Wiper Arm Removal - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
underbird10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88103
What I Drive: 2014 ST3

FF Reputation: 3 underbird10 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Wiper Arm Removal

It's been a while guys and gals... I've been lurking a bit every now and then, but haven't posted in a while. I now have 25K on my (6/2011 M/D) Focus Ti and am still quite happy with the car. A couple of minor problems, but nothing material.

Looking to remove the passenger wiper arm, but am unsure if it has a locking clip on the wiper/gear connection or not. I took the nut off and tried to work the arm off the stud, but it seems to be on there pretty good. Anyone got experience with removing the arm that can offer a tip (other than buying a removal tool?) Is there a clip, or is it just a friction type connection?

My other rides -2006 Performance White Mustang GT Coupe, 2004 40th Anniversary Edition Mustang Coupe, 2013 Edge Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

FF Reputation: 9 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Give the closest hinge to the wiper stud a firm wack with a rubber mallet or by hand. They get corroded on slightly. It's normal
Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
underbird10
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks bro. I kinda suspected that, but didn't want to try and force it and find out the hard way that it has a locking clip. The way that arm is built with the large round mounting bracket, it'd be kinda weird to have a clip, but you never know these days. I've found that a lot of engineers try new stuff nowadays and really f-up simple stuff that's worked fine for 50 years.

My other rides -2006 Performance White Mustang GT Coupe, 2004 40th Anniversary Edition Mustang Coupe, 2013 Edge Limited
Old 04-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

FF Reputation: 9 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I have broken a few wiper arms with the clips. Hopefully they stick to the one kind of fastener in the future
Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
focus wht
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49023
What I Drive: 2013 Focus TI White Platinum

FF Reputation: 1 focus wht Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If you remove the arm it is not keyed to the shaft and you will have to re syncronize the wiper arm as each arm is an independent motor no linkage to each other.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
underbird10
Focus Enthusiast

Yes, from what I've read it's pretty easy to get them out of sync with each other, so I'll be marking the arm and the stud to make sure they realign.

Why am I doing this you ask...? Well, ever since I had my Eibach Springs installed, I have a pop in the strut on that side when I hit a pothole. Nothing serious, but it is definitely either a loose mounting bolt or the spring is not seated in its mount properly. No such problem on the driver side. I've read the hundreds of posts on the clunk/rattle issue, but this is more of a pop and not related IMHO. Never happened before I had the lowering springs installed.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
underbird10
Focus Enthusiast

A little follow-up on this question.

I got the arm off this morning just the way it was described above. Take the nut about 2/3rds off, place a lever under the wiper arm at the motor shaft end(I had to use a fulcrum under the lever), apply pressure to the lever while lightly tapping on the nut with a rubber mallet. Popped off after about 6-8 taps with the mallet.

I also think I found my popping issue with the right front strut/spring. When unloaded, the spring is actually loose in the mounts and there was about 3/8" of back and forth play (twisting). I have the Eibach Pro-Kit springs, so this may be due to the shorter spring height than stock. Anyways, because of the torque on the spring when turning and the unloading of the spring when the wheel drops into a pothole, the spring is actually twisting in its mount and popping back in place when the load returns. I did an experimental fix with a couple of washers to see if taking up the slack so the spring doesn't twist in its mount will solve the problem. Updates forthcoming.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Struts are designed to turn like you're speaking of, which is why there is a bearing inside of the top-cap. This is what allows your strut to turn with two fixed mounting points (top-cap and knuckle) when you make turns.

The slack in your springs is part of the suspension design, but shouldn't a contributing factor to hearing a noise. I don't know exactly what it is that you're doing with the washers, but it doesn't sound like a good idea imho.

Why exactly did you have to take your wiper arm off to do work on your struts
2014 FiST-
Old 04-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
When I had my windshield replaced last December they removed the wiper arms to facilitate the replacement, but when I was driving home I pulsed the washer and when the wipers came on they were AFU. So, I took the car back and they came back 15 minutes latter and admitted they switched the arms and when they switched them back all was well.

The moral of the story is that the arms are NOT the same and you MUST put them back where they came from (drivers side to drivers side, passenger side to passenger side).

Brian
Old 04-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #10
underbird10
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Why exactly did you have to take your wiper arm off to do work on your struts
Sounds a little odd doesn't it, but there's a method to my madness... I was just retorquing the strut tower bolts.

The Eibach spring is a bit shorter than the stock spring. Both in height and in length of the coils. When seated, the spring is about 3/8" short of the stop that is on the lower mounting plate, so I just dropped a couple of washers in the gap to see if it affects the noise I have. There's no way for it to interfere with the movement of the strut or any other moving part, Just a relatively simple experiment to see if I should invest more time into pulling the strut tower down and readjustting the spring.

First test drive was quiet and uneventful. I drive about 80 mi a day to work and back, so that should be a good test of the work-around. If it does indeed fix the noise then I'll do the full tear down and reinstall.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->