Lucky I guess? 50K+ never been in the shop for repair, Focus performs perfectly. - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-11-2013, 06:54 AM   #11
paul21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87707
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 0 paul21 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
That's not luck. It's from the fact that the Focus really is a solid car.
Luck is the only thing that separates you from a bad service experience. You may claim the probability of getting a car with a problem is low, fine, but CR et al will disagree in their "reliability" sections, when viewed in relation to other brands.

Threads like this are nice, but they gloss over the fact that some of us here, however small, have had problems and when we go to get them resolved we come back thinking about trade-ins and lemon laws. Since this is fairly consistent, luck is the only thing that keeps you out of that group.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 07:08 AM   #12
lewisra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93289
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 3 lewisra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul21 View Post
Since this is fairly consistent, luck is the only thing that keeps you out of that group.
Sounds like crappy dealer keeps you in that group.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:13 AM   #13
frinesi2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95914
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 frinesi2 Good Standing Member
I've only got 10k on the clock but I suspect I won't have any major problems with this car either. Of course I knew better than to get MFT or DCT when buying my car because stuff like that just ruins cars.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:55 AM   #14
Burns098356GX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94777
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 Burns098356GX Good Standing Member
I've had mine nearly a year straight from the factory, just broke 30,000km, DTC. 0 issues.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using FF Mobile
Old 01-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #15
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

FF Reputation: 7 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul21 View Post
Luck is the only thing that separates you from a bad service experience. You may claim the probability of getting a car with a problem is low, fine, but CR et al will disagree in their "reliability" sections, when viewed in relation to other brands.

Threads like this are nice, but they gloss over the fact that some of us here, however small, have had problems and when we go to get them resolved we come back thinking about trade-ins and lemon laws. Since this is fairly consistent, luck is the only thing that keeps you out of that group.

Are you really complaining about someone's positive experience? Just because the angry people say things more often doesn't mean there are more of them. My focus is perfect. I've had it for 10 000km. On my last car at this point it had been painted three times, new radio, new ECM, new passenger door panel, new antenna, new driver seat appolstery, new strut, all fasteners re torqued and that was just the first 10 000km.
See the difference between praise and a complaint?
Old 01-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #16
Quantos
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100622
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Sedan Focus Man.

FF Reputation: 1 Quantos Good Standing Member
Rule of thumb in the customer service industry: unhappy customers will ALWAYS be much more vocal than happy customers. The rate of failure of a car simply cannot be calculated from forum posts.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #17
gsxrboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103574
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 gsxrboy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantos View Post
Rule of thumb in the customer service industry: unhappy customers will ALWAYS be much more vocal than happy customers. The rate of failure of a car simply cannot be calculated from forum posts.
Agree completely.

My car is absolutely perfect, MFT, fit and finish, performance, I couldn't be more happier. This car has been solid from day 1 and now I am about to break 12k.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gsxrboy/focus
Old 01-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #18
Burns098356GX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94777
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 Burns098356GX Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrboy View Post
Agree completely.

My car is absolutely perfect, MFT, fit and finish, performance, I couldn't be more happier. This car has been solid from day 1 and now I am about to break 12k.
Agree. For every car that rolls off the line with issues there's hundreds more that are flawless. When I've been asked if mine has any issues, I have to think of nit-picking things to say.

I'm more than happy with my Focus. if I had to buy another new car today it would be another Focus.... Maybe an ST.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using FF Mobile
Old 01-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #19
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Other than a couple of DCT software updates and a slightly (and still) rattling headliner I have to admit my Focus has stayed away from the dealer's service department, too.

Counting the positives, no: air leaks, water leaks, panel fit problems, tire vibrations, check engine lights, entertainment system hiccups, stalls, electrical issues, oil consumption, fluid leaks, suspension clunks... you get the picture.

Consumer Reports gives the Focus better or much better than average reliability marks for all categories except (iirc) "tranmission - minor" and "entertainment systems". So my experience is not exactly out-of-the-ordinary.

Despite this good experience I'm still not quite a Focus Fanatic because of the the behavior of the DCT. I accept that mine behaves more-or-less as it was engineered to, but it still isn't very good. Shift points that seem way too low causing bogging and stumbling, some shift unpredictability, a true reluctance to downshift promptly, occasional lunges and harsh shifts, annoying lag when shifting it manually, et al make it rather unpleasant to drive. Plus, stories here (which I agree may not represent a good cross-section of owners), suggest the thing can turn on you at almost any time. Ford seems uninterested in making progress on the 2012s post - 12b37, so what I have may be as good as it will ever be.

If Ford had been able to launch this with the 1.6 EcoBoost and 6 speed conventional automatic combination used in its Escape and Fusion platform mates, I think they would have had a world-beater. As it is, a car that's easy to love and hate at the same time.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #20
Focus805
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90582
What I Drive: 2012 Frosted Glass SEL HB 300A

FF Reputation: 1 Focus805 Good Standing Member
Took delivery 10/5/11 of my custom ordered 300A SEL built 092011. 21,000 trouble free miles. Only trip to the dealer was for the wiper motor recall and DCT update. I avoided MFT. Averaging 35.7 MPG in mostly freeway driving.

Great car.

Bookmarks & Social Networks