Braking distances, SVT vs all? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Braking distances, SVT vs all?

I can not find any stopping distances for a standard Focus, only for the SVT.

SVT is claimed to be 118 feet 60-0mph --> http://www.modernracer.com/fordfocussvt.html

Only source I can find for a normal Focus is 133 feet 60-0mph --> http://www.monteverdiclub.com/rahmen/stoptbl.htm

Now we all know that the front brakes do the majority of braking. Somewhere in the vicinity of 70% of braking is done by the front and the remaining 30% done by the rear. This brake bias is based on theoretical available tire grip and weight. Being there is more weight on the front of the car and as you apply the brakes more weight is transferred to the front, they have to do more of the job of stopping you.

Now that being said, I'm having a hard time finding any reason for swapping to SVT rear disc brakes,,, especially considering the price the used parts collect and the work involved with the swap.
I do not see how spending (on average) $500 in parts and hours of my time would be worth 30% of 15 feet, or ~5 feet sooner of stopping distance. That's $100/foot.

I've wanted SVT brakes for a long time, as most of us do. But after actually thinking about what makes them so special, I just can't come up with anything that justifies spending money on them. That cost can just as easily be put into custom making braking parts to adapt some other car's parts and potentially with better results. I mean if I were to swap front and rear SVT to my car I'd be looking at near $1,000 for used parts. And I'd still be left with the limited availability of new parts.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but I really don't see any reason to switch to SVT brake parts. At least not for the money it costs, $1,000 for stopping ~15 feet sooner, no thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
Focus112
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50026
What I Drive: 2002 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 5 Focus112 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
$1k seems way high

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using FF Mobile
Old 12-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
Svizzara
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98554
What I Drive: '01 SPI Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Svizzara Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
TBH it boils down to aesthetics and the negative stigma of drums for a lot of people, myself included. Discs look nicer and don't get you made fun of lol. I will likely buy Massive's 13" front kit upon release, even though it's totally overkill for daily driving. but you know what? it will look nice by filling out the empty space behind the wheels, and I'm willing to shell out the $$$ for just that. same thinking applies to the rears for me (if I can ever find a rear kit...). call me a poseur, but any shorter stopping distances would just be a bonus for me, lol

if your numbers are correct and I take a purely objective standpoint, I agree with you that SVT rears are not worth it.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #4
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 54 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svizzara View Post
TBH it boils down to aesthetics and the negative stigma of drums for a lot of people, myself included. Discs look nicer and don't get you made fun of lol. I will likely buy Massive's 13" front kit upon release, even though it's totally overkill for daily driving. but you know what? it will look nice by filling out the empty space behind the wheels, and I'm willing to shell out the $$$ for just that. same thinking applies to the rears for me (if I can ever find a rear kit...). call me a poseur, but any shorter stopping distances would just be a bonus for me, lol

if your numbers are correct and I take a purely objective standpoint, I agree with you that SVT rears are not worth it.
Pretty much summed it up. ^^^^^ If your wanting faster stops for 1 or 2 times then asumming your brakes are desent now, get a desent set of tires. If your looking for a longer duration of using your brakes, you know you can't beat bigger rotors (diameter & thickness), calipers. I've worked in a body shop for yrs & have seen a lot of teepeed hoods. Just to ask, How much is it worth to stop 5' to 15' shorter & not hit the guy in front of you & then not have to deal w/ a ticket, a wrecked car & the hassels that go w/ it?
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 12-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 47 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Well you definitely can't compare the stopping distances posted mags or anyone else as stopping distances will vary depending on location, weather, tires, and brakes not to mention a bunch of other stuff.

If you want to compare them by feel, it still doesn't work out. I have a SVT and I have focus with SVT front brakes and rear drums. It's brakes feel better than my SVT's. The main reason for this is the SS brake lines. Though in the SVT I have never had any problems slowing down from triple digit speeds. I have yet to do this in the SVT brake swapped focus so I don't know how much the rear drums play in brake fade from triple digit speeds. Which really doesn't matter since I don't drive around everywhere going triple digit speeds lol

The only differences I can see on making a comparison is the SVT brakes are much better for doing e brake slides than the drums are and are easier to work on lol

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 12-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
ferret15
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83494
What I Drive: 03 zx3 and a screeming yellow eap

FF Reputation: 2 ferret15 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I want to point out that you need atleast a 16" rim to use the SVT brakes and clear the calipers. you can use the 05 or with a little more work the 06/07. The thing about stopping is that you need rubber on the ground to stop you just as much as you need big enough brakes. 14/15" are too skinny to benefit on the road from SVT brakes. All that will happen is you will lock up your tires faster. That means you will stop slower and wear your tires out because you don't even have ABS to keep them from locking up, with that in mind a 05-07 fronts are actually going to be better for daily driving. GO fast machines I would just get the bigger brakes because you have other issues more important to work with and probably sticky icky tires.

I got 3 cars at home all with SVT tires/rims. First off the 03 sucks at braking and I don't trust it to full on double rainbow emergency stop. Those brakes are at the end of the line for being able to stop the car nicely under all conditions. The 14/15/16 inch tires could lock up under heavy breaking but these 215/17" tires are a little more than the brakes can handles. DD wise, they work. Its nice having the the tire because the initial "oh shit" grab is faster because of the tire, but take it down a stop and I can tell its hurting and makes me nervous. I haven't come to a screeching hault since, not even a chirp.

The ST is GOOD, (which is a larger front and disc rear from an 06) It can handle the brakes and stop the care, but given the option I'd still go bigger like the SVT. It does come down to that last 5ft or 15ft I want it. It means I can decelerate from 60-30 faster (or as sleepboy mentioned 100-60) and then swerve just as much as keeps me from rear ending the dude in front of me.

tl;dr: Bigger brake are good but only if you have enough tire to use them
Old 12-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
I'd like to think my rear SVT brakes with green stuff pads will stop me better than my old drums with 50k miles on them...especially after repeated use. Discs should be more fade resistant, so another plus for discs there
Old 12-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Rear brakes only matter after two stops, then drums get hot and stop working so great. First two stops, rears matter very little.

So for true street driving, that panic stop will be just as short with drum brakes.

For track use, those drum brakes will be worthless before the end of the first lap.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I replaced my rear for various reasons.

1. I can paint my front and rear calipers both RED!!!!
2. E brake is likely to work better
3. looks better
4. I have SVT brakes front and rear, no longer calling a part place saying I need such and such for a 2001 ZX3 and then such and such brake parts for a 2002 SVT. some people get a little confused.
5. Hopes that braking power is increased with the use of more aggressive pads and rotors
6. Easier to bleed (the drums have the bleeder screw in a very poor spot IMHO)
7. Easier to provide maintenance, drums require a lot more "tools" to replace and work on and usually require removing the whole hub. I can now easily just replace the gearing with out having to replace the drum also.
8. Easier to visually inspect to see pad wear
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->