ABS and brake light on after rear brake job - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
timgrosjean
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92735
What I Drive: 2006 maroon wagon

FF Reputation: 1 timgrosjean Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
ABS and brake light on after rear brake job

Just put new drums and shoes on my 06 Focus wagon. After the job was finished the ABS and brake idiot lights came on. Looking at the wiring diagram the only two things monitored by the brake light are the parking brake and fluid level. Fluid level is fine and the parking brake is off. I disconnected the wire from the parking brake sending unit and the light stays on, I then disconnected the wireing harness from the master cylinder cap and the light still stayed on. then jumped the two prongs on the pig tail going to the master cylinder and the light still stayed on. Most concerned about the brake light. Anyone know if more than just the fluid level and parking brake are all that activate the brake warning light? Or what other problems will cause the brake light to come on? After start up the brake light does go off only to come back on within a minute. Also tried disconnecting the battery to try and reset with no luck. Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
deadend9009
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 69681
What I Drive: 2003 Grey Focus ZX5

FF Reputation: 3 deadend9009 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Did you disconnect any of the rear ABS sensors? Did you damage the ABS ring when taking off the drums?
Old 12-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
timgrosjean
Focus Rookie

Didnt disconnect any of the ABS sensors, I did however clean them with a alcohol pad as they looked to be dirty and covered with a film of brake cleaner/dust. Had to use a 4 jaw puller to remove the old drums and they came straight off. Dont think anything was damaged in the removal. The brakes work fine other than ABS being disabled no soft or spongy petal.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:43 PM   #4
norcalfocus01
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Membernorcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)

See the ring with the rubber on it? Did you pull that off your old drum and put it on the new drum? If not, go dig your old drums out of the garbage and get them off. They should pry right off.

And don't worry this is a super common mistake for people to make.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:26 PM   #5
timgrosjean
Focus Rookie

No I did not remove that ring from the old drums and put them on the new ones. Luckily for me I havent made a garbage run since changing the brakes. Think this will get rid of the brake light also? Plan on replacing those rings in the next couple of days. Will post the results when complete. Thanks for the tip Norcal, greatly appreciated. The Hayes repair man I was using said nothing about replacing the ABS ring when changing drums out.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:02 AM   #6
Fucus-minded
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72986
What I Drive: 2003, black, Ford Focus SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 3 Fucus-minded Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
yep, those rings are read b the brake sensor...that most likely is your issue...happened to me 2 Xs, lol.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
timgrosjean
Focus Rookie

Removed the ABS rings from the old drums and installed them in the new and am happy to say I no longer have either a ABS or brake warning light lit up. Thanks Focus Fanatics for saving me some loot and face as I was just about to call my mechanic whos pet peeve is fixing others mistakes.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
carlos1984
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90893
What I Drive: 2003 ford focus zx5

FF Reputation: 1 carlos1984 Good Standing Member
I just replace the drum, shoes and abs senor, my problem was that the old ring pointed out was destroyed on the old drums therefore i had to buy a new one from dealer. I am just wondering how long after the repair do the abs light stay on. I have only driven it a short distance.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
Alex2507
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 74979
What I Drive: 2000 Silver Focus SE Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 Alex2507 Good Standing Member
My mechanic threw that ring out with the old drums and the dealer doesn't sell them any longer. Any ideas on where I can obtain them for a 2000 SE 4 door with a 2.0L engine? TIA

Edit: Updated part # for that vehicle is 5S42Z2B384A

It's available at the dealer for $46

Last edited by Alex2507; 02-11-2013 at 09:53 AM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks