normal.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno428cj View Post
I have added NAV to my car. I had a 12 TI with MFT but no NAV. I found a smashed up 12 focus with NAV, took the APIM out (behind the screen) and the nav card. I changed the APIM with the one in my car, slammed the nav card in and bingo, I now have NAV.

Even did the 3.5.1 update on it, put in the new A4 sd card in, not a problem. It only takes 30 minutes to change an APIM max.

The only issue i have is that the doner car had a backup camera, so when in reverse the car show camera error and the screen goes blank. As soon as i go back to drive everything returns to normal.
Ya, it's easy to switch it all out. So which part, exactly, did you replace? I purchased an APIM through Ford (the all metal-exterior module screwed into the back of the screen) and even had it provisioned in a car that came with Nav (a FF user helped me out) and it still wouldn't provision with Nav.

It just didn't ever install that piece.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
danno428cj
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 38992
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium 4dr. Silver

FF Reputation: 1 danno428cj Good Standing Member
I replaced just the APIM, the metal box on the back of the screen.

If oyu get a new APIM from ford, it must be programed in a vehicle with nav using the proper ford IDS method. Confirm that the NAV works then transplant the part to your vehicle.

It sounds to me that the APIM programing procedures were not followed correctly.

If it was programmed in your car, the NAV will not be active.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno428cj View Post
I replaced just the APIM, the metal box on the back of the screen.

If oyu get a new APIM from ford, it must be programed in a vehicle with nav using the proper ford IDS method. Confirm that the NAV works then transplant the part to your vehicle.

It sounds to me that the APIM programing procedures were not followed correctly.

If it was programmed in your car, the NAV will not be active.
I understand that. I initially had it programmed in my car, which may be where the problem lies, but I also had it re-flashed from scratch in another car (that came factory-equipped with nav) and it still didn't catch.

Maybe the issue is that I flashed it in mine, originally. Too bad. If that's the case, then the Nav APIM module can be purchased for like $700 from Ford (that's what I paid for the module). You'd have to find someone to let you throw it in his/her car to provision at a dealership...but it's like a 20 minute process on each end. Offer to buy them lunch

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.