Suspension overhaul questions - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
ez_sleazy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100108
What I Drive: 2008 dark blue SES

FF Reputation: 1 ez_sleazy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Suspension overhaul questions

Hey guys,
So I recently bought the FRPP lowering springs and shocks/struts for my 08 SES. I'm going to make a second order for additional parts in the next month or 2 so I can install everything at once. I've been doing some extensive research but still have a few questions about a few things. My car is a daily driver and I like to drive very spirited... With that in mind I'm not trying to make a racecar, just help the existing parts work better together and add a few things.

1) Massive speed adjustable end links. It is to my knowledge that the SES comes with a rear swaybar and the other sub models do not. First of all do I need adjustable end links with the lowering kit I have? I hear of those moog ones but they're not adjustable. I read when you lower the car you pre-load the swaybar which doesn't sound good to me... I do not plan on adjusting these things on a track or ever. If I did any adjusting I'd need to bring it to a shop. So are these end links for both rear and front and will I need them or can I get the moog ones for front and rear? Do I order the same part for front and rear?

2) Polyurethane swaybar bushings. I'd like to just increase the feel of the OE sway bar, it's not to expensive so I wouldn't mind the purchase.

3) Front strut tower brace. I think these look pretty sick and with the increased stiffness of the suspension I'm sure they'll help a lot. I think I'm digging the purp? not to sure. Any thoughts?!

4)Any other ideas or considerations for when I lower this car? Other bushings or links while my car is up in the air?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
I'd install your frpp's kit, pass on the adjustable end links & the strut bar. Yea, I'd do the moog end links & if your going to stay w/ the stock size bars then, you got a green light on the sway bar bushings. A great upgrade would be rear toe links. Then get a 4 way alignment.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 12-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
ez_sleazy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100108
What I Drive: 2008 dark blue SES

FF Reputation: 1 ez_sleazy Good Standing Member
Thanks Felix. May I ask why you recommend skipping the strut bar? I was thinking this worked with the sway bar to reduce roll?
Shopping for bushings is harder than I thought it would be. I can't seem to find a good description anywhere on what I am actually buying. For example all of the pictures are different, or it doesn't specify front or rear, and some don't even mention what the bushing is made of.
Lastly, why do you recommend rear toe links? What do they do?
Old 12-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ez_sleazy View Post
Thanks Felix. May I ask why you recommend skipping the strut bar? I was thinking this worked with the sway bar to reduce roll?
Shopping for bushings is harder than I thought it would be. I can't seem to find a good description anywhere on what I am actually buying. For example all of the pictures are different, or it doesn't specify front or rear, and some don't even mention what the bushing is made of.
Lastly, why do you recommend rear toe links? What do they do?
Yea, I have a strut bar, I'd say its more for astedics(looks) more then any thing & thinking your on a budget, so I'd be looking at function parts. The strut bar doesn't reduce roll at all. The rear toe links are going to make the rear end feel more postive & make adjusting your rear toe super easy. Grab a open end wrench, like a 20mm & see if the wrench fits around your rear sway bar & thats the size bushing you'll need. I'd also get poly rear sway bar end links too. Are you going to go w/ a bigger bar down the road, if so I'd pass on the poly bushings.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 12-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Bruce is right about most things, listen to him.

The strut bar is something id look for used if you really want one and not something I'd install with the suspension overhaul. Get used to the way the car handles with the new suspension and then go from there.

Check out CFM, they specify front/rear and the size...makes it easy to select the right part. All endlinks/bushings from 00-11 will work, just as long as you select the right mm for the bar you have
http://www.c-f-m.com/performancepart...shings-c95.htm
Old 12-07-2013, 02:08 AM   #6
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 64 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Just to add an answer for question 1., the end links are of entirely different types front to rear.

Front links have a ball joint at each end, giving a solid hookup & instant response.

Rear links use rubber doughnuts at each end sandwiching the bar & the control arm. These flex as needed when the suspension moves, they also "give" a bit - not as solid a connection. that's why poly bushings (harder) give quicker response from the bar.

Front & rear bars are mounted in rubber bushings. These can be changed to poly ones for better response.

Cheapest/best single improvement, to "even up" the response front to rear, is to replace the rear bar's mounting bushings with poly ones. With just two new poly mounts, you now have a combination of stiff & rubber mounts at each end of the car instead of solid/rubber at the front with rubber/rubber at the rear.

Hope that explains it a bit, peek at the pieces on the car & it'll all be clear.

Cheers!

S.R. #275

Bookmarks & Social Networks