Tune up ? What should i have done? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
sam fisher
I hate dents!
 
sam fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 103137
Location: royal oak, MI
What I Drive: 2006 silver zx4 ses

Posts: 3,018
FF Reputation: 3 sam fisher Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Tune up ? What should i have done?

Ok so she just passed 90,000 miles and i would like to know what some recommended / preventative maintenance would be ?.? Like what engine components should i look at / replace ? Spark plugs , wires , belts...etc . Also what about suspension components ? What kind of maintenance can be done there? Also what would be a few cheap poly inserts i can put in when im doing all this maintenance? Thanks guys , if i havent repped you already , i will for your input.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using FF Mobile


sam fisher is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Black00ZX3
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Fan#: 104714
Location: Miami, FL
What I Drive: '12 Silver Focus

Posts: 2,865
FF Reputation: 3 Black00ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
From the maintenance guide fuel filter, cabin air filter, tranny fluid, oil should all be changed at 90k. 100k is when they suggest you replace the plugs. 150k is when they suggest you replace the belts. Probably wouldn't hurt if you do it sooner.

http://www.focusplanet.com/downloads...ance_guide.pdf
Black00ZX3 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
sam fisher
I hate dents!
 
sam fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 103137
Location: royal oak, MI
What I Drive: 2006 silver zx4 ses

Posts: 3,018
FF Reputation: 3 sam fisher Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ok so im good on all of that except my fuel filter , and plugs . Do you knlw what are the recommended brands and part numbers are for both by chance?

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using FF Mobile
sam fisher is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
sam fisher
I hate dents!
 
sam fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 103137
Location: royal oak, MI
What I Drive: 2006 silver zx4 ses

Posts: 3,018
FF Reputation: 3 sam fisher Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Oh and i might be crazy but im not totally sure my car ever had a cabin.air filter

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using FF Mobile
sam fisher is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
Dukttape
Focus Enthusiast
 
Dukttape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 94135
Location: Fort Atkinson, WI
What I Drive: 2011 Sangria Red SE Sedan "Fiona"

Posts: 117
FF Reputation: 1 Dukttape Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Also grab yourself a bleeder kit and do your brake/clutch fluid. I'll be rolling on 30k here in the next month and I'm going to be doing oil, tranny fluid, and I'm buying a motive power bleeder from FSWerks and going to start doing the brake/clutch fluid every spring. I'm also putting in magnetic oil drain plug and this fall a bypass filter system in, which gives 2 oil accesses ports to run temp and pressure gauges , and I figure more filtering is a good thing for a DD.
__________________
Roush performance intake, Exedy 12.5 lb flywheel, Massive 76A lower engine mount... more to come with more money.
Dukttape is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI
 
whynotthinkwhynot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Fan#: 18416
Location: the armpit of TN, Memphis, TN
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Posts: 20,066
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam fisher View Post
Oh and i might be crazy but im not totally sure my car ever had a cabin.air filter

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using FF Mobile
You car does not have a cabin air filter. You can find an earlier 00-04 Focus in the junkyard and rob the cabin air filter holder. It will fit in a 05-07 in place of the screen that is in there now.

You do not have an air filter to change. 05-07 were equipped with a lifetime air filter. Your owner's manual will tell you how to test it. Most of us replace that with an aftermarket oil/cotton filter and CAI instead of purchasing a new $200 lifetime filter when the OEM doesn't flow correctly.

Cleaning the MAF is not a bad idea, and costs about $7 for a can of spray MAF cleaner. Around 100k miles is when I replaced my coil boots. You might have noticed that you don't have plug wires and a distributor or even a coil pack like older vehicles. You have coil on plug ignition. Those are the coils that sit on top of the valve cover. We have had problems with the clips connecting the coil power wires- so check those to be sure these are all connected and clipped in place. To replace the boots, remove the coil and boot from the plug. Twist the boot to break it loose, then fold the open end of the boot back towards the top of the coil, and it will pop loose. You can also just pull or push it off the coil. A new boot will cost $5-8 each, and will come with a new spring and solid conductor.

Fuel filters should be changed every 25-30k miles. There is really not much you have to do to this car as far as a "tune-up". Plugs every 75k or so if you use platinum or iridium. NO, they do not last 100k. Coil boots are changed right around the same time, you might get 2 plug changes. The MAF should be cleaned every 25-30k when you change the fuel filter. You can check the PCV at this time- but it's very difficult. As far as fluids go, just keep an eye on them, and change as needed. If you have an AT, then you might consider changing fluid and filter around 100k, or 60k or so. From what I understand, the new fluids last much longer than the old fluids did.
__________________
Be eclectic.
---The Complete How-To Archive--

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
whynotthinkwhynot is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
Mile30
Focus Fanatic
 
Mile30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Fan#: 74686
Location: Westminster, MD
What I Drive: '03 ZX3

Posts: 1,778
FF Reputation: 7 Mile30 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam fisher View Post
Oh and i might be crazy but im not totally sure my car ever had a cabin.air filter

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using FF Mobile
They never came with 'em; but you have to spot to install it. You'll need to pull your wiper arms (index the resting position so re-installing them isn't guesswork), and cowl to get access to the cabin air intake (under the passenger side cowl)...







I used Ultra-Black RTV sealant to reattach the cowl and assure no leaking into the passenger's footwell via that opening under the cowl!
__________________
"I'm gonna sing the doom song..."
Mile30 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI
 
whynotthinkwhynot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Fan#: 18416
Location: the armpit of TN, Memphis, TN
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Posts: 20,066
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
^^^ FYI: 05-07 simply have a metal screen there, there is not a cabin air filter folder like the one shown in the picture above. That is what the part looks like that you'd have to find on a 00-04 Focus in a junkyard if you want to have a cabin air filter. Then you have to remove the metal screen and it's plastic frame, then put the cabin air filter holder in it's place.
__________________
Be eclectic.
---The Complete How-To Archive--

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
whynotthinkwhynot is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
josephd
Focus Enthusiast
 
josephd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Fan#: 84356
Location: N/A, MA
What I Drive: 2007 SE Dark Toreador Red Pearl

Posts: 335
FF Reputation: 1 josephd Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
You car does not have a cabin air filter. You can find an earlier 00-04 Focus in the junkyard and rob the cabin air filter holder. It will fit in a 05-07 in place of the screen that is in there now.

You do not have an air filter to change. 05-07 were equipped with a lifetime air filter. Your owner's manual will tell you how to test it. Most of us replace that with an aftermarket oil/cotton filter and CAI instead of purchasing a new $200 lifetime filter when the OEM doesn't flow correctly.

Cleaning the MAF is not a bad idea, and costs about $7 for a can of spray MAF cleaner. Around 100k miles is when I replaced my coil boots. You might have noticed that you don't have plug wires and a distributor or even a coil pack like older vehicles. You have coil on plug ignition. Those are the coils that sit on top of the valve cover. We have had problems with the clips connecting the coil power wires- so check those to be sure these are all connected and clipped in place. To replace the boots, remove the coil and boot from the plug. Twist the boot to break it loose, then fold the open end of the boot back towards the top of the coil, and it will pop loose. You can also just pull or push it off the coil. A new boot will cost $5-8 each, and will come with a new spring and solid conductor.

Fuel filters should be changed every 25-30k miles. There is really not much you have to do to this car as far as a "tune-up". Plugs every 75k or so if you use platinum or iridium. NO, they do not last 100k. Coil boots are changed right around the same time, you might get 2 plug changes. The MAF should be cleaned every 25-30k when you change the fuel filter. You can check the PCV at this time- but it's very difficult. As far as fluids go, just keep an eye on them, and change as needed. If you have an AT, then you might consider changing fluid and filter around 100k, or 60k or so. From what I understand, the new fluids last much longer than the old fluids did.
This may be a silly question. Aside of the car running poorly. Does a check engine light come on indicating, time for a change? The OEM filter not flowing correctly, leaves me to wonder if it would cause other problems within the engine.
Any idea what the life expectancy is for the OEM filter? My 07 has one of those maintenance free filters. IMHO that and the PCV being behind the manifold, is not one of Fords better ideas. Thanks
__________________
Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. Romans 13:8
josephd is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI
 
whynotthinkwhynot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Fan#: 18416
Location: the armpit of TN, Memphis, TN
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Posts: 20,066
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Did you test the filter like the owner's manual recommends?

Yes, it is possible that there will be codes generated. I would guess codes like O2 sensor reading lean, or MAF not reading correctly- as a guess. If you swap over to a CAI or simply put a 3.5" cone filter on the end of the MAF tube, then you will want to purchase some MAF cleaner and a Torx screwdriver so you can remove the MAF and clean it. The oil from those filters will contaminate the MAF and cause bad fuel economy. The MAF should be cleaned weekly for a month. After that, simply clean it with each oil change.
__________________
Be eclectic.
---The Complete How-To Archive--

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
whynotthinkwhynot is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.