Installed new Oil Pressure Switch (2000 ZX3) still leaking oil ... - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-13-2013, 02:33 AM   #21
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,213, Level 35
Points: 3,213, Level: 35 Points: 3,213, Level: 35 Points: 3,213, Level: 35
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 60%
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Switch, no, use it again. Gasket? Maybe if it comes off clean and without de-laminating. I've done it before but condition of gasket is critical. Up to you, bud.

Teflon tape ALWAYS leaves shreds after use, those are the ones that cause the most trouble when you don't fish them out of hole and they get swept up in oil flow to block a small oil port like in cam supply galleys in head. You gotta be particular about the cleanout there. Seen torn up engines over it. Always leave the first two threads blank of tape.

Two layers or four, doesn't matter, the teflon is so flexible it simply squishes out of the space allowed. That doesn't mean you use ten layers though.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #22
AllenR
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 112259
What I Drive: 2006 light tundra

Points 75, Level 1
Points: 75, Level: 1 Points: 75, Level: 1 Points: 75, Level: 1
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 AllenR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
Switch, no, use it again. Gasket? Maybe if it comes off clean and without de-laminating. I've done it before but condition of gasket is critical. Up to you, bud.

Teflon tape ALWAYS leaves shreds after use, those are the ones that cause the most trouble when you don't fish them out of hole and they get swept up in oil flow to block a small oil port like in cam supply galleys in head. You gotta be particular about the cleanout there. Seen torn up engines over it. Always leave the first two threads blank of tape.

Two layers or four, doesn't matter, the teflon is so flexible it simply squishes out of the space allowed. That doesn't mean you use ten layers though.
Thanks for the reply.
Is it okay to use that blue form a gasket stuff if I need to?
Local Ford dealer didn't have it in stock, so I had to order it. So, I rented a car. "Hyundai, Toyota, or 2013 Ford Focus?" he asked. Didn't have to think twice on that one! Rides good. Steering's a little odd, and the controls for a/c radio take getting used to. A little herky-jerky on the shifting, but as long as I put a moderate throttle, it shifts fine. It's got 25,000 miles on it. I'd buy a '13, if I was in the market for a new one. Is it just the 12's that had trouble with the shifting?
Old 05-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #23
mikeeshaq
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72526
What I Drive: 2010 Transit Connect

Points 626, Level 12
Points: 626, Level: 12 Points: 626, Level: 12 Points: 626, Level: 12
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 15 mikeeshaq Great Standing Member
Well I checked all the posts for a particular type of trouble that I am going to describe:

Where was the engine made? Maybe it does not matter!

There are TWO types of threads here that WILL bite you in your rear

There is the 1/8" BSP or British Standard Pipe thread AKA 1/8" ISO

Then there is the more familiar 1/8" NPT or National Pipe Thread used in the Western Hemisphere [mainly USA] ONLY

The threads are different! The thread count is 27 per inch for one and 28 per inch for the other. AND if I have the actual count wrong it is still off by one thread

AND the flank angle on the NPT is 60 degrees with a theoretical flat on top and bottom

THE BSP has a flank angle of 55 degrees with theoretical round on top and bottom

I have been servicing high end instrumentation for 30 years. 25 years for Australian and 10 years for French. The kicker is components can and will come from any country including the USA so I HAVE to know threads

You need to go to the Ford dealer to get your stuff
Old 05-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #24
AllenR
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 75, Level 1
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeeshaq View Post
Well I checked all the posts for a particular type of trouble that I am going to describe:

Where was the engine made? Maybe it does not matter!

There are TWO types of threads here that WILL bite you in your rear

There is the 1/8" BSP or British Standard Pipe thread AKA 1/8" ISO

Then there is the more familiar 1/8" NPT or National Pipe Thread used in the Western Hemisphere [mainly USA] ONLY

The threads are different! The thread count is 27 per inch for one and 28 per inch for the other. AND if I have the actual count wrong it is still off by one thread

AND the flank angle on the NPT is 60 degrees with a theoretical flat on top and bottom

THE BSP has a flank angle of 55 degrees with theoretical round on top and bottom

I have been servicing high end instrumentation for 30 years. 25 years for Australian and 10 years for French. The kicker is components can and will come from any country including the USA so I HAVE to know threads

You need to go to the Ford dealer to get your stuff
Wow, didn't know that. Thanks, Mike. I bought the pressure switch and the gasket from a Ford dealer. The engine oil filter adapter is on order from the Ford dealer, as well, so I shouldn't have to worry about the wrong threads.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #25
mikeeshaq
Focus Addict

Points 626, Level 12
Level Up 52% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
"""Wow, didn't know that. Thanks, Mike. I bought the pressure switch and the gasket from a Ford dealer. The engine oil filter adapter is on order from the Ford dealer, as well, so I shouldn't have to worry about the wrong threads. """

You will still need to fit the parts together at the dealership. Who knows maybe there was a thread change at some year [nightmare]

Whether NPT or BSP the threads are either 'tapered' aka 'pipe'
or parallel threads (straight or bolt) [not likely in your case]
tapered threads need to sealed by Teflon tape or paste also ask at the dealership , who knows maybe the truth is strange
However leave the first thread bare so you do not get Teflon shards into the engine oil system
Never ever use Teflon on parallel or straight [bolt]thread as the thread in NOT meant to do the sealing action but rather a gasket or a ferrule
The hose connections on a gas welding rig , usually use parallel or straight thread
Old 05-14-2013, 12:43 AM   #26
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,213, Level 35
Points: 3,213, Level: 35 Points: 3,213, Level: 35 Points: 3,213, Level: 35
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 60%
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
'Never ever use Teflon on parallel or straight [bolt]thread as the thread in NOT meant to do the sealing action but rather a gasket or a ferrule'

If you only knew how many people I got in at the store that thought you could do that. I finally quit saying anything just to avoid the argument from an idiot. Sell him the tape or the more expensive sealer, it just adds to your incentive.................once I spent 12 hours rebuilding a multiple output gluer unit when the biker who fancied himself a killer mechanic did that on every one of like 100 fittings. We were scraping dried glue spots off the floor for a month.

The theoretical top and bottom flat or rounded irrelevent if the interference is at the sides as supposed to be. If bottoming on top or bottom then something wrong there. Thread cut too deep or worn. I HAVE seen some oddball tapered pipe fixtures that looked as if they were INTENDED to seal at the top with a gasket or o-ring though. Extra insurance maybe.

On our bike website some say same thing about the difference in Japanese (ISO) 1/8" pipe threads versus NPT, they say trouble screwing in NPT gauges into the engine boss. I never had any trouble and parts sealed fine without ever putting a tap to the threads. Maybe the joint just wasn't long enough to bring that extra thread into play. If aluminum then it might easily pull thread just enough to still seal. A .0013" error between 27 and 28 in each thread there.

What are we talking about here, 1/8" or 1/4"? My zetecs thinking 1/4" there?
Old 05-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #27
mikeeshaq
Focus Addict

Points 626, Level 12
Level Up 52% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Dear AMC
""""
What are we talking about here, 1/8" or 1/4"? My zetecs thinking 1/4" there? """""

1/4 same diff STILL one thread off

I used to work on Atomic Absorption Spectrometers
These things use use Air, Acetylene and Nitrous Oxide
One mistake and it is death and injury
Caught a customer's maintenance people using Teflon tape on the acetylene hose fitting and it was leaking acetylene!!!

There IS a difference of fit between screwing in NPT into a BSP female fitting and vice versa
Actually screwing in a Parallel BSP into a tapered NPT works, cause then the O ring on the BSP parallel will seal. Assuming a smooth surface on the NPT end
Old 05-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #28
AllenR
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 75, Level 1
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Well, I got the adapter and it looks like it has the tapered threads, but my sensor has straight threads. It begins to tighten after only a few turns.
If the numbers are the same, how do I get the right part??
Old 05-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #29
AllenR
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 75, Level 1
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeeshaq View Post
Dear AMC
""""
What are we talking about here, 1/8" or 1/4"? My zetecs thinking 1/4" there? """""

1/4 same diff STILL one thread off

I used to work on Atomic Absorption Spectrometers
These things use use Air, Acetylene and Nitrous Oxide
One mistake and it is death and injury
Caught a customer's maintenance people using Teflon tape on the acetylene hose fitting and it was leaking acetylene!!!

There IS a difference of fit between screwing in NPT into a BSP female fitting and vice versa
Actually screwing in a Parallel BSP into a tapered NPT works, cause then the O ring on the BSP parallel will seal. Assuming a smooth surface on the NPT end
I have a straight thread sensor, but no o ring. What should I do?
Old 05-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #30
03FocusZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 61785
What I Drive: 2003 Liquid Grey ZX3

Points 2,453, Level 30
Points: 2,453, Level: 30 Points: 2,453, Level: 30 Points: 2,453, Level: 30
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 03FocusZX3 Good Standing Member
What Elsolo said about permatex, i used the stuff when i was assembling the Detroit Diesel V6 engines where i work, permatex is AWESOME!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.