First time in the shop for my 2012 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-12-2014, 06:20 AM   #1
nibyak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25443
What I Drive: 2012, RedCandy, 5-Door, SE

FF Reputation: 1 nibyak Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
First time in the shop for my 2012

I dropped my 2012 at the dealership last night. I’ve had it for almost 2 years and I’ve got 85,000 miles on it. No major issues so-far. But right now it sounds like both the front wheel bearings are shot. It’s almost too loud to talk at highway speed. I have recently replaced the tires so that’s not the issue, in fact the new quieter tires make it even easier to hear that it is the wheel bearings. The last time I changed the oil, I also noticed the dreaded leak between the engine and the tranny. I have the Premium Care Extended Service Plan and have used that before on previous Fords with no problem. Since I drive over 40,000 miles per year I would burn through the basic warranty in like 10 months. I got this car at a different dealer from my previous three Fords so I am a bit anxious as to how they will deal with the service.

I was looking at the service order after I was very specific with my descriptions of the problems and here is what they wrote. For the wheel bearing issue they said “customer hears noise when driving” for the oil leak they simply said “customer reports oil leak in engine area”. We will see.

I did get a rental through the ESP (another Focus) but the Enterprise rental put a $100.00 deposit on my credit card. This never happened at my previous dealership but my previous dealer had a fleet of loaners and I rarely got a rental. My previous dealer also had the car there and waiting for me when I arrived. And my last dig at Enterprise is that the Sirius isn’t activated. That’s just cheap in my book. I’ve rented many cars and the sat radio was always operational. I’m in the car for over three hours per day and I listen the Sat radio a lot of the time.

Getting another Focus made it easy since everything is basically the same as mine. It took like 1 minute to pair up my phone and I was ready to go. It did take a few minutes this morning to figure out how to turn off the lights down by my feet. I had the ambient lighting on my 08 Focus and never used it then either.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2014, 06:34 AM   #2
CunFFS13
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 117411
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Ford Focus S MT

FF Reputation: 5 CunFFS13 Good Standing Member
Keep us update
Old 03-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
lewisra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93289
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 3 lewisra Good Standing Member
Are you going to have them apply any of the TSB's for trans, radio reception, Nav, wiper fluid, etc?
Old 03-13-2014, 06:42 AM   #4
nibyak
Focus Enthusiast

It did have the firmware update to the transmission applied shortly after I got the car during the service recall or whatever it was called. I didn’t mention that in the Original Post so I guess this is actually the 2nd time it’s been in the shop. I didn’t really consider that a problem because I didn’t have any problems with the tranny before or after it was implemented.

This car doesn’t have the MFT so I’m not sure about the Radio reception TSB. I haven’t had any issues with reception but I haven’t seen that TSB. I‘ve seen the info on the Washer Fluid TSB but forgot about it. I’m not too concerned but might mention it if they call today.

As far as the issues I took it in for, they told me yesterday afternoon that they were replacing a bad wheel bearing and that they were doing the Input seal service for the tranny. They thought they would be finished today. So far everything seems to be going well. I’ve always gotten pretty good warranty service from Ford but I’ve never used this dealership so I’m just a bit untrusting until everything is done.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:15 AM   #5
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Amazing this is the first time in the shop for you. My '12 has been in something like 8 times. I often wonder if that's because I'm more picky than the average owner. Thinking of trading in on a '14 in the hopes it'll be bug free and rarely have to go to the shop. My '08 Taurus was in only twice over 3 1/2 years of ownership.

Hope your dealer experience goes well.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
nibyak
Focus Enthusiast

I think part of the reason I don’t have too many issues is that I drive 169 miles per day on my commute and about 160 of them are on the interstate. My main concerns are that I’m safe, comfortable and that I’m entertained. I think I’m pretty picky about the car but there wasn’t much I didn’t like about this one. My two biggest complaints were that the control levers for the turn signal and wipers are too close to the steering wheel (occasionally bump them with my knuckles) and that the interior dash lights even when dimmed all the way down are still too bright (and I know how to dim them). I drive very early in the morning on an unlit rural interstate highway and don’t need my night vision reduced by the bright lights on the dash. I’m just trying not to hit the wildlife which seems to love to run out on the road. I have never had any issues with the tranny and other than this leak, I’ve had no problems with it. It has been one of the quickest shifting automatics that I’ve ever driven. Most of my driving is droning on at 75 MPH with cruise control on (the speed limit is 70 for more than half of the drive). I have some city driving on one end and small town driving on the other but just a few miles of each. Unfortunately the city end is in Washington DC which in my opinion is one of the worst places to drive. I suffer through some suburban DC traffic some days but usually leave early enough to miss most of it. I know that it’s not totally accurate, but I have never reset the Trip 2 log and after 85,000 miles it’s showing 35.7 MPG. It’s shown that number for at least the last year. On my drive in the morning (on a full tank and after I reset the trip meter) it usually registers 39 to 41. But on the way home with the afternoon traffic and the uphill drive it will usually average out between 35 and 37MPG for the tank. The 2013 rental that I’ve driven the last 2 days showed 42 MPG this morning (although it seems to run a mile or so faster than the what the cruise is set for according to my GPS and phone). I do occasionally do the miles/gallons math and sometimes come out better than the computer and sometimes worse. It doesn’t concern me too much unless it would drastically change. For maintenance, I change the oil (every 10,000) and rotate the tires and the usual filters and stuff. I think it’s funny that on my 2000 it was 5,000 mile OCI and my 2008 had 7,500 (if I remember correctly) and this one is 10,000. I just use the Motorcraft oil and filters.

When I got rid of my 2008 Focus (after 3 years) it had about 151,000 miles on it and still had some meat left on the original brake pads. That one was in the shop at 8,000 miles to get a new valve body in the tranny. I would just not shift out of second. A 2 speed tranny was not what I bought and it was quickly fixed. There was a TSB on the 2008 tranny not shifting out of 2nd but my build date was later than the TSB covered. It would also sometimes not go into reverse. It would just rev and sit there.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:52 PM   #7
nibyak
Focus Enthusiast

Well I picked up the car today and the wheel bearings are quiet and the Transmission works like new. They finished up the install last night but didn’t have time to do the adaptive learning (or whatever it’s called) until today.

My overall experience has been very good. The dealer across town always waived the $100.00 ESP deductible but you can’t have everything.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:36 PM   #8
Black stick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100103
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo black, manual

FF Reputation: 1 Black stick Good Standing Member
I also drive about 40,000 miles a year in my 2012 manual. Apart from the engine mysteriously losing power once, the car has been totally reliable and problem free for almost 98,000 miles. Wheel bearings ok so far. Oil changes at just short of 10,000 miles (synthetic) and I have not had to top up between changes. With winter tires the car has ploughed through everything the winter threw at it (feels far more stable than the Honda Civic my wife drives). I drive almost 4 hours each day and I still love my car. Great passing power. If only it had a longer 6th gear I think I could do much better than the 37 mpg I usually see (mostly 60mph to 75mph cruising). Nibyak - how long will you keep your 2012?
Old 03-18-2014, 05:22 PM   #9
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibyak View Post
My overall experience has been very good.
I'm glad your dealer took good care of you, nibyak. Please know I'm here to help should you need anything.

Todd

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 03-18-2014, 06:39 PM   #10
Rat Fink
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92487
What I Drive: Ford, and vintage Dodge

FF Reputation: 6 Rat Fink Good Standing Member
There's a reason why they are vague on the work order like that. The technician will be able to claim diagnosis codes through the warranty system that will help make up for the crappy times he'll get paid to do the work. The leak TSB is a "set in stone" time that won't pay diagnosis but dealing with your wheel bearings will. If the problem is laid out in the work order description, then Ford warranty might do a chargeback on the dealership and the tech will get stiffed on his time (and paycheque). I'm sure your service advisor relayed the information to the tech working on your car.

Bookmarks & Social Networks