Oil light stays on for 1-2sec - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-29-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
GeorgeFocusmk3`
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 173209
What I Drive: Ford Focus Ecoboost 1.0 125hp Black

FF Reputation: 1 GeorgeFocusmk3` Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Oil light stays on for 1-2sec

Hello guys i am a new member here in the forum. I bought a new Ford Focus 1.0cc with the 125hp.The car has about 14.000km and lately i notice that in the morning the oil pressure light stays on for about one or two secs and then goes off. Because i know that oil(Castrol ecoboost 5w 20) is the blood of the engine i have made two changes of oil and filter every 6000km.I have mention to the dealer the above problem with the oil pressure light and told me that is nothing to worry about.Does anyone have a similar problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2014, 05:15 PM   #2
wavsine
Focus Addict

Fan#: 118470
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Oxford White Hatch 5m

FF Reputation: 9 wavsine Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeFocusmk3` View Post
Hello guys i am a new member here in the forum. I bought a new Ford Focus 1.0cc with the 125hp.The car has about 14.000km and lately i notice that in the morning the oil pressure light stays on for about one or two secs and then goes off. Because i know that oil(Castrol ecoboost 5w 20) is the blood of the engine i have made two changes of oil and filter every 6000km.I have mention to the dealer the above problem with the oil pressure light and told me that is nothing to worry about.Does anyone have a similar problem?
Hi George, I do not have experience with that particular engine but as a rule, the only time an oil light should stay on for 2 seconds is after an oil change when the oil filter is filling.

The oil light on my 2.0 GDI engine goes out almost instantly.

I would investigate this.

Synthetic oil in GDI engines
www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324396
Old 06-29-2014, 05:56 PM   #3
chemistkremer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 131121
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SEL

FF Reputation: 1 chemistkremer Good Standing Member
It's harder to tell on a car that has a turbocharger, as the turbo is lubricated and cooled by the engine oil. Since the turbo is at the top of the engine, there is the possibility that it's taking the pump that extra second or two to get the system up to pressure.

Like wavsine, I don't have much experience with the 1.0 as we don't get it over here in our Foci. The biggest question I would have it for you is whether you have it parked on a level surface or if it's on an incline. If it is parked on an incline where more oil than usual is ending up in the pan, then coupled with the turbo, it could just be that the pump is taking slightly longer to bring the system to pressure.

If you have it parked level, and since you are using Ford-approved oil, it may be something to keep an eye on in the future. Unfortunately, there isn't much a dealership can do to fix it unless a bigger problem surfaces.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:54 AM   #4
GeorgeFocusmk3`
Focus Rookie

hi chemistkremer .The car is parked on a level surface. Sometimes also the battery light stays on as well and i am thinking maybe i have a bad battery and it causes that delay.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:21 AM   #5
Squad-G
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 141457
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red Hatchback Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Squad-G Good Standing Member
Quote:
hi chemistkremer .The car is parked on a level surface. Sometimes also the battery light stays on as well and i am thinking maybe i have a bad battery and it causes that delay.
I don't know about you in Greece, but us in Canada we have 5 years warranty. You say your car is new, do not worry about it for now. If it has to break, it will before the 5 years end. However, if it can work for 5 years without changing habits, it's because its "normal"...
Old 06-30-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

FF Reputation: 2 cbdallas Good Standing Member
What kind of oil filter did you install at your last oil change?
Old 06-30-2014, 11:50 AM   #7
wavsine
Focus Addict

Fan#: 118470
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Oxford White Hatch 5m

FF Reputation: 9 wavsine Good Standing Member
Quote:
Hello guys i am a new member here in the forum. I bought a new Ford Focus 1.0cc wyith the 125hp.The car has about 14.000km and lately i notice that in the morning the oil pressure light stays on for about one or two secs and then goes off. Because i know that oil(Castrol ecoboost 5w 20) is the blood of the engine i have made two changes of oil and filter every 6000km.I have mention to the dealer the above problem with the oil pressure light and told me that is nothing to worry about.Does anyone have a similar problem?
Did some research on this. The 1.0 Ecoboost has a horizontal oil filter unlike the vertical arrangement on the normally aspirated 2.0. It is possible that you have a defective anti drain back valve in your oil filter and that means that every time you start your car, your oil filter has to refill before you get full oil pressure.

Are you running a OEM or an aftermarket filter?
Attached Images

Synthetic oil in GDI engines
www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324396
Old 06-30-2014, 02:00 PM   #8
GeorgeFocusmk3`
Focus Rookie

Hello again.The filter that i used both times is from the ford dealer and is original.Also here in Greece we have 5 years warranty.The service for the 20.000km is coming and i will tell to the dealer to check it again .Also i found on youtube some videos ,from others ecoboost engines that also have this delay.
i found this one that despite the engine management the oil light stays on for a while like mine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=canWMk8L96c
Old 06-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #9
cobrajet429
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105085
What I Drive: 2012 candy blue manual SE

FF Reputation: 1 cobrajet429 Good Standing Member
Besides this issue . How do you like this engine?
Old 06-30-2014, 02:55 PM   #10
GeorgeFocusmk3`
Focus Rookie

beside that issue it is a very good car with a lot of torque when you need it.It gives you the feeling that you are driving a 1.8lt.Good power and nice acceleration.Also you can not understand that you are driving a 3cylinder car when i test drive the car before i bought it i was very sure that was a 4 cylinder engine.You cannot feel any vibration and also a very quiet engine.Worth the money !

Bookmarks & Social Networks