Horrible AM reception, crazy I know... - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #1
loki993
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82968
What I Drive: 13 Red SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 loki993 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Horrible AM reception, crazy I know...

Ok I'm sure I sound like some old man listening to AM, but we have a few pretty good AM sports stations here that I wanted to try and listen to when there isn't anything good on FM. Problem is when I try to listen to them they either don't come on at all or if they do I get them decent for few miles and them I lose them. When I do get one the whole time its in and out picking up all other kinds of interference and stations.

So is there anything I can do about this short of swapping the head unit out, even if that would work, or am I just SOL?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 22 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Short of your antenna not being connected or a break in the cable that goes to the antenna, Id say you are sol. Car manufacturers dont care about AM reception, simply just being able to tune for it is about their extent of having AM in a car. The short roof antenna is going to be really inefficient at receiving AM (when it comes to AM, size matters.) Short of driving around in the country at night attempting to do some DXing, I dont think you will really have much luck.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
loki993
Focus Enthusiast

Yeah FM reception seems fine for the most part so I don't think there is a problem with the antenna.

I pretty much expected to be SOL, I mean lets be real, the target demographic for this car doesn't listen to very much AM radio. Even if is is on a car Im betting its pretty far down on the we need to get right list anyway.

Just wondering if there was some sort of after market antenna I could try or something, though I'm not sure I even want to mess with it all that much. Its not that big a deal, it would just be nice sometimes.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
lewisra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93289
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 3 lewisra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
Yeah FM reception seems fine for the most part so I don't think there is a problem with the antenna.

I pretty much expected to be SOL, I mean lets be real, the target demographic for this car doesn't listen to very much AM radio. Even if is is on a car Im betting its pretty far down on the we need to get right list anyway.

Just wondering if there was some sort of after market antenna I could try or something, though I'm not sure I even want to mess with it all that much. Its not that big a deal, it would just be nice sometimes.
I have the same issue, when WJR doesn't come in clear you know it's a radio issue. Unless they've turned down the power in the past few years.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
Kipp
FocusFest Event Team

Fan#: 31300
What I Drive: 2013 F150 4x4 5.0, 2014 HD 883 Iron

FF Reputation: 9 Kipp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
are you using the stock headunit right now or aftermarket? could be a bad antenna or bad tuner. there are aftermarket antennas that you can try. some are basic and there are also amplified antennas available as well. you can get those from most stereo shops or crutchfield etc.
Midwest Crew #22
Official FocusFest Event Planner
Old 02-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #6
loki993
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipp View Post
are you using the stock headunit right now or aftermarket? could be a bad antenna or bad tuner. there are aftermarket antennas that you can try. some are basic and there are also amplified antennas available as well. you can get those from most stereo shops or crutchfield etc.
sorry this got dumped into my spam folder.

Its the stock head unit
Old 02-27-2013, 05:08 AM   #7
lewisra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93289
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 3 lewisra Good Standing Member
There is service bulletin out for this. You might call the dealer about it. I'll try to find more info on it, I have it somewhere.

Bookmarks & Social Networks