Grinding/Popping Noise Still Going on After Mechanic sees it - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-18-2014, 06:39 PM   #1
Red2goBlue
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 167402
What I Drive: 2014 Candy Blue Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Red2goBlue Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Grinding/Popping Noise Still Going on After Mechanic sees it

Today, I took my car into the dealership, they stated that they did an inspection on it, checked online to see if there were any problems that it might've been linked to and they test drove it. They said they could not duplicate the noise. They said that they've test drove it a few times up hills and nothing.

When I went in this morning, I showed them this video that I made yesterday going up hill and even pointed out the noises.

If you watch the video (link listed below, posted on YouTube), the noises sound from time (:50) to (1:03) and then again from (1:38) to (1:41).

They said that they could not find anything and all the parts on that wheel that they said were all fine. They did not notice any damage on any of the parts. So I said now what?? They said there wasnt anything more they could do. They said the only thing is that if the noise is more frequent, then bring it back in.

It just erks me that they cannot find anything. So if you watch the video and listen to the noises. Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill?

Note that this noise ONLY happens when I go up hills, not when driving normally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iJ_...ature=youtu.be

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2014, 07:00 PM   #2
wavsine
Focus Addict

Fan#: 118470
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Oxford White Hatch 5m

FF Reputation: 6 wavsine Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2goBlue View Post
Today, I took my car into the dealership, they stated that they did an inspection on it, checked online to see if there were any problems that it might've been linked to and they test drove it. They said they could not duplicate the noise. They said that they've test drove it a few times up hills and nothing.

When I went in this morning, I showed them this video that I made yesterday going up hill and even pointed out the noises.

If you watch the video (link listed below, posted on YouTube), the noises sound from time (:50) to (1:03) and then again from (1:38) to (1:41).

They said that they could not find anything and all the parts on that wheel that they said were all fine. They did not notice any damage on any of the parts. So I said now what?? They said there wasnt anything more they could do. They said the only thing is that if the noise is more frequent, then bring it back in.

It just erks me that they cannot find anything. So if you watch the video and listen to the noises. Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill?

Note that this noise ONLY happens when I go up hills, not when driving normally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iJ_...ature=youtu.be
First question, how do you drive a 2015 Focus? They are not out yet.

I can't tell much from your video, all I hear is road noise. Are you talking about the popping noise from the front suspension at low speed and turns in parking lot maneuvers?

Has your dealer performed TSB 13-12-9 ? That generally solves the problem.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...363,bs.1,d.b2U
Old 06-18-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
Red2goBlue
Focus Rookie

No it does not make noises when you turn the steering wheel. Of course there is road noise, there is no way of getting around that. That is why I stated the times listed in my post. Those are the time to listen to it. you will hear a type of grinding/popping noise. I dont know if its just at low speeds or not but when your going up a hill, no matter the speed, it makes the noise. Ive tried this at 25mph up to 30 mph up a hill, it makes no difference.

As for that TSB 13-12-9 test. I dont know if they performed that test or not. The paperwork just states inspected vehicle and did road test.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
zehkaiser
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98706
What I Drive: 2012 Tux Black Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 zehkaiser Good Standing Member
If you listen in the video (kind of hard to hear over the wind noise) you can hear what sounds like loud clicking. Very odd. I have no idea what would even cause that...
Old 06-18-2014, 07:46 PM   #5
Red2goBlue
Focus Rookie

Ive been checking out other videos on YouTube, I see a lot of other Focus owners have the same issue. They dont know what it is and seems that the mechanics they take them too pretty much say the same thing mine did.

I also saw a could responses that stated that this noise is "normal" as it had something to do with the dual clutch automatics. That Im not too sure of either as its a pretty loud noise at times. If that's normal, then maybe I bought the wrong brand of car.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:58 PM   #6
Kyodai
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 170937
What I Drive: 2011 Moondust Silver Focus MK3

FF Reputation: 1 Kyodai Good Standing Member
Watched the video. The sound is clearly audible at like 0:50. Sounds to me like some small part is loose and rattling around somewhere. I'm no mechanic so no idea what it could be, but a bit disappointing that the mechanics could not hear it, even though the audio quality in the video is a bit low due to the wind in the microphone i could hear it very clearly. Can you pin it down like "in the engine compartment", "Seems to come from the door" or "Sounds like its from the trunk"? From the video itself i could not tell where it's coming from.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:05 PM   #7
Red2goBlue
Focus Rookie

To me the noise was coming from the wheel well area so that I Ive been assuming that its something wrong with the wheel. but it could be from the engine but since that wheel well is on my side, it might be coming through that.

Finding out many Focus owners have this same noise with their car. I really love my car, I like the design and all the features and great gas mileage. I just hope that its not a lemon of a car or a lemon transmission or something else.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:17 PM   #8
Kyodai
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 170937
What I Drive: 2011 Moondust Silver Focus MK3

FF Reputation: 1 Kyodai Good Standing Member
From the noise itself it didn't sound metallic, so my guess would be that it's not a vital part. And you say its only uphill, so maybe just a hose hitting a plastic part or so... If you can halfway locate the area i'd try to fix all suspicious parts, hoses, rims or so with duct tape and see if it stays, that way you can maybe nail it down to a specific part or area... Would definitely be good to know what could produce the sound - or what not...
Old 06-18-2014, 08:33 PM   #9
Red2goBlue
Focus Rookie

I prefer not to duct tape a new car. The more I look into this online, the more Im finding out that this is a transmission problem and not a wheel problem.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:41 PM   #10
JimsFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99994
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Cruze,1966 Mustang

FF Reputation: 1 JimsFocus Good Standing Member
Sounds like the trans noise that so many complain about. One of the videos you saw might have been mine as I had a similar noise.

Bookmarks & Social Networks