What the hell... 2005 focus zxw - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
dieselkiller
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 93128
What I Drive: 2005 zxw white

FF Reputation: 1 dieselkiller Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What the hell... 2005 focus zxw

Ok so ive figured for a while that i needed a right rear brake bulb since i was getting the quick blinker. Now that i got off by butt to replace it i noticed that when the brakes are on the reverse lights on both sides come on and the left brake light is bright but the right dims. the only other bulb i have out is the left front side marker. could that lone bulb on the LEFT cause issues on the right? if not..... what the hell?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
dieselkiller
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

oh and when the blinker is on the right the dim brake bulb and reverse bulb alternate blinking along with the left reverse light..... ya, what the hell. reverse lights DO come on when in reverse. I live in TX and they do inspections so I have to get this fixed by end of Feb.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 22 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Check the wiring on the inside where it passes through the hatch(tailgate).

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 01-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
dieselkiller
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

wow, i figured if it was that it would be blowing a fuse like in my cherokee. i will check it out. any other suggestions if its not that? also, side note; the bulb section is wrong for the 05-07 hatch, 4057 is the correct bulb for the brakes, it shows 3157.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselkiller View Post
wow, i figured if it was that it would be blowing a fuse like in my cherokee. i will check it out. any other suggestions if its not that? also, side note; the bulb section is wrong for the 05-07 hatch, 4057 is the correct bulb for the brakes, it shows 3157.
Pretty sure those are both almost identical bulbs, both should be dual filament, same size/output. Google 4057 and 3157, they seem to be pretty much the go to brake light bulb for mustangs and f150s and they use them interchangeably too.

I always make it a habit of replacing lights in pairs, especially since they are usually sold that way. Figure if one goes out, the other should be headed that way too. Also, dont have to deal with one being brighter than the other (although shouldnt be an issue with brake lights)

I'd check the wiring, just to make sure no bare wires are exposed or the shielding isnt cracked on them.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
dieselkiller
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Just checked the wiring in the boot at the hatch, it's clean. Nothing even dirty. What would be the next item to check?
Old 01-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselkiller View Post
Just checked the wiring in the boot at the hatch, it's clean. Nothing even dirty. What would be the next item to check?
Were you getting the quick blinker with both turn signals then? You had a right rear brake light out and then front left side marker?

Did you replace that left front side blinker? Has the quick/hyper blinking stopped?
Old 01-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
dieselkiller
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

No, quick blink with right only. That's why I'm almost dismissing the left side marker as a cause. Symptoms again: quick blink on right with turn and reverse alternating blinks(reverse on on left side while right signal on), and reverse lights on dim when braking with very dim right brake light. Can't imagine a left marker would cause all this. Have not climbed underneath to change market yet.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
fhh02a
HATCH NATION

Fan#: 57548
What I Drive: 2004, Pitch Black Zx3

FF Reputation: 13 fhh02a Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
moving this to technical area
[COLOR="Red"]HATCH NATION..#01[/COLOR]
[URL="http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30"][COLOR="Black"]B-S-T[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12"][COLOR="Red"]SOUTHERN FANATICS [/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33"][COLOR="Black"]GEN CHAT[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45"][COLOR="Red"]MK1[/COLOR][/URL]
Old 01-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #10
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Thinking out out loud here, may be way off base:

If the ground wire attachment for the tail lamps (on one side) has detached from the chassis, the brake light circuit may be finding ground through the light bulb(s) and circuit for the other lamps at that corner.

All the bulbs at one corner share a ground point.
If that ground is not connected, the circuit would go through the other bulbs and dimly light them up simultaneously as they complete the ground side of the circuit.

So I would check the ground side of the right tail light.

Bookmarks & Social Networks