Ford Focus rear wiper problem - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-18-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
FordLord
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 73757
What I Drive: 1999, Panther black Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 FordLord Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ford Focus rear wiper problem

Hi, I have 1999 Ford Focus Zetec 2.0, the rear wiper works but it does not complete a cycle and does not return to the parked position, when the wiper and wash is on the wiper seems to work for longer but does not return to parked position properly what could it be? You can hear the relay switch in and switch out but its doing this too quickly and not returning wiper arm to the parked position, I have used a test screwdriver and checked for power on the electrical connector when the relay makes contact and it lights but not long enough for a full cycle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010, 12:25 AM   #2
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

Points 2,050, Level 27
Points: 2,050, Level: 27 Points: 2,050, Level: 27 Points: 2,050, Level: 27
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 88 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Check for electrical shorts in the wiring harness where the harness enters the hatch from the body, in the upper "door sill" between the hatch hinges. Opening and closing the hatch over time flexes the harness and causes chafing and shorts. Intermittent problems with the high mounted brake light, rear wiper, electric hatch release and license plate lights can often be traced to broken wires at this location.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
FordLord
Focus Rookie

How do I go about doing this and is it relativly easy to check? Could it be the relay or something that times the wiper motor operation, I a newbie on car electrics :)
Old 03-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
Peregrine
I.S.A.I.K.I.

Fan#: 6009
What I Drive: '03 CD Silver SVT, '11 Mazda CX-9

FF Reputation: 112 Peregrine Excellent Standing Member Peregrine Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
More than likely, it's just a bad relay. A damaged wire would affect ALL operation not just the PARK feature.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:47 AM   #5
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 10,880, Level 69
Points: 10,880, Level: 69 Points: 10,880, Level: 69 Points: 10,880, Level: 69
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 72 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Posted via FF MobileSorry to say, but it`s your wiper motor. The switch that parks it is part of the motor assembly. You can use it as is as long as it lasts, or if you`re replacing it try opening up your old one first. once in a while you can clean @ lube themz if not already burnt to a crisp at the contacts. Hey - it`sbroke alreadyz you can`t make it too much worse (grin) and you`ll learn how they work
Old 03-20-2010, 01:03 AM   #6
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 10,880, Level 69
Points: 10,880, Level: 69 Points: 10,880, Level: 69 Points: 10,880, Level: 69
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 72 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Posted via FF MobileTo clarify a bit, 2 power sources to the motor, one turns it on, and one provides power to let it run until it reaches the park position. (typical basic wiring) A rotor with contacts has a circle with a space in it for the park position - that`s how it knows where it is... That`s why if you turn the key off the wiper stops, then parks itself when you turn the key on. Burnt or slimed contact - no power to park. (just make sure the motor gets proper power first- ground, switch hot, & constant hot should be there) Note: generic info. I don`t have your wiring diagram..... But basic how it works should help...
Old 03-21-2010, 09:37 PM   #7
jrn146
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 275
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red SE 5 door 5 speed

Points 153, Level 3
Points: 153, Level: 3 Points: 153, Level: 3 Points: 153, Level: 3
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 jrn146 Good Standing Member
A broken wire in the harness will most definitely cause what he's describing. I have had this problem and thought it was the wiper motor but found a few broken wires and the rest of them (there's 7 or 8) chafed. Just open the hatch and you'll see a rubber boot. Pull either end of the boot free and inspect the wires. If you do a search you'll find a few pictures that have been posted of chafed wires. The wire harness if part of the whole car harness and was almost $300.00 when I priced it but if you're good with a soldering gun you can get a roll of wire and fix it pretty easy.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:08 PM   #8
SVTF200487
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53987
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver SVT

Points 2,134, Level 27
Points: 2,134, Level: 27 Points: 2,134, Level: 27 Points: 2,134, Level: 27
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 23 SVTF200487 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Try something simple, switch the front wiper relay with the rear. Both the foci i've had did something similar. That the rear wiper would not return to the park position. Once I swaped the relays both the rear and front works fine.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
Peregrine
I.S.A.I.K.I.

Fan#: 6009
What I Drive: '03 CD Silver SVT, '11 Mazda CX-9

FF Reputation: 112 Peregrine Excellent Standing Member Peregrine Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Posted via FF MobileSorry to say, but it`s your wiper motor. The switch that parks it is part of the motor assembly. You can use it as is as long as it lasts, or if you`re replacing it try opening up your old one first. once in a while you can clean @ lube themz if not already burnt to a crisp at the contacts. Hey - it`sbroke alreadyz you can`t make it too much worse (grin) and you`ll learn how they work

If the wiper doesn't go back down to its starting point before the next pass, how do you conclude that it's the motor? The relay is what controls the park feature....
Old 04-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #10
FordLord
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_ZX3 View Post
Check for electrical shorts in the wiring harness where the harness enters the hatch from the body, in the upper "door sill" between the hatch hinges. Opening and closing the hatch over time flexes the harness and causes chafing and shorts. Intermittent problems with the high mounted brake light, rear wiper, electric hatch release and license plate lights can often be traced to broken wires at this location.
Yes, I found a chafed wire (the one that feeds the wiper motor), pulled it and it came apart in my hand, also found a couple of earth wires that were broken, easily fixed though and all works ok now. Thank you to Bc ZX3 and Jrn 146, saved some money there

If anyone else is having the same problems as I had take the advice from Bc ZX3 and Jrn 146 and look at the wiring at the top of the boot hatch first

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.