Does your IAK-equipped car honk after you exit (car running?) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #1
Matt Dupuis
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108279
What I Drive: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST3

FF Reputation: 1 Matt Dupuis Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Does your IAK-equipped car honk after you exit (car running?)

Forgive the cross-post from another forum.

I own a new ST, and if I get out and shut the door with the car running, the car will honk the horn if I take the key with me. On the surface that might not seem so bad, but once you live with it for a little while you realize how many times you hop out of your car to do something quickly. Maybe you jump out at a gas station to squeegee your windows or headlights. Maybe you run into a convenience store on a cold day and want to leave the heat on for your wife & kid who are bundled up inside. Maybe you need to open a gate or your garage and it's raining.

Edit - I should mention that on this other forum we discovered that cars built in early October do not honk like this, and cars built from mid November do. Somewhere in between there was a switchover period. It has only been discussed about for North American cars, I don't know if the rest of the world has this "feature".

This issue has bugged me since day 1. I've contacted my dealership about it, I've contacted Ford Canada about it, and I've had a lengthy discussion with a couple of the Ford CS reps who monitor Focus Fanatics about it. To a man, they all tell me that it can NOT be turned off. LV_NV_ST was told the same thing here: Anyone know how to stop the honking when you take the key?

A recap, my favourite example: I go out to my car on a cold and snowy morning and start it. I climb out and shut the door. HONK HONK! I open the back door and grab the snow brush, close the door. HONK HONK! I brush off the car and scrape the windows, knock off the brush and toss it in the back. HONK HONK! It annoys me and it annoys my neighbors, especially as I park my car out front of my house and I sometimes leave for work before 6:00 AM.

I wouldn't mind so much if it was something I could get my dealership to turn off, but that Ford feels so strongly about it that they've suddenly got to implement it (after how many years of IAK being offered in their cars?) and not leave it as a configurable setting, well I don't agree with that move.

One of the things that was suggested to me by the FCS people is to post an idea on the Ford Social site and get people to vote on it. So that's what I've done.

No More Honks

If it bugs you, please click the link and "like" it, and leave a comment explaining how it bugs you. You'll have to sign up and it'll take a day or two for your comment to show up (it needs to be approved first) but because this is an official Ford feedback site, it's got the most chance of anyone hearing it. By the way, this site doesn't work at all with my Android so I have to access it on my computer.

Last edited by Matt Dupuis; 02-22-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Forgive me if I missed something from your description, my first thought would be to leave the key "in" the car, and carry an extra for lockout concerns (or if you WANT to lock it while running).

This is std. procedure for me with plain metal keyed work trucks, as a spare for emergencies when far from home is handy - and there are times when leaving it running & locked is a necessity.

One magazine I read had an "oops" with a test vehicle when someone left the "key" on top of the car when driving away (Focus ST). Don't remember if it locked when they got out, but I remember the comment on a rep from corporate flying a replacement in to get them going again! New convenience features can sometimes be a PITA, and I wonder if this incident had anything to do with the warning "beep" becoming std. on newer cars as your research shows...

Luck!
Old 02-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 5 slybarman Good Standing Member
The car wants to be sure you know you ran off and left the car running. Meh. Not a big deal IMO.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
Matt Dupuis
Focus Rookie

I know the magazine article you refer to - the key was left on the roof and was run over when the car was driven away. I'm not sure if the car can be started with the key on the roof or not, or if putting the key on the roof before closing the door would set off the honk. Immaterial, because if the IAK fulfilled the requirements to make the horn honk, the dashboard would have been lit up and the warning tone would have been going off inside the car, telling the driver that the IAK wasn't present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Forgive me if I missed something from your description, my first thought would be to leave the key "in" the car, and carry an extra for lockout concerns (or if you WANT to lock it while running).
With a conventional key that's not a terrible idea, but with an IAK no matter how well hidden it is, anyone can break in, push the clutch, and hit the starter button. Vrooom.

I just want to be able to turn it off. I am not bothered one way or the other if anyone doesn't mind this feature, I don't like it and I want the ability to disable it.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Dupuis View Post
...One of the things that was suggested to me by the FCS people is to post an idea on the Ford Social site and get people to vote on it. So that's what I've done...
Good lookin' idea you have there, Matt Dupuis! Looks like it's already getting some attention, too!

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 02-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
Matt Dupuis
Focus Rookie

Thanks, Crystal. Did you get a laugh out of my PM rant as well? ;)
Old 02-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Dupuis View Post
Thanks, Crystal. Did you get a laugh out of my PM rant as well? ;)
No problem. I'm always happy to listen, rants included.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 02-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Shucks, all the examples were about takin' the key while leavin' it runnin' (grin) so i guessed that for now at least, leaving a key in would take the pain of a constant 'HONK" away! (HeHe)

If you REALLY get "" at it, you could always cut that little wire that makes it 'honk" for any reason OTHER than the horn button.

I'm sure you want to retain the "honks" you like, so I hope Ford cooperates & releases a programming "fix" that'll turn off just that function for you....

Luck!

Bookmarks & Social Networks