Cat delete pipe for 2002 ford focus - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
zTimbo
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97910
What I Drive: 2002 Green ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 zTimbo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Cat delete pipe for 2002 ford focus

Hi all,
I'm looking for a cat delete pipe for a 2002 ford focus zx3. I've been looking online and haven't found anything. I know there has to be a company out there that makes these. Can none point me in the right direction?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Indy'sexclusiveZx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 65419
What I Drive: 2013 tuxedo black st

FF Reputation: 7 Indy'sexclusiveZx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
There isn't one that's why you could either just punch out the cat or getter a header that replaces the hole thing or have a custom made one

Old 01-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
katiekay
ɔᴉʇɐuɐℲ snɔoℲ

Fan#: 42025
What I Drive: 03 CD Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 59 katiekay Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (48)
SVT header and ORP will be your best option
Hatch Nation #8
September 2012 Ride of the Month

Old 01-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
zTimbo
Focus Rookie

Would something like this do what I want to do?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Racing-4...178333&vxp=mtr

Old 01-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Those "shorty" headers have been found to do very little in any gains. Be prepared for a very loud exhaust if you are running with very little back pressure / muffler in the rest of the exhaust. Why are/do you want to pull the CAT?

The companies that do make an off road pipe usually expect a full length header. Pulling the CAT alone will not make nearly as much performance as pairing the off road pipe with a good header
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)

Old 01-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
zTimbo
Focus Rookie

The converter is stopped up an I want to get rid of it, plain and simple.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
TerryB
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34559
What I Drive: Red '01 ZX3

FF Reputation: 68 TerryB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I bought the OBX setup from a local seller. It didn't make mine much louder. But, I already had my Bosal catback installed. So it was louder than stock anyway. I only purchased it for the downpipe because I couldn't find one separately. I did attempt to install the shorty since I had it anyway. I have quite an assortment of tools between my son and I. But for the life of me, I couldn't get all the header bolts installed after trying for hours. I even had some ARP bolts so I wouldn't have to mess with the crappy studs. If I had the money, I would have done it the right way ( SVT ). There are inexpensive aftermarket converters around if you can't afford the full swap. Plus, I think the downpipe may be clogged or something. I've got a constant vibration lately and the exhaust has definately changed tone in the last few months. The weather has been absolutely crappy for weeks now and I don't have a garage. I will take it apart some time and see what's going on.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
zTimbo
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryB View Post
I bought the OBX setup from a local seller. It didn't make mine much louder. But, I already had my Bosal catback installed. So it was louder than stock anyway. I only purchased it for the downpipe because I couldn't find one separately. I did attempt to install the shorty since I had it anyway. I have quite an assortment of tools between my son and I. But for the life of me, I couldn't get all the header bolts installed after trying for hours. I even had some ARP bolts so I wouldn't have to mess with the crappy studs. If I had the money, I would have done it the right way ( SVT ). There are inexpensive aftermarket converters around if you can't afford the full swap. Plus, I think the downpipe may be clogged or something. I've got a constant vibration lately and the exhaust has definately changed tone in the last few months. The weather has been absolutely crappy for weeks now and I don't have a garage. I will take it apart some time and see what's going on.
I also just really need the down pipe. I could care less for the header. Most of the ones I've seen look cheap and of low quality.

I would've never believed someone doesn't make a cat delete pipe for these cars but it looks like that is the case.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #9
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
I am not sure, but I don't think that down pipe from the OBX will fit directly onto the stock manifold. And as far as my knowledge is, they never made a cat delete pipe for the regular Zetec. The SVT gets the off road pipe because it has it's catalytic converter underneath the motor instead of in front of it. You could always have an exhaust shop custom weld one for you but that might prove to be a bit costly.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:16 AM   #10
tmittelstaedt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108093
What I Drive: 2001 Red Focus SE Street Edition

FF Reputation: 0 tmittelstaedt Newbie
deleting the cat by using the time honored method of taking the cat off and punching out the honeycomb with a long rod, will get you a constant Check Engine light, make the car sound worse than before, and brand you as a stupid redneck by anyone who knows anything about cars.

Cats last practically forever unless something has gone wrong with the engine. But if the engine has a problem they will plug up eventually.

Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->