Weird Rattle Passenger seat - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #41
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I've heard of a few people getting the seat track replaced. I'm not really looking forward to having to do that. I don't think it's the seat belt because I can replicate a click by just lifting the base of the seat when it's cold out. But I'll troubleshoot it one of these days...

-->My Morning Commute<--

I can actually see the top half of the passenger seat shaking back and forth when it's clicking. Not sure if anyone else notices that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #42
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 slybarman Good Standing Member
Yes, I have seen the headrest rattling back and forth.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #43
CDNFocusFan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99542
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Metallic Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 CDNFocusFan Good Standing Member
I get a rattle from my passenger seat as well, I found it to be coming from the bar that adjusts the position of the passenger seat back-forward. It is loose and rattles up and down inside a white plastic clip. Still working out a solution.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:57 AM   #44
gavogue
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 137401
What I Drive: 2013 Racing Blue SE

FF Reputation: 1 gavogue Good Standing Member
A pillar rattle

I also have a rattle from the passenger side.

It happens much more frequently when it is cold and took me a while to figure where it was coming from.

I thought center console, then roof liner & passenger seat, but pressing / prodding / knocking those made no difference.

It is coming from the bottom of the passenger side A-pillar rattling against the dash. When it happens I push the pillar trim and it stop! I think I just need a piece of foam between the trim and the dash.

My car is and SE with appearance pack.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:26 PM   #45
helomech
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 139289
What I Drive: 2014 silver Focus SE Sedan, manual

FF Reputation: 1 helomech Good Standing Member
Hello everyone, I purchased a 2014 focus se sedan only a couple months ago, shortly after, it started to become a rattle box.

I had multiple rattles coming from various locations in the car, and I have meticulously been eliminating them one at a time. Thought I'd share my experience.

The most annoying and consistent rattle was occurring while driving above 60mph, especially with any head wind. I figured it was related to any relative wind forces. The sound may initially seem to come from somewhere on the passenger side, but I eventually noticed it was loudest when I put my ear to the center armrest.

My search led me to discover that the exhaust heat shield underneath the car (at the approximate location under the armrest area) would rattle against the frame when only slightly tapped. I fixed this rattle by applying some high-temp rtv (silicone) to the heat shield and frame contact points (mine hit the frame more on the passenger side). I also bent some portions of the heat shield until it produced zero rattling when tapped.

Other passenger side rattles may come from the b-pillar plastic trim and the loose vent underneath the passenger seat. My driver side vent was nice and snug, but the passenger side was completely loose. I put some foam tape around the vent which helped, but there seems to be no way to get it to feel "installed," like it is on the driver side. My passenger b-pillar squeaked at times. This was also an easy fix. I popped it out just enough to apply some silicone to the areas where the plastic around the metal retaining clips butts up against the pillar.
I also have some creaks that come from the dash areas, where the gauge cluster and stereo meet the dash. I haven't fixed them yet, but I know that 3M makes a black, sort of putty like tape that works well for dampening these types of creaks. I couldn't find it online, but I've seen it sold at auto-body shops. It's a bit pricey.

It seems many have noticed that their car came with the door panels not quite completely installed. It wasn't the case with mine, but going through all the door panels and pressing on them to ensure all the clips are in their recepticles is a good starting point.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #46
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNFocusFan View Post
I get a rattle from my passenger seat as well, I found it to be coming from the bar that adjusts the position of the passenger seat back-forward. It is loose and rattles up and down inside a white plastic clip. Still working out a solution.
As does mine.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:14 AM   #47
chemistkremer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 131121
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SEL

FF Reputation: 1 chemistkremer Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
As does mine.
I have that same one, though I haven't 'officially' diagnosed it yet.

I also have another that is more subtle and more irritating than that. When cold, there is a lateral movement of the passenger seat back on its hinges that NEVER stops until the temp of the car reaches ~80 inside. If I pull the seat back towards or push it away from me, it goes away. But if I push it towards the front or back of the car, it does nothing.

Sometimes, when these two rattles are working in tandem, I tell myself that I'm just going to remove the seat from the car and drive over it.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #48
yifeixli
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 150650
What I Drive: 2014 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 yifeixli Good Standing Member
I have a similar problem in a 2013 Ford Focus Titanium Sedan. I still haven't quite figured out where it's coming from. It sounds like it's coming from the seat directly either in or under, but I can't quite tell. Has anyone had any luck with the dealership?
Old 04-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #49
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavogue View Post
I also have a rattle from the passenger side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by helomech View Post
Hello everyone, I purchased a 2014 focus se sedan only a couple months ago, shortly after, it started to become a rattle box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
As does mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemistkremer View Post
I have that same one, though I haven't 'officially' diagnosed it yet.
Hey all,

If you're still experiencing this concern, please let me know and I'll look into available options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifeixli View Post
I have a similar problem in a 2013 Ford Focus Titanium Sedan. I still haven't quite figured out where it's coming from. It sounds like it's coming from the seat directly either in or under, but I can't quite tell. Has anyone had any luck with the dealership?
I'd like to connect you with your regional customer service manager, yifeixli. Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred servicing dealership.

Todd

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 04-02-2014, 04:55 PM   #50
rexazz2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 121761
What I Drive: 2014 HB SE

FF Reputation: 1 rexazz2 Good Standing Member
reach over and put your hand on the passenger seat belt latch