TPS system gripes - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #11
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrApple View Post
From what I read on the forums here the sensors in the Focus are self learning. This would be backed up with my friend putting SE 16" wheels on his ST, and not having to do anything with the sensors. And he doesn't park near the other set of wheels either.
Not quite, the car can read them and know there are sensors there, but it won't know which corner the sensor is located.

If we had access to the information as to which tire was reporting a low pressure condition like you can see via the IDS machine allegedly according to the service manual it would be extremely useful to know which corner was which. Hence why there is a triggering tool to let the car learn which sensor is at which corner.

This is not necessary if all you want is the idiot light to come on when the tires are low however as yes they do get read by the car regardless of position assuming the initial conditions for sensor engagement are met.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #12
cuke2u
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87358
What I Drive: It's in my sig..

FF Reputation: 2 cuke2u Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benner View Post
No we have that system too. Its an older and less reliable system. Takes more of a psi drop to set the indicator off. And if all the tires slowly leak theres never an indicator.
Hi, I think you are referring to the 1st generation system where ours is more sophisticated than that and I prefer it over a system that has corrosion, they do here, issues and have to be replaced every time a tyre is changed. All we have to do is recalibrate it and its done. And it does detect slow leaks..
18" 5 Spoke Alloy Wheels
Manual 6-speed gearbox,,,
Old 01-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #13
Sal Paradise
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108914
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Sal Paradise Good Standing Member
Can someone school me on this please? I am about to put an old set of volvo rims on my Focus for winter driving. I feel like I have been transported into the future and nothing makes sense. The original wheels will communicate with the car when its parked? What? And learn? Who learns what? There is a wireless sensor inside the original rims? All I know is these old rims definately do not communicate or learn anything. Someone please tell me WTF is going on in terms a simpleton like me can understand? Thanks. I don't want my TP light on all winter.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #14
gsxrboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103574
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 gsxrboy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Can someone school me on this please? I am about to put an old set of volvo rims on my Focus for winter driving. I feel like I have been transported into the future and nothing makes sense. The original wheels will communicate with the car when its parked? What? And learn? Who learns what? There is a wireless sensor inside the original rims? All I know is these old rims definately do not communicate or learn anything. Someone please tell me WTF is going on in terms a simpleton like me can understand? Thanks. I don't want my TP light on all winter.
http://tires.canadiantire.ca/en/info-centre/TPMS/

Why Tire Pressure is Important

Your tire's contact with the road and traction is directly related to its air pressure. Proper tire inflation gives your car optimal handling, reduces tire tread wear, and increases fuel economy. But many vehicles have improperly inflated tires, with under-inflation being the most common problem. 70% of passenger cars and light trucks have at least one under-inflated tire.* This can cause problems:

Under-inflation increases rolling resistance and places additional stress on tire rubber, reducing fuel economy and increasing the risk for tire damage or even a blowout.
Under-inflated tires cause about 250,000 accidents a year, and 75% of roadside flats are caused by a slow leak or under-inflation.
A tire may lose up to half of its inflation before you can visibly see the difference, and 35% of drivers admit they never take the time to check tire pressure. *

TPMS Overview

A Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) is an electronic system for monitoring your vehicle's tire pressure. Most cars manufactured after 2007 already have TPMS installed. Before changing your tires, check with your service advisor to confirm if your car has TPMS installed.

TPMS Types
There are two types of pressure monitoring systems: direct and indirect.

Direct TPMS measures the actual pressure from within the tires, using a pressure sensor with a transmitter. An in-car receiver monitors the pressure, and notifies the driver if the pressure in any tire drops below a set level.

Indirect TPMS monitors tire pressure by using the vehicle's antilock braking system's wheel speed sensors. The system compares the rotation of the tires to one another, and will alert the system if one tire rotates at a different speed than the others. Because the system is indirect, it may trigger more false alerts.

TPMS Maintenance

TPM sensors may require replacement/maintenance for these reasons:

The sensor has been damaged and is no longer reading the psi properly.
The battery on the sensor has died. If the battery is dead the entire sensor must be replaced.

Whether you are looking for a second set or for replacement sensors for your TPMS, Canadian Tire offers an economical solution.

* Study by Rubber Association of Canada.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gsxrboy/focus
Old 01-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #15
Sal Paradise
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108914
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Sal Paradise Good Standing Member
So - and I realize this sounds ridiculous but if I don't put sensors in then how far can I drive before the car registers a low tire pressure fault? Or will it?

I guess according to the OP it brings up a light after 20 miles. I already have snow tires on the winter rims and didn't want to pay to demount and remount but its not a big deal.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #16
gsxrboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103574
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 gsxrboy Good Standing Member
Same here, I installed winters without TPMS and every day I get a system warning, I press OK and I am good to go. It doesn't bother me having the warning come up, I knew when I purchased my winters that this was going to happen.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gsxrboy/focus
Old 01-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #17
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

Fan#: 50003
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It took my car 5 days and about 60 miles to register the TPMS fault... Then while transporting my stockers in the hatch it resaw them in a matter of minutes
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Old 01-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #18
jeff_nc
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 106534
What I Drive: 2013 performance blue titanium

FF Reputation: 1 jeff_nc Good Standing Member
OP here. Thanks for all the replies. Could someone please explain what "training" or "recalibrating" the sensors means. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #19
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

Fan#: 50003
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You've got to get a tool or take your car in. You basically are telling the TPMS sensors they belong to the car and vice versa.
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Old 01-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #20
jeff_nc
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 106534
What I Drive: 2013 performance blue titanium

FF Reputation: 1 jeff_nc Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_HedgeHog View Post
You've got to get a tool or take your car in. You basically are telling the TPMS sensors they belong to the car and vice versa.
Is this something my Ford dealership will do? And will it change the behavior of waiting 20 miles before sounding the alarm?

Bookmarks & Social Networks