Oil of choice? - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current)

Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current) The place to chat about the 2.0L EcoBoost engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #21
thejordan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107706
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Focus 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 4 thejordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFocusSE5 View Post
We know this...how?
years of oil sample data from blackstone labs among various turbo cars (WRX, STi, MS3, EVO). they can be found at bobistheoilguy.com if you want to do your own research. rotella is amazing stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #22
BlueFocusSE5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97166
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 BlueFocusSE5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejordan View Post
years of oil sample data from blackstone labs among various turbo cars (WRX, STi, MS3, EVO). they can be found at bobistheoilguy.com if you want to do your own research. rotella is amazing stuff.
Quote:
turbo cars love rotella t6 5w40. mobil1 5w30 is garbage and shears too early causing engine damage.
You made the statement that Mobil 1 5W-30, "is garbage". Does Exxon/Mobil know this?

Of what particular experience does a company that manufactures heavy duty diesel oils have to offer gasoline powered cars?

Used oil analysis is to determine the condition of a particular engine and it's oil and not to make broad generalizations.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #23
thejordan
Focus Addict

Quote:
You made the statement that Mobil 1 5W-30, "is garbage". Does Exxon/Mobil know this?

Of what particular experience does a company that manufactures heavy duty diesel oils have to offer gasoline powered cars?

Used oil analysis is to determine the condition of a particular engine and it's oil and not to make broad generalizations.
The 5w30 mobil1 has been known to act as a 5w20 due to it's premature shearing. This is specific to the 5w30.

And rotella is not just for diesel, it's for gasoline vehicles as well. It has better/more detergents to last longer and provide better results.

here are a few quick examples that I pulled up just now, there's a ton of data on this so get off your high horse:

There are plenty of UOAs on bobistheoilguy.com that show Mobil 1 5w30 performs poorly.

look at viscosity results

Here's a 2011 wrx w/ 5k on the odometer

here's a 2011 STI w/ 3k on the odometer, Rotella on the left, Mobil1 5w30 on the right

M1 EP 5W30 7538 Miles - 2011 WRX - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Mobil1 5W-30, Subaru WRX, 4,900 miles, Cu prob? - Bob Is The Oil Guy

1k miles on odometer

Mobil 1 EP 5W-30, 7232 mi, 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 - Bob Is The Oil Guy

all of these show mobil 1 breaking down to a 5w20 within 5k (as early as 1k in some UOAs)

I highly suggest you browse bobistheoilguy. Turbo cars are much more abusive on fluids. And in hotter areas, the 5w40 holds up extremely well.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #24
BlueFocusSE5
Focus Enthusiast

I stopped reading Bobistheoilguy years ago when I discovered altered oil analysis test results posted by unknown, "experts", with unknown axes to grind, unknown agenda's and unknown employers spreading a lot of disinformation.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #25
thejordan
Focus Addict

Quote:
I stopped reading Bobistheoilguy years ago when I discovered altered oil analysis test results posted by unknown, "experts", with unknown axes to grind, unknown agenda's and unknown employers spreading a lot of disinformation.
You stopped reading posts on an open internet forum because of something years ago by affiliates of the website? The data I posted is blind to whatever tinfoil hat drama you think exists. I merely suggested BITOG as that's where most individuals post their Blackstone oil analysis results. AFAIK, Blackstone lab equipment is not prone to political/social influence.

Your ignorance is profuse.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #26
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
I ran Mobile 1 in my Eclipse for 90k (switched at 23k miles) miles and that was through 8 seasons of drag racing along with a few years of autoxing and oil was never a problem and the two turboes I upgraded to had zero coking on the bearings which was in part to proper cool downs but I just have a trust in M1 after the results I've seen up close no matter what other's data may be.

My '99 4Runner has seen nothing but M1 since it had 10,000 miles on it and now with 175k on it I have zero leaks and the engine is just as strong as my mom's '99 Runner with 80,000 less miles or at least in multiple 1/4 mile runs and both were equally slow.
I now run M1 in my STI and have no intentions of changing brands and if I had an ST it would get the same.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #27
BlueFocusSE5
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejordan View Post
You stopped reading posts on an open internet forum because of something years ago by affiliates of the website? The data I posted is blind to whatever tinfoil hat drama you think exists. I merely suggested BITOG as that's where most individuals post their Blackstone oil analysis results. AFAIK, Blackstone lab equipment is not prone to political/social influence.

Your ignorance is profuse.
No, because of repeated and obvious disinformation attempts from mysterious and unknown, "experts". Not ignorant at all, nor naive.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #28
BlueFocusSE5
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
I ran Mobile 1 in my Eclipse for 90k (switched at 23k miles) miles and that was through 8 seasons of drag racing along with a few years of autoxing and oil was never a problem and the two turboes I upgraded to had zero coking on the bearings which was in part to proper cool downs but I just have a trust in M1 after the results I've seen up close no matter what other's data may be.

My '99 4Runner has seen nothing but M1 since it had 10,000 miles on it and now with 175k on it I have zero leaks and the engine is just as strong as my mom's '99 Runner with 80,000 less miles or at least in multiple 1/4 mile runs and both were equally slow.
I now run M1 in my STI and have no intentions of changing brands and if I had an ST it would get the same.
Oh, but, but...the, mysterious, "experts", a bobistheoildisinformation say Mobil 1 is, "garbage"! How can your story be true?!
Old 02-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #29
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Between me and my mechanic we were "experts" with the results I've seen up close. I'd be more concerned with actual real world problems connected with a certain brand or concoction resulting in engine failure or a consistent issue with a component like say a turbo failure directly being a result of the oil.

I just know M1 did it's job going from an engine temp of less than 200F to a turbo exceeding temps of 1000+ under load so that was good enough proof for me but it was the only time I was changing synthetic with a 3500 mile interval due to severe duty but generally with my other cars it's about every 10 months but never longer than 8000 miles which is well within my comfort zone.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #30
thejordan
Focus Addict

Quote:
Oh, but, but...the, mysterious, "experts", a bobistheoildisinformation say Mobil 1 is, "garbage"! How can your story be true?!
Quote:
No, because of repeated and obvious disinformation attempts from mysterious and unknown, "experts". Not ignorant at all, nor naive.
I gave you oil analysis reports quickly and easily, which you refuse to read apparently because Blackstone equipment is controlled by liars. I provided the data. Not sure why you're so caught up on this. Your responses have been absent from any counter-argument and data. Go back into your basement you nutcase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
Between me and my mechanic we were "experts" with the results I've seen up close. I'd be more concerned with actual real world problems connected with a certain brand or concoction resulting in engine failure or a consistent issue with a component like say a turbo failure directly being a result of the oil.

I just know M1 did it's job going from an engine temp of less than 200F to a turbo exceeding temps of 1000+ under load so that was good enough proof for me but it was the only time I was changing synthetic with a 3500 mile interval due to severe duty but generally with my other cars it's about every 10 months but never longer than 8000 miles which is well within my comfort zone.
Subarus have been spinning bearings on Mobil1 5w30 since 2001. It's an issue with that vehicle due to being sensitive to shearing and oil starvation. There has been similar shearing found in MS3 and EVO communities. You're running 5w30 in a track car? Wow.

Until you have an oil analysis, your word is hearsay according to BlueFocus.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->