Oxygen Sensors, OL faults, and crazy volts - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #11
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Someone doesn't know how to wire up O2 sensors, or have any basic understanding of how electrical circuits work- assuming all 3 wires were twisted together.

If you have to purchase new O2 sensors, pay the extra like $10 for an OEM. In fact, check with Village Ford, one of our vendors, and see what his price is on Motorcraft sensors for your car. It might be cheaper than you think. Supposedly we get employee discounts through them. We have had more than a few people blame problems on Bosch O2 sensors.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #12
SanduskySerpents
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78065
What I Drive: 02 Silver Focus SE

FF Reputation: 4 SanduskySerpents Good Standing Member
so rewired installed harness and new o2 and it didn't change anything....still going into open loop fault after warm up. above 1100 rpms the engine sounds fine but below that it sounds like its dieseling.....putter putter...similar to a misfire but its not???.....almost like its out of time but i dont think that a higher rpm would fix that if it was a timing issue....i cant get this thing to throw a code for the life of me either....i can drive it it just cant idle!!!!!

also it started in OL as expected....warmed up a bit switched to CL and then bottomed out the O2 sensor readings and switched to OL FAULT....so they are working the PCM just switched to OL Fault and i dont know why.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:47 PM   #13
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 21 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sure you don't have vacuum leak? Will start up fine cold and warm up until going to CL then when O2 doesn't switch the system shows fault. Motor goes to crap at that point. Upstream will show like .1 volt and no switching, stuck on low volts.........I've have them run for a good while (week plus) and never post a light doing that. Will run fine at higher than idle speeds since the leak affects less there.

On both of mine the PCV entry point at manifold was cracked open.

My cars read 18-19% TPS at idle running normally.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #14
SanduskySerpents
Focus Enthusiast

already did the PCV vacuum hose last year and checked it again while running....sprayed carb and choke cleaner around no spikes..... unplug IACV instant death....unplug MAF instant death....

if it had a vacuum leak wouldn't still go into CL???
Old 01-20-2013, 11:58 PM   #15
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Memberjetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
How are you sure its in open loop? Do you have a scantool with the ability to tell you so?

If it is going into open loop and staying there it will be ignoring the O2 sensors completely and running purely off predetermined tables. This is what you must find out. I still think you need to verify your powers and grounds to the ECU.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:10 AM   #16
SanduskySerpents
Focus Enthusiast

You must not have read the previous posts.....yes i do....its a snap on ethos....its not that the sensors arent working it just stays in OPEN LOOP, FAULT..... if i reset the pcm and run the car i can get it into CL....it just switches once it idles for a minute.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:14 AM   #17
SanduskySerpents
Focus Enthusiast

also if the main ground for ECU isn't connected it you cant start the engine...since the ECU is a series of signal and ground wires what you are suggesting is that i back probe ever single wire to the ECU? there's about 104 wires in that thing....thought i did check the power distribution box...all fine.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #18
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Memberjetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Just trying to help...

The fact that the car isn't setting any codes and running so poorly gives me the gut feeling that something is wrong with the ECU or one of the power or ground feeds to it. The ECU will have several powers and grounds, not just one. It is not in a series circuit.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #19
SanduskySerpents
Focus Enthusiast

I know it's not a series circuit, just a a turn of phrase. I think I have it solved not sure yet. Update in a few
Old 01-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #20
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Did you ever check the o2 fuses ? You wouldnt have a bad ECU for these issues and it doesnt surprise me your not getting any codes for this , check the o2 fuses

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus

Bookmarks & Social Networks