Shelby Focus ST: Win or Fail? - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Shelby Focus ST: Win or Fail?
Win 32 15.92%
Fail 143 71.14%
Wait and See 26 12.94%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #51
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

FF Reputation: 12 swansong Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo86GT View Post
He basically invented the American Fast Hatch with the Omni GLH-S, which looking back was only a 29hp increase over the standard Omni GLH.

There a dozen comments about zero extra horsepower. Really? Are you that Naive? There's conflicting articles out there about 300+ or 252 hp. Someone posted the base stats for the ST. Get over it and read all the information out there.
The $15k gets you zero HP, according to Shelby. There is an optional Performance tune "coming soon", that will undoubtedly be overpriced as well. I'm betting that that is where the 300 HP number is coming from, which is 20% more than the stock ST. The GLH-S, with a 29hp increase, was also a 20% gain.

As the car sits now, with the likely heavy suspension and brake work and bigger wheels, I wouldn't be surprised if the Shelby was slower than the stock ST, at least in a straight line.
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 78k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #52
FocusSTHopeful
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85667
What I Drive: 2008 silver g35x

FF Reputation: 1 FocusSTHopeful Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
A $35k focus should be 300 bhp Awd standard

Nuff said

Sent from my SAMSUNG-Galaxy S3 using FF Mobile2
Old 01-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #53
swansong
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusSTHopeful View Post
A $35k focus should be 300 bhp Awd standard
Adding AWD would bump the cost up way beyond $35k. The Focus is designed for FWD, always has been and always will be. There is a reason there are many more V8/RWD conversions than AWD converted Foci. It's easier and cheaper.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #54
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
There a dozen comments about zero extra horsepower. Really? Are you that Naive? There's conflicting articles out there about 300+ or 252 hp. Someone posted the base stats for the ST. Get over it and read all the information out there.

The shelby website lists it as 252 HP.

http://www.shelbyamerican.com/2013shelbyfocus.asp

why don't you read all the information out there before you make an out of yourself. I have included a few articles for your reading pleasure...

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2013-sh...oit-auto-show/

Quote:
Originally Posted by car and driver
Three months down the road, Shelby plans to introduce a package that will up horsepower by 30 to 50 ponies.
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...ROIT/130119903

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoweek
based on the high-performance Ford Focus ST. It has the stock Focus ST turbocharged engine that makes 252 hp
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/15/s...-detroit-2013/

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoblog
Shelby does mention a tuning option that will increase the engine's 252-horsepower output to more than 300, although no pricing is mentioned
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...roit-auto-show

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorauthority
Shelby still quotes the stock Focus ST’s 252-horsepower rating
http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...190908959.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by autos.yahoo
With the standard Focus ST producing around 250 hp, Shelby American is in the process of finalizing a performance kit that will boost power between 30-50 ponies, but as of today, the engine (disappointingly) remains unchanged. Still, it’s a strong motor as stock. But a 300 horsepower Focus? Now that sounds interesting.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #55
ZX4STDoug
I don't care

Fan#: 19367
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang V6 6 speed

FF Reputation: 13 ZX4STDoug Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Tacky, gaudy and drastically overpriced are three terms that immediately come to mind. They certainly did not do the ST any justice, and as others have noted, the seats look like eBay specials. Carroll must be rolling over in his grave. To me, it looks to be nothing more than a quick money grab by the powers that be at Shelby.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #56
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_urn View Post
The shelby website lists it as 252 HP.

http://www.shelbyamerican.com/2013shelbyfocus.asp

why don't you read all the information out there before you make an out of yourself. I have included a few articles for your reading pleasure...
It's SOP for him. Shoulda seen when he asked about strapping on a turbo and manual boost controller to the 2.0 Ti-VCT, w/o tuning support. After we all told him what a REALLY bad idea that was, he got all hurt that we weren't willing to expand the knowledge base with our melted pistons. Then said he didn't really mean it, knew it was a bad idea, etc.... LINK
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
Old 01-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #57
Slo86GT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88885
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Slo86GT Good Standing Member
Is it more idiotic to think that the Borla exhaust that Shelby is putting on the car provides 0 extra horsepower as well?

I doubt the cars will even be released without the tune, they're simply playing the CYA role until it's finalized what vendor they are going to go through.
- Jody -
Old 01-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #58
Slo86GT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88885
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Slo86GT Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiStick View Post
It's SOP for him. Shoulda seen when he asked about strapping on a turbo and manual boost controller to the 2.0 Ti-VCT, w/o tuning support. After we all told him what a REALLY bad idea that was, he got all hurt that we weren't willing to expand the knowledge base with our melted pistons. Then said he didn't really mean it, knew it was a bad idea, etc.... LINK
There's plenty of TUNING support out there, just no ECU TUNING SUPPORT available.

Before people played with ones and zeros, there were plenty of companies that made lots of power simply modifying signals that the ECU saw.

MAF tweekers, check valves, RRFPR's, and many many other options are still out there for people that aren't closed minded enough to take advantage of them.

Forgive me for attempting to open some conversation about actual options for those people on here that whine and moan instead of turning wrenches.
- Jody -
Old 01-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #59
swansong
Focus Addict

Quote:
Is it more idiotic to think that the Borla exhaust that Shelby is putting on the car provides 0 extra horsepower as well?
It's possible. Aftermarket exhausts have been shown to give minimal to no gains over the stock SVT exhaust. Plus without a tune, the ECU might not know how to properly utilize an upgraded exhaust. Or perhaps Borla/Shelby just haven't dyno'd and documented the before/after yet. IIRC the Borla kit is still a work in progress at this point, and hasn't been officially released.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #60
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
There's plenty of TUNING support out there, just no ECU TUNING SUPPORT available.

Before people played with ones and zeros, there were plenty of companies that made lots of power simply modifying signals that the ECU saw.

MAF tweekers, check valves, RRFPR's, and many many other options are still out there for people that aren't closed minded enough to take advantage of them.

Forgive me for attempting to open some conversation about actual options for those people on here that whine and moan instead of turning wrenches.
Links to this "plenty of TUNING support" for the 2.0 Ti-VCT?

There, you have now opened a dialog. Feel free to contribute meaningful information.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->