To all the Ti to ST converters... - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #21
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
ST (or any Focus) is not about 1/4 miles, isn't that what Mustang like cars are for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #22
mustang0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96079
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy SE HB Sport Package

FF Reputation: 1 mustang0 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
The primary difference between the 2012 SE i now own and a ST would be speeding tickets, license points lost, and lawyers once my points were going to cause me to loose my driving license.

I had all that when I drove my Contour SVT....
Now I drive a sensible car and try hard to get good MPGs and drive the speed limit..
Unlike when I owned the SVT Contour and usually drove twenty over the speed limit with plenty of jumps up over 120... Just touch the gas and I would be going twenty faster...
The SVT Contour was a lot of fun...
I bet the ST is too... I am getting to old to be fooling around.
Don't say that because that's what keeps us young. Gotta play even if it's just a little.
65 Racestang 96 Mustang 2012 Focus SE HB Sport Pac 5 speed man. NewMission Cold Air, lunchbox Delete,Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust, Steeda Rear Sway Bar, Steeda STS,Axis wheels, Blox shift knob,Focus elecrtic RMM, Injected 93 Tune V1 176HP 152Torque
Old 01-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #23
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
Actually just general accleration is increased alot and the tourque curve has changed under boost. Like I said it's personality and you don't seem to fit the ST's target buyer if you think like that.
It depends on your driving style. Acceleration is greater only when your right foot gets heavy. I believe a lot of people would/could accelerate much faster than they do (on average) if gasoline was cheaper.

With any turbo car that I've owned, it wouldn't be unusual for me to drive from my home to my office (surface streets and freeways) without seeing any boost at all. In general, I wouldn't drive a Ti or ST much differently most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
It's also more than HP since there's handling and braking to be considered.
Yes, handling/good balance is the strong point of the ST. That almost never seems to be mentioned.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #24
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaFan View Post
ST (or any Focus) is not about 1/4 miles, isn't that what Mustang like cars are for?
Thank you.

Unforunately, I believe most Americans miss the point of the ST completely.
Ford (in the U.S.) recognizes that and thus markets the ST to young (inexperienced) drivers who care primarily about straight line performance.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #25
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
No,it's not about 1/4 mile times but it is a nice equal test you can compare cars based on power but the ST is more about handling but still needs a proper LSD to improve that.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #26
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

FF Reputation: 2 cbdallas Good Standing Member
This discussion really takes me back to when Road & Track first featured the SVO Mustang. I'll never forget reading that the SVO wasn't about stoplight brawls, it was about the driving experience. They referred to it as much more a 'driver's car' than the 5.0. and if you're looking to kill everyone at every intersection, you'd be missing the point of the car.

I think the ST came from the same minds. It's quick, but there's more to it than beating everyone else to the next stoplight.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #27
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Fan#: 102775
What I Drive: 12' Tuxedo Black SE, 08' ZZR-600

FF Reputation: 2 F35-JSF Good Standing Member
I'm more apt to use maximum acceleration then maximum handling on the street. I've seen to many crashes involving drivers that lost control, over corrected and boom. A pothole or a little gravel (or that one person that likes pulling out into traffic as I round the bend)can turn that hero cornering maneuver into a catastrophe in no time.
:lol:Modding is whatever you define it as. Some people wanna boost, some people need 10 TVs, and some of these homos feel compelled to LED their cars front to back.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #28
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
This discussion really takes me back to when Road & Track first featured the SVO Mustang. I'll never forget reading that the SVO wasn't about stoplight brawls, it was about the driving experience. They referred to it as much more a 'driver's car' than the 5.0. and if you're looking to kill everyone at every intersection, you'd be missing the point of the car.

I think the ST came from the same minds. It's quick, but there's more to it than beating everyone else to the next stoplight.
I believe Ford's goal was to build a better GTI. Car mags love the GTI not for the numbers but for the balance and the way it "feels".

I almost bought a SVO in '84 but I didn't like the dealer markup. I ended up buying a GT Turbo and (thanks to my buddy in the parts dept.) getting a lot of SVO parts for a good price.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #29
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

FF Reputation: 2 cbdallas Good Standing Member
I was 14 when the SVO hit, so you can imagine the dreams I had about turning 16. I SO wanted that to be my first car. Loved it so much better than the GT, although the '84 GT Turbo was pretty interesting too. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a '79 Pace Car either.

I went to high school with a guy that had a turbo hatchback ('81? ..not sure) that wasn't a GT. It was black and had the huge cobra emblem on the hood, along with the fake scoop, "Cobra" on the trailing edges of the doors, but no spoiler or air dam. He was always leaving rubber in the high school parking lot with it. Turbo Cobra? Never really asked, but a fun car. http://www.shnack.com/history/1981/
Old 01-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #30
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
I have had a turbo 4cyl compact as a commuter car continuously since 1985. The ST replaces a 03 PT Cruiser GT turbo.

I enjoy the combination of performance and economy a car like this provides. The ST is an effortless car to drive, the torque is available from idle to redline, it is very quiet, smooth and the handling is confidence inspiring. The best feature over the PT it replaces is how well it deals with rough pavement. So far I have been averaging 28.5 to 29.5 mpg on my 48 mile round trip commute (on suburban roads) and have gotten as high as 32.2 by being as conservative as possible.

My wife has a 12 SEL Focus that we purchased in June 11. Most of what I like about the ST I like about the SEL, it's just the SEL just is not as entertaining to drive because of the power. The price of the ST1 I have was only a few hundred more than the SEL and the only option I miss from the SEL is the dual zone temp control. The difference in economy is about 5-6 mpg which is I consider a fair trade for the performance.

Bookmarks & Social Networks