More of the Same - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #11
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard35 View Post
The problem is, you shouldn't have to do any of this. This is in fact a new car, with a new car warranty.
Yeah, I can't believe the people that are like "It's not a Lexus."

I know it's not a Lexus, but it shouldn't rattle. It's cheaper because it has less awesome components (smaller engine, no projector/DRL lights, etc.) but the features that it does have should work 100% - even if it is a Ford.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
Blizzard35
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88463
What I Drive: 2012 Lincoln MKZ AWD Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 2 Blizzard35 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Yeah, I can't believe the people that are like "It's not a Lexus."

I know it's not a Lexus, but it shouldn't rattle. It's cheaper because it has less awesome components (smaller engine, no projector/DRL lights, etc.) but the features that it does have should work 100% - even if it is a Ford.
I couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 01-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #13
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
I think you mean American *manufacturers*, instead of just Americans. The Accord is made in America (65% of it is manufactured and I think 100% assembled -- more than the Focus) and it's a rock-solid car, and always has been. It's been manufactured and assembled in America for 30 years (1983).
Old 01-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard35 View Post
The problem is, you shouldn't have to do any of this. This is in fact a new car, with a new car warranty. When I still had my 2012 Focus Titanium, I brought the car back 3-times for the headliner noise. Finally, I got fed up after it wasn't fixed....walked into the dealer principals office and tossed the keys to my car on his desk. I told him I didn't want the car back until all of the issues were fixed, including the squeaking headliner problem. Oh and I also said, I will need a loaner vehicle while you are doing the repairs/fixes. Anyway, they had the vehicle for almost 17-days. They eventually fixed the headliner, along with the long list of other problems (DCT/MFT/intelligent access etc. etc. etc.). The DCT was never fixed, MFT was a total fiasco and the intelligent access problem was hit and miss even after the TSB's were applied.
Finally, after almost 19-months of ownership, I pulled the pin, traded in my Focus and I have never looked back. If I hadn't got such a sweet deal on the new 2012 Lincoln MKZ AWD Sport, I would be driving a Toyota. But, my local Ford Dealer has been excellent and my family has dealt with them for over 40 years and they bent over backwards to "make me happy." I don't have to put up with all the Focus bullshit anymore...so guess what..."I'M VERY HAPPY!"
This, except I got the Accord Sport. Same exact thing. I left my car at the dealership for a week and said I'm not taking it back until it's fixed. After a week they said they couldn't fix it, but if I didn't pick it up it would sit there for a week then they'd have it towed.

A dealership told me they'd have it towed because they couldn't figure out how to fix it. And this is the customer service that has *propelled* Ford to the bottom of the list.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #15
paul21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87707
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 0 paul21 Newbie
IIRC, Ford needs a 6% profit margin on all their cars to sell it and keep investors happy. That's something like $1500 on the Focus, which is in a competitive compact car segment, and I can guarantee Ford lost money on my car. It's not that the engineers can't design an excellent car, it's that they're forced to nickle and dime things here and there. 50c on some headliner glue and 25c on some door foam for rattles, $2 on a stronger motor mount, etc. Before you know it, you're making an extra $10/car or $100,000/month. Maybe 50 of 10,000 of these cars come back for a repair and cost $200 each to fix. That's net $90,000. Maybe the service department can convince the customer that there is no problem with the car (these aren't the droids you're looking for) and cut that 50 down some and make extra money. This is how Ford works, this is why customer service always feel like an argument and I end up unhappy and unsatisfied.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #16
gostinger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44867
What I Drive: 2013 SE Black Pack Loaded 5 Spd MTX

FF Reputation: 1 gostinger Good Standing Member
A few thousand in repairs to mine!
Old 01-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #17
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83765
What I Drive: '13 SG 4dr, Manual

FF Reputation: 2 e30og Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul21 View Post
IIRC, Ford needs a 6% profit margin on all their cars to sell it and keep investors happy. That's something like $1500 on the Focus, which is in a competitive compact car segment, and I can guarantee Ford lost money on my car. It's not that the engineers can't design an excellent car, it's that they're forced to nickle and dime things here and there. 50c on some headliner glue and 25c on some door foam for rattles, $2 on a stronger motor mount, etc. Before you know it, you're making an extra $10/car or $100,000/month. Maybe 50 of 10,000 of these cars come back for a repair and cost $200 each to fix. That's net $90,000. Maybe the service department can convince the customer that there is no problem with the car (these aren't the droids you're looking for) and cut that 50 down some and make extra money. This is how Ford works, this is why customer service always feel like an argument and I end up unhappy and unsatisfied.
thats how ALL dealers work...Had experience with the lot. Ford went from Rat fur headliner to a nice weave...cut costs in the attachment. Ford also put a lot more money in the content and performance vs competition. I strongly believe this is the best compact on the market. There are its drawbacks, and they are FIRST YEAR drawbacks. Sorry to everyone who had trouble and I dont blame you for leaving, however most every car in their first year of a MAJOR redesign are usually relatively problem ridden, especially with fit/rattles. First year for the entire interior, exterior, underpinnings, features, engine, and especially transmission. As a matter of fact first year for the transmission ever...did you think they would get a complex compact dry DCT right the first try? Mini's have tons of rattles...Corollas are rattle free and are currently among the best selling but they also have ancient 4-speed automatics...how long did it take VW to get their DCT right, and its a wet setup? They were very problem ridden for a while, as well as their turbo engines, but their Dual clutch is considered one of the best on the market. iDrive anyone? Its excellent now, only after a decade of refinement.

We all took a HUGE risk on these 2012s, they are totally BRAND new
Old 01-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #18
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul21 View Post
customer service always feel like an argument and I end up unhappy and unsatisfied.
Quotin' this!!

I told them that I won't put myself through their shenanigans again. Not until I have collected hard evidence of my car's problems, as well as proof that these problems don't exist on all other Focuses.

I'm not going to take 'it's normal' or 'they all do that' for an answer again.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #19
StingRay
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67421
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver ST

FF Reputation: 4 StingRay Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Oh hey look it's ANOTHER one of these threads. Where are the mods when you need them? If we could get all of these complaint threads merged into one, the MK3 section would be 1/25th of it's size.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #20
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30og View Post
We all took a HUGE risk on these 2012s, they are totally BRAND new
Drivetrain aside, they weren't totally brand new for the 2012 model year. They had been on sale in Europe as a 2011 model. Also, the platform is an overhauled evolution of the C1 platform that underpinned the previous-gen Euro Focus, Volvo C30, and Mazda3. No excuses, really.

A lot of the problems stem from poor quality control, an entitled unionized factory workforce, and typical American cost-cutting. One Ford should mean One Ford. The American-built Foci should have been built just as well as the ones made in Germany, or elsewhere in the world.

I jumped ship too. I bought a late-production 2012, and still had issues.

Bookmarks & Social Networks