My DCT stalled out while driving today...*MK3* - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-21-2013, 05:06 AM   #11
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You can't (or shouldn't be able to) start the engine while the gear selector is in anything but P or N. I tried...

Also, the key is unable to put in the "off" position while in anything but park.

In my car, at least...
Hatch Nation #29
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 05:10 AM   #12
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
that also is something I couldn't figure out. If it's in the off position, the steering wheel could have locked.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 01-21-2013, 05:23 AM   #13
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Then it's an ignition switch interlock problem. She should still be able to turn the car off while in D, like in a parking lot, and then restart in D- according to the details in her story. I didn't know you couldn't turn a car off while it was in D. I've never tried that before. I figured you could turn it off, but not restart it without being in N.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:25 AM   #14
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
Then it's an ignition switch interlock problem. She should still be able to turn the car off while in D, like in a parking lot, and then restart in D- according to the details in her story. I didn't know you couldn't turn a car off while it was in D. I've never tried that before. I figured you could turn it off, but not restart it without being in N.
You can kill the engine, but the key will not physically turn all the way to off, and allow you to remove the key. And you certainly can't restart the engine, at least not in mine. It'll kill the electronics as if it were to start (kills headlights, radio, etc.), but it won't actually start (or attempt to start).
Hatch Nation #29
Old 01-21-2013, 05:45 AM   #15
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Yeah that's how I thought it should act. The ignition switch is what is causing all the electronics to switch off- it switches everything else is off so the starter can use all the power in the battery to start. It's not starting because of some of the interlocks on the starter relay, if it's like the older Focis. On an AT you'd have PATS, and the neutral safety switch. If that circuit is bypassed by damaged wiring, that could make her car easy-steal.

The key itself should be prevented from turning backwards in the ON position by the ignition lock cylinder. I believe you still have to push the key in slightly before you can turn it back off. I do it so much, I don't even think about it, so I could be wrong. Ford has always had some sort of ignition cylinder lock safety since the oldest Ford I've owned which was an '87. I want to say you can turn it to ACC though, and the engine will shut off, so not being able to turn the engine off while driving would be new. Then again, 100% of all the Fords I have driven regularly have been MTs. I'd have to try something like that on the wifey's Windstar to be fair.

With the MT it's no big deal to cut off in gear and restart, all you have to do is press the clutch, or let off the clutch and turn the key back on in an appropriate gear.

Quote:
Old 01-21-2013, 06:45 AM   #16
badazz2010focus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78166
What I Drive: 2010 ingot silver 2 dr 5 speed

FF Reputation: 7 badazz2010focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You can turn the car off in any of the gears doesnt matter what but you cant re start the car in gear it has to be in netural or park I've done it before LOL
Old 01-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #17
mishka
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107408
What I Drive: 13' TB SE Sport Sedan DCT 201A pack

FF Reputation: 1 mishka Good Standing Member
hey guys thanks for the response and discussion so far. looks like there is still some confusion/debate as the the problem. I thought i'd share what the dash looked like when the engine turned off. The only difference is it was in D at the time. It's in N in the picture. I haven't tried doing that in D while parked or otherwise yet. Looks like I/another DCT need to try some of your theories and see what works?

dash at time of cut off

key position at time of engine cut off
(rotate the picture clockwise)

I don't really know anything about parts or anything so I just have to go by you guys, a couple friends, and... yeah. So thanks!

PS: I know someone said they think it's an isolated incident, but wouldn't it be a good idea to report this to Ford or a Ford Rep?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #18
mishka
Focus Addict

@whynotthinkwhynot - I'm a he!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #19
mishka
Focus Addict

also I was just reading this thread and came upon something:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomenter View Post
ford customer service sent this electronic letter... Trailer-hitching feel. Some customers may experience a trailer-hitching feel (or a slight
bumping feel). ... If the vehicle loses electrical power due to the removal of a power or ground battery cable, or the battery discharges, the transmission will perform an initial system status check upon power restore to verify shift motor position. This results in a series of mechanical noises for 10-30 seconds. The transmission will not engage and the vehicle will not move while this is happening. This is normal after an electrical power loss to the transmission.
Is it possible my transmission "lost power"? thx.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #20
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

If you can't get the car to shut off while in drive, then you're going to have problems getting a dealer to do anything. They can't fix what can't be re-created.

It could just have been an isolated incident- maybe not happen again. If it is what I thought, something is wrong with the ignition lock cylinder or ignition switch, then you should be able to recreate it.

If the transmission lost power, it would probably just go into N or stay in whatever gear it was in.

Sorry about the gender mix up.

Quote:

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->