Anyone use this type of exhaust pipe coupler/clamp? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-22-2013, 03:59 AM   #11
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Manufacturers often say nothing else needed, so what? Many times they are also full of crap I've found. I don't hesitate to work around their instruction if I see the need.

Antisieze virtually has no more body than that drop of oil, it will also leak no more. Haven't seen one do it yet. It is designed to squeeze out to not make a buffer. If the connection slips then crap connector as I have already alluded to by looking at the design. You yourself say good luck trying to pull pipe out of one so it shouldn't be a problem.

I've got 3 universal stainless cats installed in steel tube exhaust pipe with antisieze and no trouble. Tube in a tube installation, no flanges. Never retightened them once, been running for years. Not manifold type but undercar cats where entire exhaust pipe weight hangs on them along with front/rear engine movement since no flexjoint used in system.

I used to build heat exchangers 6 inches long up to 40 foot long for battleships and nuclear reactors using 100% stainless construction so I kinda know what it will do and not do.........there were specific steps to take coating sealing joints there if carbon steel used instead of stainless to connect pipes up to the stainless unit.

The corrosion of steel onto the stainless will still have a tendency to stick it after years of service. I've seen stainless to regular steel connections that were stuck together almost as bad as steel to steel to where some destruction of parts had to occur to separate them. The steel almost welds itself to the stainless.........

Now if you commonly take the joint apart, fine. But if you put it together with years in mind before it comes back apart? What you'll find is that even with antisieze on it there can be trouble getting it apart. It DOES lower the effort to do so though, where it shines best. Since starting to use it, I've never had to destroy or deform an antisiezed connection to disassemble it, and that's the way I like it. I use it on all exhaust pipe work and have never had any trouble with any loosening parts ever. Nuts and bolts come loose easy too even if they look totally corroded, they don't break their studs. Nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #12
coldbear
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78292
What I Drive: 2001 Burgandy ZXT

FF Reputation: 1 coldbear Good Standing Member
These clamps are great for dropping exhaust systems quickly. I wouldn't want to run them full time. At the dragstrip, see many dropping systems in seconds. Cool idea for the needy.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #13
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: 13 stang

FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbear View Post
These clamps are great for dropping exhaust systems quickly. I wouldn't want to run them full time. At the dragstrip, see many dropping systems in seconds. Cool idea for the needy.
would depend which ones are used. there are different lengths.
Haven't looked under any newer cars lately have you?
Funny how many cars are running around on the hiways not dropping exhausts isn't it? Almost every manufacturer uses these or flange w/v-band since going to stainless exhaust.
I've never seen one come apart at the strip, and I spend alot of time at different tracks with different forms of racing.

Hell, semi's have been using these for years
Old 01-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #14
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: 13 stang

FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
Manufacturers often say nothing else needed, so what? Many times they are also full of crap I've found. I don't hesitate to work around their instruction if I see the need.

Antisieze virtually has no more body than that drop of oil, it will also leak no more. Haven't seen one do it yet. It is designed to squeeze out to not make a buffer. If the connection slips then crap connector as I have already alluded to by looking at the design. You yourself say good luck trying to pull pipe out of one so it shouldn't be a problem.

I've got 3 universal stainless cats installed in steel tube exhaust pipe with antisieze and no trouble. Tube in a tube installation, no flanges. Never retightened them once, been running for years. Not manifold type but undercar cats where entire exhaust pipe weight hangs on them along with front/rear engine movement since no flexjoint used in system.

I used to build heat exchangers 6 inches long up to 40 foot long for battleships and nuclear reactors using 100% stainless construction so I kinda know what it will do and not do.........there were specific steps to take coating sealing joints there if carbon steel used instead of stainless to connect pipes up to the stainless unit.

The corrosion of steel onto the stainless will still have a tendency to stick it after years of service. I've seen stainless to regular steel connections that were stuck together almost as bad as steel to steel to where some destruction of parts had to occur to separate them. The steel almost welds itself to the stainless.........

Now if you commonly take the joint apart, fine. But if you put it together with years in mind before it comes back apart? What you'll find is that even with antisieze on it there can be trouble getting it apart. It DOES lower the effort to do so though, where it shines best. Since starting to use it, I've never had to destroy or deform an antisiezed connection to disassemble it, and that's the way I like it. I use it on all exhaust pipe work and have never had any trouble with any loosening parts ever. Nuts and bolts come loose easy too even if they look totally corroded, they don't break their studs. Nice.
Anyone ever tell you you sound like a damn infomercial... I'll leave you to your little world of anti sieze.
Keep preaching to the choir, you bored the congregation.
Threads all yours, have at er.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #15
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Well thank you...................sorry if what I say so offends you. No insult meant or intended of course................

Infomercial.............................LOL--at me of course. Sometimes I am such an idiot.

A bored congregation often finds itself at the entry to the devil's workshop............or so they say...........

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->