2012 SE scraping noise - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
Auditory
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107610
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Auditory Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 SE scraping noise

Hello all.
First off I want to say this forum has been great and very helpful!

Ive been reading a lot on this forum since I bought my focus in Dec 12. Wish I had done a lot more research before signing away. It is a 2012 SE with 29k miles that was used as a rental car. Now I have about 31,5xx.

None of the issues with the shuddering or any of the other stuff showed up during the test drive other wise I probably wouldn't have gotten it.

I have an appointment next week to bring my car in to have it looked at under the warranty. I get the shuddering after the car has been running up to temp. It almost feels like the wheels are spinning and trying to regain traction or when you drive a manual and the car is about to stall with gears 1-2. There is also another thing happening to which I did some research and I couldn't find anything on the site. This doesn't happen all the time but when the car is up to temp it happens while driving but more so while going up an incline, after the car has shifted into 1-2-3 (while engaged in the gear) there is like a scraping noise. Almost like the front of the car is scraping the gravel but that's not the case. It only last maybe a second or two each time then it goes away.

Any idea of what this could be?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditory View Post
I have an appointment next week to bring my car in to have it looked at under the warranty. I get the shuddering after the car has been running up to temp. It almost feels like the wheels are spinning and trying to regain traction or when you drive a manual and the car is about to stall with gears 1-2. There is also another thing happening to which I did some research and I couldn't find anything on the site. This doesn't happen all the time but when the car is up to temp it happens while driving but more so while going up an incline, after the car has shifted into 1-2-3 (while engaged in the gear) there is like a scraping noise. Almost like the front of the car is scraping the gravel but that's not the case. It only last maybe a second or two each time then it goes away.

Any idea of what this could be?
Well, I see this is your first post, which means you searching for "scraping" wouldn't have gotten many results, but there are multiple threads with the description of "grinding." Chances are you have a bad clutch caused by an oil leak or a bearing binding. Take it in for warranty, and pray they don't say "It's normal."

EDIT: The noise has also been compared to dragging a metal trash can lid behind your car.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
Auditory
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Well, I see this is your first post, which means you searching for "scraping" wouldn't have gotten many results, but there are multiple threads with the description of "grinding." Chances are you have a bad clutch caused by an oil leak or a bearing binding. Take it in for warranty, and pray they don't say "It's normal."
I should have tried that too. Thanks! Does the grinding normally happen for you while its shifting or once the gear is engaged and how long?

I also forgot to add this. I have these stickers on the drivers side and I am not sure if any of them mean it was already brought in for this issue or not?

Old 01-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
I should have tried that too. Thanks! Does the grinding normally happen for you while its shifting or once the gear is engaged and how long?

I also forgot to add this. I have these stickers on the drivers side and I am not sure if any of them mean it was already brought in for this issue or not?
Most people with the grinding issues had their problems resolved by going to the dealer and having the clutch replaced. For those with a leaking seal, this seemed to have fixed the issue. Several users have had the issue return even after the replacement seals and clutch kit. I have only heard of one owner so far whose dealer fixed an issue with this same noise caused by a bound bearing resulting in excessive heat that eventually damaged the clutch.

At that many miles, the clutch is by all means broken in, so the noises you hear are not normal. But I can’t really attest to that because my dealers have turned me away more than 5 times saying the noise and vibrations when accelerating are “normal.” It used to just make the noise while shifting, but now it will continue to slip while driving up a hill.

As for those stickers, you’re up-to-date when it comes to recalls.

12-1-4: 2.0L GDI AND MANUAL TRANSMISSION - CALIBRATION UPDATE - VARIOUS DRIVEABILITY IMPROVEMENTS - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 2/29/2012.
Some 2012 Focus vehicles equipped with a 2.0L gasoline direct injection (GDI) engine, manual transmission and built on or before 2/29/2012 may exhibit diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) U0422, P00D2, P068A, P0850, P2610, P2832, P286F, P2877, P00C6, P0607, P0457 and/or P06B8 and may be accompanied by engine driveability concerns. Refer to the calibration content for additional calibration details.

12S29: SAFETY RECALL 12S29 - PASSENGER SIDE WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTOR ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR INSPECTION AND REPAIR
In some of the affected vehicles, a seal plug on the passenger side windshield wiper motor electrical connector may be missing, allowing water into the electrical connection of the motor and potentially resulting in an inoperative wiper motor. The seal plug condition only affects the passenger side motor. Any wiper motor electrical connector that has a missing seal plug may cause the wiper motor to become inoperative and increase the risk of a crash.

12B37: CUSTOMER SATISFACTION PROGRAM 12B37 - REPROGRAM THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM), TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE (TCM), AND THE ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) MODULE
In some of the affected vehicles, the customer may experience rough or jerky automatic transmission shifts. In addition, the vehicle may experience roll back when the driver is transitioning from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal while on a slight incline.

tl;dr
Judging from the fact that you had the 12-1-4 TSB applied (not a recall), I'm willing to bet the car has had drive train issues for a while... bastards. Take it in under warranty and don't let them tell you it's normal. If you have an oil leak under your car where the bell housing is, you've found your culprit and need to request TSB 11-12-13. If you don't have the oil leak, you can take it in - but may God have mercy on your soul.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:

FSA 12S29 was for the Passenger Side Windshield Wiper Motor Electrical Connector Inspection and Repair.

TSB 12B37 is the latest DCT programming update released so far for 2012 MY cars.

TSB 12-1-4 was an earlier DCT update/ vehicle calibration update.

So far none of the indicated Technical service bulletins or Field Service actions indicate that the clutches had been replaced per that door jamb photo.

11-12-13 was not performed according to the stickers, and that was the input shaft seal/ clutch replacement TSB.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
Auditory
Focus Rookie

Thank you both for the information! PratoN, i dont notice a oil leak anywhere or see any oil sitting where i park my car. I just want this to get taken care of before it hits the 36k mile mark and the warranty goes out and have them say too bad. Would this issue wualify under the 60k powertrain if if my inital one goes out? I also have a third party warranty through zurich. Did ford give you a loaner car while it was in the shop? My dealer told me they dont do loaner cars. Its scary that they are saying this is "normal". I paid for a car that should be working properly and not having all these issues.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Thank you both for the information! PratoN, i dont notice a oil leak anywhere or see any oil sitting where i park my car. I just want this to get taken care of before it hits the 36k mile mark and the warranty goes out and have them say too bad. Would this issue wualify under the 60k powertrain if if my inital one goes out? I also have a third party warranty through zurich. Did ford give you a loaner car while it was in the shop? My dealer told me they dont do loaner cars. Its scary that they are saying this is "normal". I paid for a car that should be working properly and not having all these issues.
If that's the issue you have, there is an aero shield under the car that would catch any leaking transmission fluid (it's not actually engine oil).

It would be covered under the 60k power train warranty, but if you take it in and they don't find an issue, they'll probably charge you. So take it in before 36k.

Personally, dealers are hit-or-miss with rentals - and I've had more "miss" than anything - Though my ESP says I should get first day rental.

And yes, we all paid for a working car.

EDIT: Sorry if I sound cold and dead inside.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
Auditory
Focus Rookie

Quote:
If that's the issue you have, there is an aero shield under the car that would catch any leaking transmission fluid (it's not actually engine oil).

It would be covered under the 60k power train warranty, but if you take it in and they don't find an issue, they'll probably charge you. So take it in before 36k.

Personally, dealers are hit-or-miss with rentals - and I've had more "miss" than anything - Though my ESP says I should get first day rental.

And yes, we all paid for a working car.

EDIT: Sorry if I sound cold and dead inside.
Ah I see. Thanks for the information. I guess we will see what happens next monday when I bring it in. Hopefully something gets taken care of and not just turned away and told its normal.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
AngelicPyro
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108868
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 AngelicPyro Good Standing Member
I also have this issue... The shuddering/shaking and the grinding both happen to me. I dont know why.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #10
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
...I guess we will see what happens next monday when I bring it in...
Auditory,

I sent you another PM; please see your inbox for my reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicPyro View Post
I also have this issue... The shuddering/shaking and the grinding both happen to me. I dont know why.
Iím able to escalate this to your regional customer service manager, AngelicPyro. So I can do this, shoot a PM with your phone number, mileage, full name, dealer name/state, and VIN.

Quote:
...It used to just make the noise while shifting, but now it will continue to slip while driving up a hill...
PratoN,

I want to get you back in contact with your CSM. Please PM me when itís a good time they can call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
...So far none of the indicated Technical service bulletins or Field Service actions indicate that the clutches had been replaced per that door jamb photo...
Itís great to see how much you help, suss6052; thanks for being a huge part of the community.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford

Bookmarks & Social Networks