Clutch or cable problems? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
Father of 4
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117891
What I Drive: 2002 Blue SE

FF Reputation: 1 Father of 4 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Clutch or cable problems?

When shifting from 2nd to 3rd it felt like I had no gears--I was in neutral. I could move the stickshift all around and pressing on the clutch didn't seem to have any effect on anything. So I had it towed in to the shop. Could it be the clutch? I'm not very knowledgeable on cars.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
The cable broke. Almost certainly at the transmission end.
That feeling of the shift lever just flopping around with nothing 'behind; it I know well. Having replaced a shift cable for my 1999 MTX-75 and then when the replacement broke really soon after getting it fixed.

So i would say your issue is 100% the cable broke.
NO tranny issues besides replace the cable.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
Leora83
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 69136
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 chrome yellow

FF Reputation: 1 Leora83 Good Standing Member
There are two cables that connect your gearshift to the transmission. Same symptoms on my '01 ZX3--initially I could shift into first and second but not third or fourth. I thought I'd broken a cable, but it turned out that the grommets holding the cables into the transmission housing popped out of the plastic retainers and wouldn't stay in.

I solved it by pushing the grommet back in then snugging a cable tie above it to keep it in place. It held for about 100k kms before I had to redo the cable ties.

I had to remove the airbox to get at them. Once it's off you should be able to see the cables and the retainers on the top of the transmission housing.

Very cheap easy fix though!

Bookmarks & Social Networks