advantages to turning off the esc? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current)

Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current) The place to chat about the 2.0L EcoBoost engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-31-2013, 07:14 PM   #11
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have winter tires on my car right now but with the ESC off I can spin the tires in 1st - 4th gears. With it on I only get a little wheel spin in 1st.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
xxWeinerDogxx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105482
What I Drive: [2013/T-Scrm/ST3 RIP] 2014 OWST3

FF Reputation: 1 xxWeinerDogxx Good Standing Member
I've had my ST a little over a month now. Typically, I push the car harder through the twisties than in a straight line, and I've yet to feel the system influencing my decisions. Could be that I'm not pushing hard enough, or maybe Ford has done a very good job with the tuning.

I like that the system resets to full assist each time the car is started, and does not remain in unassisted mode should I decide to disengage it.
Primarily because my wife will occasionally be driving the car.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #13
teamDFL
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 92060
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3, 2012 SE Sport Hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 teamDFL Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by acbauza View Post
Think long and hard before doing this. As an in-car driving instructor I never advise students to turn off traction control or stability control. The manufacturer puts it in there for a reason, because at some point all of us "run out of talent".
Maybe not the best place for this, but I have done in car for a long time and I am now an HPDE classroom instructor and my opinion is a little different. I do think that it serves a purpose for beginners, but every driver will eventually need to turn it off in order to learn. At the last BMW CCA I was a classroom instructor for, there was a long discussion amongst many of the instructors about how the A & B (advanced and advanced intermediate) students lack basic correction techniques because many of them have never driven without the driver aids. So when the track gets hot and slick (as often happens in the South in August) there is no change in how they drive. The car just slows itself down and they keep on driving as they did before.

So while I see your point, I also see the other side. There are times, on track, that I do advise turning the system off so that a student can get a better understanding of physics.
Rally Revolution #21
Old 02-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #14
PDX:ST
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105125
What I Drive: 13 PB ST3

FF Reputation: 1 PDX:ST Good Standing Member
On my commute and just driving around town, I leave the ESC on, however any time I take the ST out for a spirited drive or want to do a hard launch, I put it into Sport mode, no matter what the road conditions are. Sport mode greatly reduces wheel hop (by allowing the wheels to spin some) and lets you have a little more fun drifting in the twisties before the nannies kick in.

I've only completely disabled it twice to get a feel for it and found little, if any, difference between fully disabled and Sport mode. I won't hesitate to completely disable it when tracking or autocrossing, however I do like the extra safety cushion "Sport" mode gives you on the street.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #15
HopnDude
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 144409
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 HopnDude Good Standing Member
I turn off ESC when I'm goofing off, or racing. Otherwise I leave it on. I can manually handle torque steer, I don't want the ABS kicking in to slow down one wheel or the other as this drags the vehicle down. I don't do autocross, so I don't care about that, yet at slower speeds it is fun to take on/off/merge ramps at a higher than normal rate of speed just to feel it stick you in the seats.

A man's gotta know his limitations. ESC is there for a reason, if you're new to fwd/manual/forced induction cars I'd say leave it on. If you've got some expierence under your belt, turn it off and enjoy! Just find that sweet spot that works for you and go from there. Take it one step at a time, just remember that you typically gain the expierence after you need it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks